Re: [dxatlas] Blind Skimmer Option for Unassisted Categories

    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 21, 2008
      Hi Graham,

      All 1.xx upgrades are free for the registered users. Currently I have no
      plans re. v.2.0.

      CW Skimmer has an open programming interface, the authors of other Ham
      software can integrate their products with the Skimmer with little effort.
      Please ask the author of HRD if he is interested in doing so.

      Regarding future versions, what is the policy for existing registered
      users? I.e. register now or wait for a future version before
      registering to keep costs down? I had a look around
      http://www.dxatlas.com/CwSkimmer/ but couldn't see any information on
      this.

      Normally I wouldn't worry too much but the pricing, while undoubtably
      worth it, is above my threshold for having a real think about this and
      getting XYL authorization :-o

      Also, am I right in thinking that CW Skimmer isn't ever going to
      integrate with Ham Radio Deluxe?

      Thanks,
      Graham G3ZOD
    • ct1boh
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 22, 2008
        Bill

        There is nothing wrong with havind the dot and dash on the waterfall
        display.

        If the operator "reads" the code on the display fine, it was him and
        not the decoder (i.e. the machine).

        The waterfall display of skimmer should stay as it is now. It is the
        text of the CW from the decoders that must be removed in the Blind
        Skimmer.

        Also a faster way to tune the lines in the display, represented by the
        dots and dashes is a must. Using the mouse to click on the lines, it's
        not the most eficient way in a contest. I have suggested to Alex, that
        the arrow up/arrow down buttons in the keybord would be the ideal way
        to move the radio frequency into the next adjacent signal represented
        by the circles next to the line of each signal with the dashes and dots.

        73
        José CT1BOH

        --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "bill_w4zv" <w0zv@...> wrote:

        > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Alex, VE3NEA" <alshovk@> wrote:
        > >
        > > The Blind option has been requested by José CT1BOH and is currently
        > being
        > > developed.
        >
        > Great news Alex! I hope you can get it done a little before the CQ WW
        > CW at the end of November. Thanks for all your work with Skimmer and
        > I believe this will be a great option for those of us who like your
        > waterfall implementation but don't want the decoding. I assume you
        > will also find a way to disable the "dot and dash" display in addition
        > to the alphanumeric calls...all we really need are the encoder dots
        > and maybe some indication of signal strength.
        >
        > 73, Bill W4ZV

      • Jarmo Blomster
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 22, 2008
          Hello Alex,

          2008/10/21 Alex, VE3NEA <alshovk@...>:

          > CW Skimmer has an open programming interface,

          I would like to examine the API you mention, can I find a description somewhere?

          73's oh8kva/jarmo
        • bill_w4zv
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 22, 2008
            --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "ct1boh" <ct1boh@...> wrote:

            > There is nothing wrong with havind the dot and dash on the waterfall
            > display.
            >
            > If the operator "reads" the code on the display fine, it was him and
            > not the decoder (i.e. the machine).
            >
            > The waterfall display of skimmer should stay as it is now. It is the
            > text of the CW from the decoders that must be removed in the Blind
            > Skimmer.

            Jose and Alex, after thinking about this, I agree. This should also
            make implementation of the Blind option easier.

            > Also a faster way to tune the lines in the display, represented by the
            > dots and dashes is a must. Using the mouse to click on the lines, it's
            > not the most eficient way in a contest. I have suggested to Alex, that
            > the arrow up/arrow down buttons in the keybord would be the ideal way
            > to move the radio frequency into the next adjacent signal represented
            > by the circles next to the line of each signal with the dashes and dots.

            Yes, but move up/down only to the *yellow* dots. The white ones are
            often artifacts.

            Good suggestions Jose!

            73, Bill
          • Graham
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 22, 2008
              Hi Alex, thanks for the prompt replies. I successfully obtained XYL
              authorization (!) and have now registered before the UKP/US$ exchange
              rate gets any worse for us on this side of the Atlantic =:-O

              Thanks also for the clarification on interfacing; I had an incorrect
              mental model of the way things work and it's great to hear that in
              fact the architecture is way better. I will raise a request in the
              HRD BBS forum.

              73 de Graham G3ZOD

              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 22, 2008
                Hi Jarmo,

                There are two aspects of integration with CW Skimmer: sharing the CAT
                control of the radio and receiving the decoded callsigns. CW Skimmer uses
                the
                OmniRig engine for CAT control, this allows other programs to have
                simultaneous access to CAT with CW Skimmer. OmniRig is freeware, its
                specifications are provided at http://www.dxatlas.com/omnirig . The rest of
                interfacing is done via the Telnet protocol. CW Skimmer sends its callsign
                data via Telnet, but there is also a number of Telnet commands that allows
                the clients to read and set the operating frequency of the Skimmer, and to
                provide feedback on the status of the callsigns. These commands are
                described in the CW Skimmer Help file, under Telnet.

                > Hello Alex,
                >> CW Skimmer has an open programming interface,
                >
                > I would like to examine the API you mention, can I find a description
                > somewhere?
                >
                > 73's oh8kva/jarmo

              • Jarmo Blomster
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 22, 2008
                  Ok Alex,

                  I'll look it there, thanks.
                • Graham
                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 22, 2008
                    Oops ... CW Skimmer and HRD work fine together once you know how to do
                    the "wiring" (I need to make less assumptions and spend more time
                    reading manuals / searching!):

                    http://forums.ham-radio.ch/showpost.php?p=63620&postcount=7

                    73 de Graham G3ZOD

                    --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Graham" <grahamg3zod@...> wrote:
                    > Also, am I right in thinking that CW Skimmer isn't ever going to
                    > integrate with Ham Radio Deluxe?
                  • rt_tclay
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 29, 2008
                      You know you can already use version 1.2 "blind". Just close the
                      callsign spot window, and resize the column where callsign labels
                      appear to its minimum width. Just put the mouse on the left edge of
                      that column and click/drag. Then there is nothing identifying the
                      callsigns.

                      There is still the decoder at the very bottom, but I don't think that
                      is really much use. Writelog has had a cw decoder for years and no
                      one complained about that. I suppose you could put a piece of tape
                      over that line if it really bothers you :)

                      Tor
                      N4OGW

                      --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "bill_w4zv" <w0zv@...> wrote:

                      > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "ct1boh" <ct1boh@> wrote:
                      >
                      > > There is nothing wrong with havind the dot and dash on the
                      waterfall
                      > > display.
                      > >
                      > > If the operator "reads" the code on the display fine, it was him
                      and
                      > > not the decoder (i.e. the machine).
                      > >
                      > > The waterfall display of skimmer should stay as it is now. It is
                      the
                      > > text of the CW from the decoders that must be removed in the
                      Blind
                      > > Skimmer.
                      >
                      > Jose and Alex, after thinking about this, I agree. This should also
                      > make implementation of the Blind option easier.
                      >
                      > > Also a faster way to tune the lines in the display, represented
                      by the
                      > > dots and dashes is a must. Using the mouse to click on the lines,
                      it's
                      > > not the most eficient way in a contest. I have suggested to Alex,
                      that
                      > > the arrow up/arrow down buttons in the keybord would be the ideal
                      way
                      > > to move the radio frequency into the next adjacent signal
                      represented
                      > > by the circles next to the line of each signal with the dashes
                      and dots.

                      > Yes, but move up/down only to the *yellow* dots. The white ones are
                      > often artifacts.
                      >
                      > Good suggestions Jose!
                      >
                      > 73, Bill

                    • rt_tclay
                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 30, 2008
                        --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@...> wrote:

                        > You know you can already use version 1.2 "blind". Just close the
                        > callsign spot window, and resize the column where callsign labels
                        > appear to its minimum width. Just put the mouse on the left edge of
                        > that column and click/drag. Then there is nothing identifying the
                        > callsigns.
                        >
                        > There is still the decoder at the very bottom, but I don't think that

                        And further- you can hide the decoder at the bottom under the Windows
                        task bar. Then it is completely blind...

                        Being able to turn off all decoding would probably speed it up
                        considerably however.

                        Tor
                        N4OGW
                      • bill_w4zv
                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 30, 2008
                          --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@...> wrote:

                          > You know you can already use version 1.2 "blind". Just close the
                          > callsign spot window, and resize the column where callsign labels
                          > appear to its minimum width.

                          Maybe not "minimum"...you still need the dots to be able to click on
                          to send your receiver there. I'm sure Alex will come up with
                          something a little more elegant which has no possibility of
                          disqualification for the unassisted category.

                          73, Bill
                        • rt_tclay
                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 30, 2008
                            I don't understand...I just click on a signal in the waterfall
                            display. It tunes the receiver there. You don't have to click on a
                            dot. Yes, sometimes I have to touch up the tuning with the radio knob,
                            but with a little practice you get very close.

                            Also, the dots still do show up, so you can click on those if you
                            want. The minimum resize width is not zero, but seems to be just
                            enough to keep the dots.

                            Try it, just resizing the column eliminates all the text display but
                            the dots are kept.

                            Tor
                            N4OGW

                            --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "bill_w4zv" <w0zv@...> wrote:

                            > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "rt_tclay" <rt_clay@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > You know you can already use version 1.2 "blind". Just close the
                            > > callsign spot window, and resize the column where callsign labels
                            > > appear to its minimum width.
                            >
                            > Maybe not "minimum"...you still need the dots to be able to click on
                            > to send your receiver there. I'm sure Alex will come up with
                            > something a little more elegant which has no possibility of
                            > disqualification for the unassisted category.
                            >
                            > 73, Bill

                          • rt_tclay
                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 30, 2008
                              It can also be argued that "clicking on dots" in the present version
                              of Skimmer (even if callsigns are hidden) should fall in the
                              "assisted" class. Why? Because the color of the dots indicates
                              something about whether Skimmer has decoded and/or verified a call.

                              So an "unassisted" mode would need to remove any coloring from the dots.

                              I don't see anything wrong with just having the waterfall going, with
                              dots and text hidden.

                              It would be however possible to distinguish between a carrier and a
                              real cw signal based on statistics (signal variability) and not text
                              decoding.

                              Tor
                              N4OGW
                            • rt_tclay

                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 31, 2008
                                  Just an observation on this thread.

                                  With Skimmer in "Blind" mode, I don't see much difference then, compared
                                  to if you had Spectran (or any other spectrum waterfall display program)
                                  showing, other than you can click on a signal to tune the radio.

                                  Some would no doubt say that feature was "an assistance" too (click to
                                  tune) There again, I'm not a contesting type these days (been there,
                                  done that etc).. And I'm sure the purists would say that having any
                                  sort of bandspread spectrum/waterfall display showing adjacent stations
                                  was an unfair advantage.

                                  As an aside, I just wish the contesters would keep the beacon
                                  allocations clear +- 100Hz or so of a weekend. Here in the UK, 20m in
                                  particular often has overseas CW, RTTY, even SSB stations working right
                                  next to (within 10Hz) or on top of the beacons. If you listen with mk1
                                  ear-ole, it's plain to see (hear) that they cannot even hear other
                                  people calling them, so they probably cant hear the beacons.

                                  The quality of some contest signals has to be questioned too, if it's
                                  not sat directly on top of 14.100, the splatter or sproggies get you,
                                  often from something 10's of kHz away! I'm fairly happy the RX is OK
                                  (TS870s with attenuation and AIP on etc) as it's not just some of the
                                  "big" signals that are bad, many of the less than S9 signals are
                                  appalling too!

                                  Still, even under those conditions, Faros (subject change) seems to do a
                                  remarkable job detecting the presence of a distance beacon that I can't
                                  even hear through the mayhem. OK so Faros seems to work OK, that is
                                  when the big signals don't depress the radio's AGC too much. I have the
                                  rig screwed down to 100Hz bandwidth, and even then it's a problem at
                                  times.

                                  Each to their own..

                                  73.

                                  Dave G0WBX.