Re: [dxatlas] DXAtlas - USA County Award and Russian Districts Award

  • Dan Schaaf
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 12, 2008
      Joe

      Tell me, how are these used? Do we unzip them to the DXAtlas folder? Or what?

      I hesitate to unzip things until I know where and how it is used.

      Best Regards
      Dan Schaaf

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 12, 2008
        Dan,

        Inside the ZIP file are two files -- the one file is a TEXT file
        entitled:

        readme_howtouse.txt

        That TEXT file (this one is for the USA County Award)
        gives the following instructions:

        The USACAlabels.lst file that is enclosed in this
        ZIP file contains ALL of the 3,077 USA Counties and the
        coordinates/info for all of them.

        Since we will be USING the Islands ICON and Islands Load
        Island List ... to be able to see the USA-CA data/info --

        To use this USACAlabels.lst file -

        (1) SAVE the USACAlabels.lst file into your DXAtlas'
        Islands Directory.

        (2) Open the DXAtlas program.

        (3) Go to Main Menu / File / Load / Island List... ---
        and select the USACAlabels.lst from the
        choices available.

        (4) Go to Main Menu / Map / Labels /

        and select the Island(USACAlabels.lst) from
        the choices.

        (5) To view the Index for the USA County (FIPS) Ref numbers --
        Go to Main Menu / View / Index...

        and select the Islands entry from the choices.

        (6) You now have full view of the USA County labels
        and also the Index.

        NOTE!! :: To be able to VIEW ALL of the USA County Labels,
        you can OPEN up the DxAtlas.ini file using the Notepad or Wordpad
        program - and ADD/Edit-in to the

        [Map]

        area of that file the following line:

        OverZoom=8

        Save the DxAtlas.ini file -- and NOW, you can ZOOM-IN
        far enough to be able to view ALL of the USA County
        labels.

        Final NOTE!! : EXCEPT for Alaska - the County Ref numbers used
        are the same as the FIPS (Federal Information Processing Standards)
        County codes.

        Dan - the LST file(s) are very easy to use.

        73 Joe WA6AXE

        > To: dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com
        > From: dan-schaaf@...
        > Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 19:28:11 -0400
        > Subject: Re: [dxatlas] DXAtlas - USA County Award and Russian Districts Award
        >
        > Joe
        >
        > Tell me, how are these used? Do we unzip them to the DXAtlas folder? Or what?
        >
        > I hesitate to unzip things until I know where and how it is used.
        >

        > Best Regards
        > Dan Schaaf
        > K3ZXL www.k3zxl.com "In the Beginning, there was Spark Gap"

      • Dan Schaaf
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 12, 2008
          Joe

          Does this overwrite the Islands list so that Islands are no longer available ? Or does it just append the counties list to the islands list?

          Best Regards
          Dan Schaaf

          Inside the ZIP file are two files -- the one file is a TEXT file
          entitled:

          readme_howtouse.txt

          That TEXT file (this one is for the USA County Award)
          gives the following instructions:

          The USACAlabels.lst file that is enclosed in this
          ZIP file contains ALL of the 3,077 USA Counties and the
          coordinates/info for all of them.

          Since we will be USING the Islands ICON and Islands Load
          Island List ... to be able to see the USA-CA data/info --

          To use this USACAlabels.lst file -

          (1) SAVE the USACAlabels.lst file into your DXAtlas'
          Islands Directory.

          (2) Open the DXAtlas program.

          (3) Go to Main Menu / File / Load / Island List... ---
          and select the USACAlabels.lst from the
          choices available.

          (4) Go to Main Menu / Map / Labels /

          and select the Island(USACAlabels.lst) from
          the choices.

          (5) To view the Index for the USA County (FIPS) Ref numbers --
          Go to Main Menu / View / Index...

          and select the Islands entry from the choices.

          (6) You now have full view of the USA County labels
          and also the Index.

          NOTE!! :: To be able to VIEW ALL of the USA County Labels,
          you can OPEN up the DxAtlas.ini file using the Notepad or Wordpad
          program - and ADD/Edit-in to the

          [Map]

          area of that file the following line:

          OverZoom=8

          Save the DxAtlas.ini file -- and NOW, you can ZOOM-IN
          far enough to be able to view ALL of the USA County
          labels.

          Final NOTE!! : EXCEPT for Alaska - the County Ref numbers used
          are the same as the FIPS (Federal Information Processing Standards)
          County codes.

          Dan - the LST file(s) are very easy to use.

          73 Joe WA6AXE

          > To: dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com
          > From: dan-schaaf@...
          > Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 19:28:11 -0400
          > Subject: Re: [dxatlas] DXAtlas - USA County Award and Russian Districts Award
          >
          > Joe
          >
          > Tell me, how are these used? Do we unzip them to the DXAtlas folder? Or what?
          >
          > I hesitate to unzip things until I know where and how it is used.
          >

          > Best Regards
          > Dan Schaaf
          > K3ZXL www.k3zxl.com "In the Beginning, there was Spark Gap"

        • Joe Glockner
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 12, 2008
            Dan

            Each LIST (*.lst) file is a totally separate file -- no one over-writes anything
            .. you simply follow my instructions - and use it ... we all simply use
            the ISLANDS ICON and Load list, etc -- simply to be able to USE the
            County or RDA Listing..

            The Islands.lst file is never touched ... when you want to go BACK to the
            Islands listing -- you simply LOAD it again .. vice loading either the
            County or RDA LST file(s).

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 12, 2008
              Thanks Joe

              Best Regards