New ideas on FAROS

  • dk1vi
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 9, 2008
      Hello,
      though not being a "shortwave ham", I am currently trying out FAROS
      giving me good insight into sw propagation. However I find a feature
      missing: there is no indication if a beacon is reported to be "off the
      air". There is a program VOAprop (http://www.g4ilo.com/voaprop.html)
      that gives just this information after retrieving it, probably
      somewhere from NCDXF webpage.
      With this info background of the beacons callsign in FAROS could be
      changed to red if the beacon is off the air. So you dont' get a false
      information that propagation into beacons direction is not possible
      but in reality beacon is just off.

      Maybe Alex finds some time to implement this.

      Regards
      Ernst, DK1VI
    • Dave Baxter
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 10, 2008
        Another new(?) idea...

        Question:
        In a future release of Faros, could it be possible to allow time
        synchronisation from an attached GPS receiver, one that provides a 1PPS
        signal as well as the NMEA sentences, much as the beacon's do
        themselves? I guess you'd have to use a "Real" com port, and one of
        the handshake lines configured to cause an interrupt, and all the fun
        and games that entails within Windows... I do realise it'd not be a
        trivial thing to do.

        Anyway, I ask because......

        I have recently been seeing problems I think caused by the NTP servers
        my ISP provides, resulting in Faros's timing to drift significantly
        causing all beacon reception reports to sometimes show an "Unknown"
        path. (This is independent to the continuing VE8AT trouble...)

        I've asked questions to my ISP about it, but so far, no reply (not
        holding my breath on this)...

        That would also allow us to use Faros when out portable too. Currently
        there are some problems doing that with a mobile internet connection.
        Not all mobile providers will let the NTP protocol work, I suspect they
        block the ports or something. Even when it does work, the timing
        "quality" is very poor, with many 10's or 100's of mS apparent jitter,
        as seen in the clock accuracy plot. Lastly, the cost to run a mobile
        internet link in the UK is not insignificant sadly. But the biggest
        problem is the availability of a good quality reliable NTP server link
        via that method.

        Or... Does anyone know of an affordable GPS based NTP server program or
        whatever, even if it means dedicated hardware with Linux on or
        something.

        There are lots of things on the web that look like they could do the job
        (Google for "FreeBSD NTP GPS" for example) but none of them are exactly
        documented well enough for anyone to reliably duplicate, interesting
        though they are. There always seem to be at least one "dead link" to
        needed information. Oh well.....

        Other than the above troubles, Faros is working well at my QTH. Thanks
        Alex.

        Cheers All..

        Dave G0WBX.

        This mail has been scanned by Palmer Cook Computer Services Limited. www.palmercook.co.uk