Trying Out Skimmer

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 4, 2008
      It's been pointed out to me that the original URL for the no-new-hardware
      intro to Skimmer may cause propblems for some browsers because of the
      spaces in it. Alex had used my original filename, which was more
      informative, but the URL has now been renamed
      to http://www.dxatlas.com/CwSkimmer/Files/Skimmerintro.pdf

      73, Pete N4ZR
    • Dan Schaaf
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 4, 2008
        Hi Pete,

        I just downloaded it and reg code. But in the Settings Tab, there is no Tab for call signs and also the sampling rates are greyed out. Any advice?

        Also, will it receive calls and text on really weak sigs in the noise?

        Also, will it integrate with AALog and put call signs in the New QSO window? I don't see that happening here.

        Best Regards
        Dan Schaaf

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 4, 2008
          Dan, which version did you download? It should be version 1.2 - which has
          the callsign validation code and the calls tab. If you got 1.1 by mistake,
          your registration code is good for 1.2 also, I believe. Sampling rates are
          greyed out in 3-KHz mode because all the sound card is dealing with is a
          3-KHz-wide sample of transceiver audio.

          It goes down to roughly 4 dB SNR with good copy. Also, one of its beauties
          is that it outlasts QSB, and once it "knows" who it is, it posts it, even
          if that takes up to 10 minutes.

          I don't know anything about AALog. If you can receive packet spots from a
          telnet cluster, then it should work, though DX4WIN doesn't put Skimmer
          spots in the spots window, just displays them in the packet window
          itself. It's the result of some inflexibility in the spot pattern
          recognition code. I understand they plan to fix that in a coming version.

          So tell me more about AALog.

          73, Pete

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 4, 2008
            Pete

            Details of AALog can be found at www.dxsoft.com , but, at minimum, it directly integrates with Bandmaster, CWType, CWGet andTruetty. Since I have over 6500 QSOs logged in AALog, I plan to stay with it. There is a public beta on the v3.0 AALog if you have already paid for v2.47. v3.0 is very much enhanced to include LOTW confirmations and Grid Square Award Statistics among a long list of other award statistics.

            I don't need the Telnet function since Bandmaster does enuf for me and I am not a contester.

            Primarily I am hoping that CWSkimmer can pull out weak signals in the mud since my hearing gets worse as time goes on. It would be nice to see a "K3ZXL 599 BK" after I reply to a weak signal. Since QSB can really kill a weak sig reply.

            Example: T209DX must be running 100 watts since he is always weak and QRN and QSB make it tough, but I am sure he can hear a KW from me. I just need to know that he has replied to me.

            I will download the Skimmer again since my unreg version is several months old.

            Best Regards
            Dan Schaaf
            ===============================
            NOBSKA
            www.nobska.net
            ===============================
            Cape Cod Instruments
            www.oceanbiz.net
            ===============================

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 4, 2008
              Pete,

              One thing that would be nice is if it could be possible to set CW Skimmer to the Transmit VFO. When trying to bust apileup, I do not want my receive VFO to change frequency when I click on the last call sign that sent 599. In other words if I want to search and pounce on the freq that the DX is listening to, the radio needs to change to that freq when I click on that call sign.

              I RCV on VFO B and transmit on A but B changes according to where I click. If I reverse VFOs then the current RCV VFO changes. Can't find a work-around.

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 4, 2008
                Hi Dan,

                AALog integrates with Band Master and puts the callsign in the edit box when
                the spot is clicked. You can tell Band Master to receive spots from the CW
                Skimmer Telnet server, then you will have both cluster spots and Skimmer
                spots to click on.

                73 Alex VE3NEA

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 4, 2008
                  Hi Alex

                  How do I "tell Band Master to receive spots from the CW
                  Skimmer Telnet server " ?

                  Best Regards
                  Dan Schaaf
                  ===============================
                  NOBSKA
                  www.nobska.net
                  ===============================
                  Cape Cod Instruments
                  www.oceanbiz.net
                  ===============================

                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 4, 2008
                    Add Skimmer's address, e.g., Skimmer=localhost:7300 or
                    MySkimmer=127.0.0.1:7300, to the list of cluster servers, (Cluster.lst), and
                    select it in the Tools / Telnet Servers dialog. To combine spots from a
                    cluster with callsigns from the Skimmer, select one cluster server in the
                    list, in addition to the Skimmer server.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 4, 2008
                      Dan, this really is a question for Alex, but I suspect this is either a
                      limitation of Omnirig or else you need to modify the Omnirig .ini file for
                      your radio.

                      73, Pete