887Re: [dxatlas] Omni-Rig and Logbooks

  • rdvrey
    Jul 2, 2008
      It might be that there is a difference in the way we work. You like to
      work your way and I my way. Neither one is bad or better. My rig as
      any rig now a days has inbuilt intelligence that is far greater in
      computing power then the navigation computer of the Apollo that went
      to the moon. And the technical excellence that nowadays rigs have is
      due too computer added designing only. Unless you are working a old
      analog rig I can imagine your reaction. Since it has serial
      communication with a PC its not old. I belong to the generation that
      works with computers every day, and like to do so. If I want a logbook
      that can do that so be it. Its for me to decide. If AAlog works for
      you I am happy for you but maybe it doesn't do that for me. I will
      test it and I had already downloaded it before your first comment.

      --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Schaaf" <dan-schaaf@...> wrote:

      > Well, I applaud the advancements in digital automation and control
      on radios. However, when you watch videos of DXers and DXPeditions in
      operation, the left hand is usually always on the VFO and the right
      hand is operating the keyboard and Morse Key. It is extremely
      efficient to have the VFO in hand when operating in pileups or trying
      to pull out a weak signal. Don't get me wrong, I am sure that a
      skilled mouse operator can accomplish the same goals. But there is
      nothing like fine tuning the knob manually because you are tuning for
      your ear, and the ear/brain combo likes analog moreso than digital.
      > And those DXers seem to have the radio in front of them and all
      other accessories offset from the radio.

      > Anyway, to each his own. That is what makes this hobby unique.
      > But, I think you will like the AALog/BM/DXAtlas combo a suitable
      setup. It may mean that you have to adjust operating habits. Or maybe
      the software that you are using presently is a better choice for you.

      > BTW, You need to download HAMPORT along with Omnirig. Hamport is the
      actual interface between the BM and AALog and rig.Now, Hamport DOES
      allow you to incrementally change frequency in 10 Hz increments.