806Re: Decoding performance

  • rt_tclay
    Apr 26, 2008
      --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "bill_w4zv" <w0zv@...> wrote:

      > Thanks Pete and Tor! Yes Tor, I simply had not discovered how to
      > increase the window size on the display.
      >
      > How do you feel about Skimmer's ability to decode weaker signals in
      > QSB and QRN? I'm somewhat unimpressed so far but it could be I'm
      not
      > doing something right. Does the DSP filter width affect all
      decoders
      > or just the one displayed with the green bar? Based on what I've
      seen

      I don't know for sure, but I think the program just uses the green
      bar setting for the audio output filter width.

      I can copy better than Skimmer on weak signals. If you watch it
      trying to copy a weak signal, it usually gets a few letters correct
      each time, but has a hard time putting together the full correct
      callsign. That's where the brain obviously has an advantage, when you
      are copying you can say definitely if you copied a particular letter
      and mark that mentally as "good copy".

      If on your computer Skimmer is reaching 100% cpu, then yes, it is
      having to reduce the number of decoders. I don't know the algorithm
      used to do that, but yes, it might do that based signal strength. Try
      reducing the bandwidth. My old 1GHz Athlon can't keep up with 96 KHz,
      but is ok at 48 KHz if the band isn't too busy.

      Tor
      N4OGW
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic