      From: "jeraldvolpe" <techmail@...>
      To: <dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, March 29, 2008 02:43 PM
      Subject: [dxatlas] CW Skimmer 1.1 doesn't allow for transceivers with more
      than 3 KHz bandwidth....

      I just installed version 1.1 over my version 1.0. I appreciate the
      changes but I am disappointed that you are still limiting standard
      transceivers to a 3 kHz maximum skim! I wrote several times regarding
      those of us with transceivers that can open up beyond 3kHz. I am one
      of several thousand Ten-Tec Orion and Orion II owners (a transceiver
      that is heavily used in contests and serous DXing) and we are able to
      open up our receivers to 8 kHz in the CW mode... especially our second
      receiver which doesn't share the roofing filters of the main receiver.

      Perhaps there a way I can fudge the 'software defined radio' settings
      to work? I haven't figured out a magic set of settings so far...
      Seriously Alex, being able to open up that 3KHz window to 4, 5, ....
      or in Orion owners situation... 8 kHz would truly add to the power of
      CW Skimmer.

      I had already mentioned a request to allow selectable use of one or
      the other of the transceivers two VFOs. I don't see any mention of
      that in this release either. Now I modified my OmniRig Orion
      definition file to trick CW Skimmer to read and modify the second VFO,
      but I don't think most users are up to that level of control file
      modification. Couldn't this be added within CW Skimmer for those who's
      transceivers have second receivers?

      Also another future 'enhancement' to consider might be something like
      a 'sticky preset' that we could use to set a CW Skimmer preset
      frequency so that we can quickly return to a known base frequency. For
      example, the DX is listening up 5 to 10 kHz.... right now my second
      receiver/transmitter starts at that point but as soon as I click on a
      signal in the CW Skimmer waterfall the original reference point is
      lost. Many DX jump around not following a specific pattern of slowly
      up or down.... so having a 'sticky preset' we could quickly return to
      that base skim point and proceed up from there.

      Please don't think my comments in any way reduce what is an exemplary
      software tool for amateur radio CW ops.... just love to see it be even
      more for many of us.

      Jerry, KG6TT
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic