183Re: [dxatlas] 90-day SSN data for HamCAP

  • bill_w4zv
    Apr 9, 2005
      --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@c...> wrote:
      > I think the thing that is confusing Bill (and me, for that matter)
      is the
      > large divergence between the various sunspot numbers available to
      plug into
      > Ham Cap. For example, for April 2005:
      >
      > Ham Cap's built-in number (old NOAA predicted): 30
      > Current NOAA predicted smoothed SSN: 28.5 (pretty close)
      > IonoProbe's computed 90-day smoothed SSN: 47 (!)

      Yet the average montthly sunspots for the past 3 months are:

      2005 01 31.3
      2005 02 29.1
      2005 03 24.8

      Average = 28.4, which is very close to the built-in 30 and current
      NOAA predicted 28.5.

      ftp://ftp.ngdc.noaa.gov/STP/SOLAR_DATA/SUNSPOT_NUMBERS/MONTHLY.PLT

      How can IonoProbe's computed 90-day SSN possibly be 47? This is
      different by nearly a factor of two!

      73, Bill
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic