1752Re:Faros- IC-7700 and RS232 interface

  • Dave Baxter
    Jan 28, 2010
      Hi..

      I do not know the IC-7700

      If the radio can take commands to set it's mode to CW Narrow, and then
      set the frequency etc via the RS232, it can be made to work, bit of a
      "Sledgehammer to crack a nut" though, for use with Faros!

      You'll need to review the radio's manual, and probably create your own
      driver .ini file for OmniRig so it sends the correct information, the
      way the radio needs it. Then it will work. If you need help with
      that, contact me off list, as good though the OmniRig information is,
      there are a few things to trip you up if not careful.

      C-IV interfaces are easy to make yourself (NEVER EVER buy one, they are
      a rip-off when you know what's in them!) if needed. But they are only
      a hardware interface, they do not process or alter any command or data.
      I think in this case though, I suspect the 7700 can also behave as a
      C-IV interface, between the RS232 system and other ICOM radios that have
      only C-IV ports. Not 100% sure.

      Is the radio's manual (with remote command details) available in digital
      form? Much easier to tell if I could see. If it is, don't email it,
      let me know, and I'll make somewhere available for you to FTP it.

      Regards.

      Dave G0WBX (or at present till the end of the week, F/G0WBX)