      From: dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com [mailto:dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com]
      On Behalf Of vk4iu
      Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 19:08
      To: dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [dxatlas] Re: Timing Question

      ... one other thing.

      Dave, I think you have your time scales for things at the wrong order of
      magnitude. We need time to millisecond accuracy.

      Keep in mind that we have already noted that a "consumer" GPS - which in
      reality is what you are asking for - a timing module with a PIC
      microprocessor - cannot do the job using a serial interface.

      A little PIC timer we built from parts would never be able to keep time to
      anything like the accuracy we need. Let alone the problem of interfacing it
      back into the PC to "control things" as the performance levels we need to
      achieve millisecond accuracy.

      What you have described is fundamentally what we need to do, but the
      accuracy we need cannot be achieved with your suggestion.

      Peter VK4IU

      --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dave@...> wrote:
      > Hi Peter and Dave Baxter-
      > The comments are wonderfully clear and pertinent. I think we have
      > circumscribed the issue while a single solution doesn't present itself
      > clearly.
      > I would like to suggest a solution and see if it can be a starting
      > point for
      > discussion:
      > 1. A GPS unit
      > 2. A PIC-based timing module with intelligence to establish
      > predictable time pulses (we don't need minutes or seconds, just a
      > pulse, from a single reference time point).
      > 3. An interface
      > 4. Software to provide Faros a pulse train.
      > That is, once a timing mark, composed of a minute and second sourced
      > from the GPS, is established for Faros, then thereafter all that's
      > needed is a pulse. The PC timing pulse wouldn't matter. A really
      > inexpensive PIC timer isn't expensive, is it?
      > Is this an additional burden on Alex? I don't know. But if the hook
      > where timing is identified and that point is opened, this solution
      > would work. We wouldn't have to worry about PC time at all.
      > What say ye all?
      > Dave
      > DM78qg // KA0SWT
      > /++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++/
      GPS, are the only real
      > alternatives for amateur radio. There will never be an RF feed of any
      > into an NTP server - its fundamentally not a useful technique - they
      > used an atomic clock to time the broadcast - at the other end it has
      > to be too grossly degraded for use by ntpd - and, with the Internet so
      > wide spread few will be bothered to attempt it.
      > Ones own "time reference" is clearly the solution - if the Internet
      > fails to deliver with sufficient accuracy. The most appropriate is
      > GPS. For around $600 US http://www.beaglesoft.com/stsyhome.htm will
      > provide a complete solution - just as Dave has attempted, and I want
      > to implement, right out of the box. Its down side, apart from the price,
      is the use of a Windows PC.
      > But, I would not be surprised to find one could get a good enough
      > result with it and Faros on the ONE PC.
      > I find the $600 US too expensive, when I can buy the same GPS 18x LVS
      > for about $90 US, and implement my own system using ntpd. I am lucky
      > that I have 30 years experience in IT Technical Support from old
      > mainframes to multiple PC servers and large PC networks. But, Dave's
      > experience with the Garmin 16 LVS has given me plenty of reason to
      > tread carefully. My first look at the sites referenced in my previous
      messages got me very excited.
      > The devil may be in the serial port of the PC.
      > Dave is correct, in that most of us simply want to know that we can
      > hear the beacons. I want to do a lot more than that. Let me state
      > the problem we are trying to solve as I see it.
      > We want Faros to record observations of beacons, with sufficient
      > accuracy that we: 1) don't miss any observations, and 2) can easily
      > tell short path from long path. Faros time needs continuous time data
      > randomly distributed within about 60ms of the correct time.
      > Using the data we can then: Analyse band openings over time to
      > improve our DX - find/create matching holes in our busy schedules to
      > work DX; Use different antennas and work out the actual radiation
      > patterns - help us tune the antenna; Compare antennas; Study RF
      > propagation; Plan contest operation to maximise our score; Listen in
      > real time during a contest for band openings; Compare QTHs; and lots more
      I have not thought of yet.
      > Note that I said "we" can tell short path from long path. Let me
      > describe what I do with Faros to help sort out signals, and compensate
      > for minor time variation.
      > I have an ICOM IC-706IIG, and a muli-band vertical antenna, disconnect
      > the antenna when storms are about, but otherwise the system runs
      > Faros creates a GIF image to a schedule. I personally make little use
      > of them. The Details Panel, and the History panel, are created from,
      > and can be re-created from the beacon logs. So I simply let Faros do
      > its thing day after day. I use a "scheduled task" at 00:01 UTC in
      > Windows, and a free Windows SDK tool, called ROBOCOPY to copy the logs
      > from the Faros directory to a "holding directory" which is "shared" to
      > my network - I carefully avoid the "current" beacon log created at
      > 00:00. When time permits, on anther PC, I start TWO copies of Faros,
      > click on pause, arrange the windows side by side, and on each Details
      panel, load a beacon log from the month/day I want
      > to analyse/compare from the "holding directory". The "delay correction"
      > the second PC could be anything - I adjust it to put the signals where
      > I want them - the SP line probably, then make the analysis. If I need
      > to, I save a GIF image of the period for reference in my notes -
      > mainly I use GreenShot or Snagit or MS OneNote to take snapshots of the
      > Clearly if time is all over the place, this technique becomes less useful.
      > But, even with a high, and variable, latency Internet connection I
      > have found acceptable results - that is signals that follow the SP
      > line 90% of the time intra-day, with only small variation over days,
      > small enough that I can compensate with the technique described. The
      > results are good enough one can see the Ionosphere's "path time"
      > changing for some beacons. I would provide images, but the "black
      > hats" on the Internet have caused that to be off limits.
      > As you seem to have discovered with the Garmin 16lvs, the devil is in
      > the detail, in getting any system of anything to work correctly. I am
      > headed in the same direction, I am sure I will need a lot of luck.
      > How can I help you find a "configuration of time servers" that will
      > give you better results. Over time I may be able to help with the
      > Garmin 16 LVS and the Linux software. My Garmin 18x LVS is on back
      > order - I expect delivery in a few weeks, and will implement it over
      > the coming months. These days, I am a "house husband" and I have a
      > new found appreciation for the effort of house wives and mothers and
      carers. Time to make the troops breakfast!