1295Improving the skimmer.dxwatch.com website

    Jan 20, 2009
      As some of you probably know, I'm working with Felipe, PY1NB on his
      web-site that collects CW Skimmer spots from Skimmers across North America
      and Europe, and presents them in real-time graphical form, and in lists and
      and through structured searches.

      Now that signal strength (or at least signal to noise ratio) is part of
      each Skimmer spot, there is potential for some interesting new uses, like
      using http://skimmer.dxwatch.com to compare your signal with others at any
      given Skimmer, on selected bands, or tracking the variations in your own
      signal across a band opening.

      Felipe would like to know what contesters, in particular, would like to do
      with the data that his site is collecting, so that he can design
      appropriate queries. For example, he could make it possible for you to ask
      for spots at OY3JE on 40 meters November 26-28, 2008 for K3LR, W3LPL and
      KC1XX, and *you*, so you could compare your signals with theirs under
      different band conditions.

      In the meantime, The Spot Search function of the site has been
      expanded. Under DX Spots on the main menu you can now ask to see up to 150
      spots of any station from a particular Skimmer, or spots of a particular DX
      station by any station in the Skimmer network. That should permit some
      useful off-line data manipulation, but we realize it's not nearly so nifty
      as having customizable queries that you can use quickly on-line.

      If you have ideas about new queries for the web site, please drop him a
      note off the reflector, preferably with a copy to me.

      73, Pete N4ZR
      the World Contest Station Database is back, and updated daily
      www.conteststations.com
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic