119[dxatlas] Re: Morse Runner

  • f6irf
    Nov 22, 2004
      Alex
      Many thanks for releasing Morse-runner...
      I have been a PED-freak for years, and it's really nice to have
      something running under XP, which emulates modern contest software.
      Sound is great and flutter / fading really realistics....
      A few remarks/suggestions, after having spent quite a few hours with
      it along the weekend:

      1- the main problem I face with MR is the lack of "type ahead
      buffer": this is implemented in all major contest software since CT,
      and it is one of the main tip to improve pileup rate... intensive
      training with morse-runner is a bit "counter-productive" in this
      aspect.

      2- The ESM mode behavior is not N1MM-like (not even WL-like)- Don't
      like the cursor auto-jumping in report field when "enter" is pressed -
      In my opinion field change should happen only with spacebar. (this is
      linked to a/m point - it should be possible to finish typing the
      call, while the call is already transmitted - meaning you have
      pressed enter)

      3- In major contest software which implement ESM, the message sent
      depends on cursor position and if the field is empty or not - it is
      not always the case with morse-runner (ie when you erase a call: the
      the cursor in call field)

      4- Though ctrl-W also works in N1MM, I do prefer alt-W... would be
      good to also have F11 (ie for CT, WL and Wintest users). In any case
      alt-W should reset ESM message (as mentionned above)

      5- The score obtained depends for a part on a "luck" factor (the WPX
      multipliers)- Think that the PED notation was better, as the points
      were given in relation with the call complexity: ie VP8/SM7OQO would
      give far more points than P3F or D4B. On top of that the UBN notation
      was applied (3 QSO's penalty for a "Bad" ), which is also a good
      point for training (ie you don't log a call if you are not 100% sure)

      6- The activity "setting" progression is not "smooth" enough - ie
      going from 2 to 3 makes a huge difference (to make a score 2 is
      almost the only position, as the pile becomes too heavy on 3)

      7- When setting a keying-speed to 36 for example, I get the
      impression that the average of stations replying is somewhat above
      36, and many stations far above this speed (ie >50)

      8- Would be nice to have real time rate-meter -ie 10 QSO rate and
      hour-rate

      9- Think you need to differenciate the competition mode, from the
      training mode:
      a-In competition mode the master.dta should be locked (or content
      checked ) - otherwise cheating is too easy and the high score table
      meaningless ;-)
      b-In training mode, it should be possible to enter also the given
      report in the call DB - this would allow to emulate major contests
      like CQWW (waz) or ARRLDX(state for non-US stations)

      10- bad report is just theoretical - never got anything but 5NN -
      dupe also (in any case if you implement dupe, you need an indication
      that's a dupe before logging ). Anyway as no penalty is associated
      with dupes, it is a non-issue...

      11- Think too many "lids" and no way to correct logged report (when
      you are too fast)-for ex. would be nice to have the N1MM ctrl-Q
      function emulated (calls back last logged QSO in entry windows).

      12- for the fun - would be nice to have (sorry once more - like in
      PED-) a few non-computer keyed stations (i.e bug-vibro-double contact)
      and a few old-rig C or D signals... (piou piou piou piiioooouuu...)

      13- Using narrow bandwidth - ie 200hz- just make handling the pile
      more difficult (as the same number of station is within 200hz rather
      than within 600). Think to make it more realistic, you need stations
      to be spread always on the same bandwith - let say +/-300 - and a RIT
      function to be implemented....

      14- making sure a call is correct is a bit too easy: sends the call
      and the report -if the "guy" comes back with NR only you are sure you
      are right - if the "guy" comes back with call+NR you are sure you are
      wrong ...

      15- Finaly - but this one may not be that easy to implement - would
      be great to have signal strength and quality function of the "home
      call" versus "distant call" - ie for a EU station having US west-
      coast stations sounding different from east-coast...

      OK - already makes quite a few point ! If I had to keep only one it
      would obviously be the -1- above

      Best regards- Patrick
      F6IRF

      PS: also take this opportunity to thank you for "hamcap" - was a
      ioncap user, but hamcap really makes the things far simpler and
      usable during SO-operation !

      --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Alex, VE3NEA" <alshovk@d...>
      wrote:
      > Hi Gary,
      >
      > Such clicks usually indicate that the sound card is too slow, or
      the CPU is
      > overloaded.
      >
      > 73 Alex VE3NEA
      >

      > > Thanks Alex....I've been playing around with Morse Runner for a
      > > couple of days.
      > >
      > > One quick question....I'm using MS Win 98 SE and have noticed a
      > > rhythmic "clicking" while the program is running. It is pretty
      > > annoying but something one does get used to.
      > >
      > > 73,
      > >
      > > Gary K9GS
      > >

      > > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Shovkoplyas, VE3NEA"
      > > <alshovk@d...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hello,
      > > >
      > > > I have just released Morse Runner, a freeware CW contest
      simulator
      > > > with realistic audio effects.
      > > >
      > > > Download Morse Runner from
      > > > http://www.dxatlas.com/morserunner/morserunner.zip