1166Re: Web Upload for Faros

  • Dave Baxter
    Nov 11, 2008
      Hi Alex (G7KSE)

      Yes, that is much the same experience I had. The problem is not with
      the auto uploaders, but with the FTP servers at the website, they will
      timeout and drop the link if there is no traffic for a (short) period of
      time... As we have no control of that end, we are "stuffed" as we'd
      say.

      If there is an automatic FTP uploaded, that will itself close the link
      when the job is done, and then make a new connection when the next batch
      is ready, that is what we need, even on a file by file basis if need be.

      I have the tools to make such a program, but I don't sadly have the
      spare time for that (or many other things I'd like to do, not just
      radio, PC's etc)

      There are two conflicting requirements. To close the link when the
      batch work is done, and to detect when exactly that work is done. None
      of the automatic uploaders I've tried can it seems do either of them.

      I did some experiments with WinSCP and a FTP server of my own, and if
      you configure the server NOT to time out the clients connection, then
      WinSCP, AutoFTP etc work just fine all the time. BUT...

      If the connection is lost, (a network "burp" etc) then the server will
      not close the connection, and eventualy will exhaust it's network
      sockets resources, so you can see why just about all FTP servers will
      timeout a client at some point if there is no traffic. That and most
      clients inability to cleanly detect a failed link, and remake it, is the
      problem.

      The other problem, telling when the batch job is done, in some ways is
      easy, but if it's just sitting there monitoring the file system for
      changes, it has no way of telling that things are "done" for now, just
      because no changes have been made for a while. Unless you found one, I
      have not found one that will itself drop the link to the server cleanly,
      after a period of no local changes.

      Scheduled uploaders. Is probably the overall best way to go at the
      moment. They should connect to the server, shovel the data, and
      disconnect, nothing else. The problem is to get the schedule timing
      right so the website does not fall too far behind Faros, and conversely
      not to create too many unneeded updates. I guess if Faros is set to
      update the data files every quater hour say, then the sheduler could run
      every 7 1/2 minutes. Just an example, I have Faros updating the GIF's
      every hour here, so a sheduled upload every half hour, or triggered at
      specific minutes past the hour perhaps. Then you need to synchronise
      the PC's clock too, more fun and games!...

      73.

      Dave G0WBX

      > Messages
      > __________
      > 1. You have received an important Message!
      > Posted by: "hysfbce" hysfbce@... hysfbce
      > Date: Sun Nov 9, 2008 5:59 pm ((PST))
      >
      > You have received an important Message! Check it here:
      > ht tp://byd yvfu.zo omshare.com/fi les/ke nny.htm

      Yeah, as if I'm ever going to click on that! I broke the link just to
      make sure...
      Ignore it folks! No matter how well protected you may think you are, if
      you cause your system to down load a malicious web page, you can still
      get a nasty suprise, and not always imediatly!
      I'm not saying that page is know to be bad, but this is how the bad guys
      work...

      > Messages in this topic (1)
      > __________
      > 2a. Re: Web Upload for Faros
      > Posted by: "g7kse" g7kse@... g7kse
      > Date: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:49 am ((PST))
      >
      > Where do I start. I tried a whole heap of different client.
      >
      > WinSCP - Did the upload fine but timed out and couldn't keep
      > alive AutoFTP from Primasoft - As WinSCP AUTOftp Manager -
      > Worked but being married to a Scot a free solution was what I
      > was after.
      > CoreFTP - Done on a schedule rather than as a syncro service.
      > Worked well.
      > FTP Synchronizer - Expensive but worked
      > Carbon FTP - Never got off the ground as I found the Glen
      > Delahoy AutoFTP
      >
      > I struggled so hard to make the keep alive part working that
      > I ended up giving up and ended up using a macro recorder and
      > scheduler in XP to run it. The ftp part was the biggest
      > headache and still isn't failsafe on my system.
      >
      > I'm planning on a pc upgrade so I'm hoping that if I switch
      > to a better motherboard then it'll not give out the errors so
      > regularly
      >
      > --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dave@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Alex, The only problem I had was the time out and disconnect
      > on idle. I need a keep-alive feature I guess. I have another
      > FTP program that does that but won't upload on file change.
      > What other FTP clients are available other that SCR?
      > >
      > > Thanks a million,
      > >
      > > Dave

    • Show all 19 messages in this topic