      From: g7kse
      To: dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 2:36 AM
      Subject: [dxatlas] Re: Web Upload for Faros

      --- In dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Baxter" <dave@...> wrote:

      > Hi...
      >
      > At the moment I host my own web site so the auto FTP upload isn't an
      > issue for me, yet. However I did it this way as like Alex (G7KSE) I had
      > lots of problems with WinSCP, not least that most servers will auto
      > disconnect you, if there is no traffic between you and them, 15 minutes
      > was way too long! Any less, and I'd risk the ISP police complaining
      > about something.
      >
      > I've looked at AutoFTP, it would appear to do the job, but I've not yet
      > used it in anger.
      >
      > For web page creation, I started with the example liked on the IBP
      > website by VE3SUN at http://faros.ve3sun.com/
      >
      > I then used Nvu and later Kompozer (a derivative of Nvu) to alter and
      > maintain the web page as needed
      > http://www.nvu.com
      >
      > Both work well on Windows, and seem to create compact and reliable web
      > code. Very easy to use too.
      >
      > For me, I have the webserver program on one PC, and all the data (web
      > page etc) on a read only shared folder on the machine that runs Faros.
      > Proof of the pudding? See..
      > http://g8kbv.homeip.net:8008/
      >
      > The use of port 8008 is a simple but pressingly effective measure to
      > keep 99% of the malicious script kiddies away, as I don't keep an open
      > port 80 to the world, also my router/gateway is configured to detect and
      > block any DoS behaviour to specific ports, ok so you are still taken off
      > air for a while, but it limits the mayhem on the LAN side... I have
      > had to block access to most of China though! As I was getting malicious
      > "Post" commands (googling on what was trying to be Posted!) and not
      > wanting to find out the hard way about what they were trying to do (that
      > the server does not support) I blocked that web IP subnet at the router.
      > Sad, but it had to be done.
      >
      > There are many such free personal web server programs around, but take
      > care to get one without any "other undocumented functionality" It's a
      > bit of a chore checking for stuff like that, but for example if it
      > installs weird services on your PC, and/or creates odd open ports etc,
      > it's probably best uninstalled and deleted.
      >
      > I also run the webserver in what's called a "Sandbox". Effectively a
      > "Virtual Machine" so if somthing nasty does happen to it, it's only that
      > VM that get's nuked, needing just that restarting for the "system" to be
      > clean again. I use the well known SandboxIE program for that, very
      > good, if a little tricky to get setup to run a server that needs some
      > external resources.
      >
      > If you also include a text file in the same folder as the main web page
      > called "robots.txt" with this as it's contents, just two lines...

      > Disallow: /
      >
      > That will tell any web crawling robots (the well behaved ones that is)
      > not to search any deeper than your main page. The bad robots will
      > probably ignore it, but it's a moot point.
      >
      > Alex VE3NEA if you ask him, can provide you with a .ico file, that is
> [...]

      Hi Dave (G0WBX). As you can see with the script I'm still with
      Wordpress, VE3SUN's pages are really useful if you are build pages up
      from scratch and I totally agree with you about Kompozer (Nvu). Easy
      to use and well supported. As for the self host. I tried setting
      something up locally and I have to say that it was beyond me. Perhaps
      I need to do some more learning before trying again. Really good to
      know that there is an expert looking on though.

      Dave (KA0SWT)
      That stuff I posted was the full template from my wordpress site. I
      see also that you've given it a try on XAMPP. Perhaps I should do the
      same and see if it'll work for me. What theme are you usung and I'll
      try and copy that on my machine.

      Alex