New Deck: Candy Land

  • bmbowe@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 7, 2001
      Here's a Dvorak deck inspired by "Advanced Candy Land." (Now, you're
      probably thinking, "What? There's an ADVANCED Candy Land?" You bet
      your sweet bippy there is! But that's another story.)

      Object: Be the first player with a score of 15 (or more). Note,
      however, some cards prevent you from winning until you play (or
      otherwise get rid of) them.

      Special Rules: The number in parentheses following a Thing's title is
      its point value--your score is equal to the total value of all the
      Things you control. The game is best with 3 or 4 players; with 2
      players, remove 1 "Square" of each color, 1 "Sticky Fingers," and
      1 "Junk Food Junkie" from the deck.

      Materials Needed: 48 cards (40 for a 2-player game).

      1x: Gingerbread Plum Tree (2) <Thing> When you play this card, all
      other Things you control are destroyed. You cannot win the game while
      this card is in your hand!
      1x: Peppermint Stick Forest (3) <Thing> When you play this card, all
      other Things you control are destroyed. You cannot win the game while
      this card is in your hand!
      1x: Gumdrop Mountains (5) <Thing> When you play this card, all other
      Things you control are destroyed. You cannot win the game while this
      card is in your hand!
      1x: Crooked Old Peanut Brittle House (9) <Thing> You cannot play this
      card if your score is less than 7 (unless an opponent controls "Gooey
      Gumdrops," in which case you may play this card regardless of your
      score). When you play this card, all other Things you control are
      destroyed. You cannot win the game while this card is in your hand!
      1x: Lollipop Woods (11) <Thing> You cannot play this card if your
      score is less than 10 (unless an opponent controls "Lost in Lollipop
      Woods," in which case you may play this card regardless of your
      score). When you play this card, all other Things you control are
      destroyed. You cannot win the game while this card is in your hand!
      1x: Ice Cream Floats (12) <Thing> You cannot play this card if your
      score is less than 10 (unless an opponent controls "Lost in Lollipop
      Woods," in which case you may play this card regardless of your
      score). When you play this card, all other Things you control are
      destroyed. You cannot win the game while this card is in your hand!

      1x: Gooey Gumdrops (7) <Thing> When you play this card, all other
      Things you control are destroyed, and you must discard your entire
      hand.
      1x: Lost in Lollipop Woods (10) <Thing> You cannot play this card if
      your score is less than 7 (unless an opponent controls "Gooey
      Gumdrops," in which case you may play this card regardless of your
      score). When you play this card, all other Things you control are
      destroyed, and you must discard your entire hand.
      1x: Stuck in Molasses Swamp (13) <Thing> You cannot play this card if
      your score is less than 10 (unless an opponent controls "Lost in
      Lollipop Woods," in which case you may play this card regardless of
      your score). When you play this card, all other Things you control
      are destroyed, and you must discard your entire hand.

      1x: Rainbow Trail (8) <Thing> You cannot play this card if your score
      is greater than 1. When you play this card, all other Things you
      control are destroyed.
      1x: Gumdrop Mountain Pass (6) <Thing> You cannot play this card if
      your score is greater than 4. When you play this card, all other
      Things you control are destroyed.

      1x: Home Sweet Home (15) <Thing> You cannot play this card if your
      score is less than 13 (unless an opponent controls "Stuck in Molasses
      Swamp," in which case you may play this card regardless of your
      score). When you play this card, all other Things you control are
      destroyed.

      4x: Red Square (+1) <Thing> When you play this card, all "Orange
      Squares" you control are destroyed. You may play any number of
      additional "Red Squares" on the same turn you play this card.
      4x: Orange Square (+1) <Thing> When you play this card, all "Yellow
      Squares" you control are destroyed. You may play any number of
      additional "Orange Squares" on the same turn you play this card.
      4x: Yellow Square (+1) <Thing> When you play this card, all "Green
      Squares" you control are destroyed. You may play any number of
      additional "Yellow Squares" on the same turn you play this card.
      4x: Green Square (+1) <Thing> When you play this card, all "Blue
      Squares" you control are destroyed. You may play any number of
      additional "Green Squares" on the same turn you play this card.
      4x: Blue Square (+1) <Thing> When you play this card, all "Purple
      Squares" you control are destroyed. You may play any number of
      additional "Blue Squares" on the same turn you play this card.
      4x: Purple Square (+1) <Thing> When you play this card, all "Red
      Squares" you control are destroyed. You may play any number of
      additional "Purple Squares" on the same turn you play this card.

      1x: Bubblegum Trading Cards <Action> Exchange hands with an opponent
      whose score is greater than yours. -OR- Give a card from your hand to
      any opponent, then draw a card at random from that player's hand
      (including the card you gave).
      1x: Piñata <Action> Draw a number of cards from the deck equal to the
      number of opponents whose scores are greater than yours. -OR- All
      players draw 1 card from the deck (starting with you).
      3x: Sticky Fingers <Action> Take a "Square" controlled by an opponent
      whose score is greater than yours and add it to your hand. -OR- Draw
      a card at random from any opponent's hand.
      1x: Trip to the Dentist <Action> Destroy all "Squares" controlled by
      one opponent whose score is greater than yours. -OR- Destroy
      1 "Square" controlled by each of your opponents.

      1x: Hide and Seek <Action> Return all Things you control to your
      hand. You may play any number of Things this turn.
      2x: Junk Food Junkie <Action> Before discarding this card, draw the
      top card of the discard pile into your hand.
      1x: Peek-a-Boo <Action> Shuffle the deck and discard pile together
      (including this card) to form a new deck. Then look at the top 4
      cards and arrange them in any order you wish.
      1x: Sugar Shock <Action> You may play any number of Actions this
      turn. Discard your entire hand at the end of your turn.
      1x: Will You Be My Valentine? <Action> Draw 2 cards from the deck.
      Choose one to keep for yourself and give the other to any opponent.

      - Bryan
    • wyngfethyr@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 7, 2001

        sounds cool... where can I find out more about "advanced candy land"?

        We always used to play "adventure candy land" where you could fight the
        other players and stuff..

          W.
      • bmbowe@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 7, 2001
          wyngfethyr wrote:
          > sounds cool... where can I find out more about "advanced
          > candy land"?

          The basic idea is this: take regular "Candy Land," fiddle with a few
          rules here and there to (ostensibly) add a strategic element, and
          shuffle a whole bunch of cards stolen from other games into the deck.

          Here's what the rules looked like back in 1999:
          http://www.percontra.com/rules.html

          There have been a few changes since then--mostly due to the release
          of "Really Advanced Candy Land"--but that'll give you the general
          flavor of the game.

          Posting the full rules on the web is problematic, due to legal issues
          surrounding the artwork on the special cards. I eliminated
          the "Special Card Guide" page, which included pictures of all the
          special cards, but left a few card images in as samples...and to pose
          as a puzzle: how many of the plagiarized games can you identify? (For
          extra credit, name the game spoofed by the cover art displayed on the
          rules page.)

          - Bryan
        • Kevan Davis
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 11, 2001
            > Here's a Dvorak deck inspired by "Advanced Candy Land." (Now, you're
            > probably thinking, "What? There's an ADVANCED Candy Land?" You bet
            > your sweet bippy there is! But that's another story.)

            I'm thinking "There's a game called Candy Land?", myself, but still.

            > Object: Be the first player with a score of 15 (or more). Note,
            > however, some cards prevent you from winning until you play (or
            > otherwise get rid of) them.

            Hm, interesting mechanic. Easy-ish to ditch them by letting your
            hand fill up and losing them when you discard down to five, but
            I guess that sounds about right, as an irritant.

            > The game is best with 3 or 4 players;

            Aha, you've played it?

            > Materials Needed: 48 cards (40 for a 2-player game).
            >
            > 1x: Gingerbread Plum Tree (2) <Thing> When you play this card, all
            > other Things you control are destroyed. You cannot win the game
            while
            > this card is in your hand!

            Hm, that's a lot of cards with "When you play this card, all other
            Things you control are destroyed." on them. Did you use a shorthand
            when making the actual cards?

            > 1x: Stuck in Molasses Swamp (13) <Thing> You cannot play this card
            if
            > your score is less than 10 (unless an opponent controls "Lost in
            > Lollipop Woods," in which case you may play this card regardless of
            > your score). When you play this card, all other Things you control
            > are destroyed, and you must discard your entire hand.

            Nice game-balancing. I like. (Although it might be kinder to new
            players if the rule were written on the opponent-controlled card,
            instead.)

            > 1x: Pi¤ata <Action> Draw a number of cards from the deck equal to
            the
            > number of opponents whose scores are greater than yours. -OR- All
            > players draw 1 card from the deck (starting with you).

            Nice.

            > 1x: Hide and Seek <Action> Return all Things you control to your
            > hand. You may play any number of Things this turn.

            Intriguing...

            > 2x: Junk Food Junkie <Action> Before discarding this card, draw the
            > top card of the discard pile into your hand.

            Bah, I really ought to sort out the Dvorak Engine's implementation
            of this sort of thing. Although nobody seems to have used it in
            an age.

            > 1x: Will You Be My Valentine? <Action> Draw 2 cards from the deck.
            > Choose one to keep for yourself and give the other to any opponent.

            Heh.

            Good stuff, anyway - I'll get it formatted for the archive when
            I can. And shall have to give it a go, at some point. Nice to see
            some creative activity on the list.

            Kevan

            --
            http://uncertain.org/~kevan
            "Looking in the window of the shop that never opens."
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 11, 2001
              > Posting the full rules on the web is problematic, due to legal
              issues
              > surrounding the artwork on the special cards. I eliminated
              > the "Special Card Guide" page, which included pictures of all the
              > special cards, but left a few card images in as samples...and to
              pose
              > as a puzzle: how many of the plagiarized games can you identify?
              (For
              > extra credit, name the game spoofed by the cover art displayed on
              the
              > rules page.)

              Aha! Talisman. That takes me back. Thoroughly infuriating game.

              No idea what any of the others are, though, shamelessly. I should
              play more odd, random games. And get a German dictionary.

              Tangenting from that, how about a Dvorak deck made up of cards from
              other games? Not a particularly original idea, but it'd be
              interesting to fit it around the "one Thing/Action" framework. One to
              design in shouty-format on the mailing list, I suppose? Anyone up for
              it?

              K.

              --
              http://uncertain.org/~kevan
              "Dej sem mozek! Ten chlap má pistoli!"
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 12, 2001
                Kevan wrote:
                > > Note, however, some cards prevent you from winning
                > > until you play (or otherwise get rid of) them.
                >
                > Hm, interesting mechanic. Easy-ish to ditch them by
                > letting your hand fill up and losing them when you
                > discard down to five, but I guess that sounds about
                > right, as an irritant.

                True, the end-of-turn discard is the usual way (but not the only way)
                to get rid of these cards. They're more meant to tie the leader up
                for a turn or two rather than be a major setback.

                > > The game is best with 3 or 4 players;
                >
                > Aha, you've played it?

                Lots.

                > > Gingerbread Plum Tree (2) <Thing> When you play this
                > > card, all other Things you control are destroyed. You
                > > cannot win the game while this card is in your hand!
                >
                > Hm, that's a lot of cards with "When you play this card,
                > all other Things you control are destroyed." on them.
                > Did you use a shorthand when making the actual cards?

                Yes. In the actual deck, only the Action cards have explanatory text;
                the Thing cards contain nothing but pictures, and certain symbols
                correspond to various effects. The "you cannot win while holding this
                card" cards, for example, are marked with a ball and chain.

                > > Stuck in Molasses Swamp (13) <Thing> You cannot play
                > > this card if your score is less than 10 (unless an
                > > opponent controls "Lost in Lollipop Woods," in which
                > > case you may play this card regardless of your score).
                >
                > ... it might be kinder to new players if the rule were
                > written on the opponent-controlled card, instead.

                That's how it is in the original deck, but the one suggestion I get
                most often is that it's better to have the rule on the card being
                played, so that's how I posted it. I suppose it's a matter of taste.

                > > Hide and Seek <Action> Return all Things you control
                > > to your hand. You may play any number of Things this
                > > turn.
                >
                > Intriguing...

                Many games are won with this card, but pulling it off takes a little
                planning. Pay particular attention to opponents with lots of Squares,
                even if they appear to be behind. Chances are they've got something
                up their sleeves.

                - Bryan