the first sunny day of spring

  • Jad
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 22, 2005
      Today was the first sunny day of spring here in Shenyang, China, so
      I penned this poem based on the color of clothes Chinese people (men
      and women, mostly women) were wearing:

      yellow = how do you know it's spring?
      hot pink = i know (it's the color of the year)
      red = i know, but
      green = i'm scared that i know
      brown = i know
      purple = i know
      blue = i know, too
      black = i know, but i ignore
      = ok, ok, i don't know
      = what was the question?
      = i know
      = that i don't know that
      white = i don't care. i know
      gray = huh?
      orange = i want to play, too!

      Today was a weird day that almost ended with me getting mugged in my
      apartment. I went shopping in the afternoon and in the evening, I
      watched and listened to the dancers. I'm not sure what else to call
      them. In most public squares in China, a bunch of Chinese people
      (usually older, average age 40's) get together, play music, and
      dance. The basic instrument is some kind of a horn with two lines of
      people, which are headed by four people, a young couple (30's) and
      an older couple (50's).

      Make sense? There's a woman, a man (30's), a woman, a man (50's) at
      the front of a line of about 50 Chinese people. I'm not sure how it
      starts, but imagine the line breaking in two (usually the young
      woman dances with the young man, but sometimes it switches and she
      dances with the older man) and they dance in a space about a third
      the size of a football field.

      But it's not like ballroom dancing. The two lines of people dance
      back and forth, usually marching down the field in one direction,
      side-by-side, two lines down the middle, and then on the way back,
      in some kind of unusual dance, in which one line mimics the other.
      What they do isn't special, lift an arm, kick a leg, but it ripples
      through both lines of dancers. Where does it start? Who leads? Well,
      the lead changes. Sometimes the musicians lead, usually the youngest
      woman leads, sometimes the older woman, and occassionally, but
      infrequently, one of the two men.

      At this particular square, Daguan, there were two groups of dancers.
      Tents had been set up in the square for some kind of arts and
      crafts, so the second group was pushed off even further to the side
      than the main group. I had been at Daguan a week prior and liked the
      main group better because in addition to a horn, they also had a
      huge drum, two small drums, and a couple sets of cymbals. And I like
      the drum.

      But drummers are weird people and when I watched the dancers the
      first time, the main drummer kinda went crazy when he saw me.
      Actually, another drummer caused the problem cuz when he saw me, he
      got scared and he locked in on a rhythm that he couldn't stop.
      Imagine a drummer humming a toothpaste jingle. It was stuck in his
      head, the same eight beats, he kept repeating, over and over, and...

      The main drummer jumped in and tried, without stopping, to find a
      new beat. Three or four other drummers tried the same, but they were
      stuck like deer in headlights. The main drummer tried the two small
      drums, the large drum, exhorting/coaching/instructing the person
      playing the small drums, the person playing the cymbals. He finally
      took over the cymbals.

      And broke one.

      I don't know if you've ever played with cymbals, but these things
      are metal. They don't break easily.

      This one did.

      But the band played on, singing the toothpaste jingle for about an
      hour.

      While shopping in the stores next to Daguan today, I saw the main
      drummer walk by. I recognized him and said ni hao (hello). He and
      his wife invited me to come and watch again.

      Last week, I came real close and wasn't more than 10 feet from the
      band. This time, I decided to stand back. Just listen and watch from
      about 50 feet back.

      It was quite a show.

      I'm not sure if it was because of the sunny day or what, but this
      time, there were about 10 Chinese decked out in beautiful, colorful
      costumes. The first four leaders, of course, but, interestingly, the
      other six were dispersed through the lines.

      Have you ever played the gossip game? One person tells a person
      something who tells the next person what they heard. Rarely does the
      last person hear anything remotely similar to what the first person
      said.

      These dances, which occur every evening in every square in every
      city in China, near as I can tell, operate the same way. One person
      does something and everybody follows. But most people are lazy and
      aren't always paying attention and lots of people, let's face, ain't
      got no rhythm.

      So these ten Chinese decked out were clearly professionals, but
      rather than shove them all at the beginning, leaving the uneducated
      and stupid all alone, they spaced them out. People in the back half
      of the line, for instance, couldn't see the four leaders at the
      front of the line, but they could see one of the "professionals"
      near them. And they could follow them.

      As a white guy, I stand out. People look at me and then look where
      I'm looking.

      What do I look at? I look at stories.

      Because of people lined up behind the band watching, I could only
      see about two-thirds of the dancing field, so one of my favorite
      stories was when the young woman decided to play coy down at the
      hidden end. I don't know what she did, but I saw the other 46
      people, pulling back towards the sides and I expected the young
      woman to come walking down the middle by herself as if she were a
      Queen.

      Instead, the four people emerged in a row, creating four lines of
      people, each headed by the young couple and the older couple.

      Another good story was when a young Chinese girl (not a dancer)
      stood directly in my line of sight. Chinese women like to play the
      game of chicken with men and see who looks away first. Sometimes I
      look away, sometimes I don't. This time, I decided not to look away
      even though her boyfriend clearly realized what was happening. (Her
      intent.)

      She got scared and pulled her boyfriend in front of her. He hadn't
      seen me, but he had seen her looking at me. If he had kept staring
      at her and not looked back, all would've been fine as she would've
      eventually given up. But, he looked. And he was angry at himself for
      looking. And angry at his girlfriend.

      And the two danced.

      First, she appeared apologetic, lavishing attention on him. And she
      ran in a circle around him. Strange, but true. But he was still
      angry and he kicked at her head. (This *is* China. Even though most
      Chinese don't know martial arts, they see it in their tv and movies
      all the time.) I don't know if he accidentally tapped her head or if
      he just felt bad for striking back at her, but then he got
      apologetic. And he ran in a circle around her.

      I'm not making this up.

      I was trying to be polite and not watch them too closely, but, damn,
      when a boy runs in circles around a girl, three or four times, it's
      kinda hard to look away.

      And, yes, I could tell he felt like an idiot, so there was only one
      solution.

      Be a bigger idiot.

      He ran about 20 feet and did a somersault.

      Everything in his pockets fell out.

      He felt pretty damn stupid.

      The girl laughed, but she seemed to know he was doing it for her.
      She rushed to help him and then... I dunno. I think I saw her
      starting to do a somersault herself, but I drifted on to another
      story.

      I looked over at the second group and they were duplicating that
      move where the last 46 people (maybe 30 in their case) pull back and
      the Princess, Prince, Queen, and King all strut down the field. I
      looked back at the main group, and they were doing the same thing.

      For reasons I can't possibly explain, I decided to stick to watching
      with the first group and damned if the young princess didn't appear
      a few seconds later with a huge grin on her face as if she knew she
      (and her group) had won (my attention).

      I'm currently reading Huckleberry Finn and I'm in the middle of the
      fight between the Grangerfords and Shepherdsons, Twain's version of
      the Hatfields & McCoys, the Capulets and Montegues.

      A dog appeared, not more than five feet from me, sticking his ass
      towards me. If I didn't know better, I'd claim that he had come from
      the losing camp and was pissed at me for not choosing to watch them.
      Which is exactly what he did. I waited, patiently, for the dog to
      retreat back to his camp, but he got scared and started trotting in
      circles, his head down as low to the ground as could be.

      I waited and waited, but I was kinda pissed at him for sticking his
      ass at me and peeing in front of me on space that was clearly closer
      to the main group than his group. So I made a move toward him, to
      scare him back to his side, but he was clearly lost.

      He ran off in the opposite direction, away from his family.

      I looked up and saw 4 or 5 guys lurch forward, adding to the rear of
      a crowd behind the band. They seemed to be Losers.

      For reasons I can't possibly explain, 2 of the Losers decided to
      walk onto the dancing field. This, in itself, is not that unusual.
      Last week, I had noticed people walking through the dance field,
      possibly inconvenienced by the arts and crafts tents and not willing
      to be inconvenced any more by crazy dancers. But, now, things were
      different.

      A few minutes later, the Losers gave up, stopped their music and
      their dancing. I kept watching the main group, but they seemed to be
      surprised at the early ending. They tried to keep it up, but chaos
      started to dribble in and five minutes later, they gave up, with the
      older man, the King of the Winners, looking back toward the band
      area as if a fight were brewing.

      I took off, thinking my "fight" with the dog had knocked over a
      domino.

      Oh, I forgot to mention that on my way to Daguan Square, earlier in
      the evening, another fight was brewing. A crowd of perhaps 100
      Chinese people had gather around to watch. I tried not to look at
      the story, but I did see one young boy, maybe 20 or so, obviously
      poor, being "pulled" back by 4 or 5 older women. In the other
      corner, I noticed a young beautiful Chinese woman decked out in hot
      pink.

      But I only mention this to suggest that the air was taught with
      fighting, I suspect between the Winners who are enjoying China's
      rapid economic growth and the Losers who aren't. This young
      beautiful Chinese woman probably flashed a smile at the poor boy or
      perhaps pushed her boyfriend into his path to start the fight. (Her
      intent.)

      Anyway, I left Daguan Square and headed home, about a 20 minute
      walk. I could tell things were dangerous, so I stepped into
      McDonald's on the way home to get a take-home and eat a home-safe-
      home dinner.

      I walked in to Mickey D's and my heart was pounding. There was a
      young couple at the counter and I stood about 3 - 4 feet back,
      directly behind the woman. I thought that might be a bit rude, so I
      turned to the left, ever so slightly, but, from the guy's
      perspective, being to the right of the girl, and having turned
      around to look at me (if only boyfriends wouldn't look), it probably
      looked like now I was shoving my dick up his girl's ass.

      I'm not making this up nor am I needless adding drama. I'm just
      telling you like it is. And I wasn't the only one who could sense
      the tension. The cashier motioned me to come around and give her my
      order. But she was flustered and another cashier, to my left,
      stepped in to help. This caused a little dancing between the couple
      as, I suspect, the girl was dying to see who the fuck was behind her
      and why this mystery person was making her boyfriend so agitated.

      I did my best to ignore it, but as I saw the couple drift behind me,
      I could see the boyfriend agitate angrily towards his girlfriend.
      I'm not sure, but I don't think they got their dinner.

      I got my burgers and kept walking home.

      I buy cigarettes from four or five different stores in my
      neighborhood, so I stopped by one of them, a small store with not
      more than 3 cubic feet of standing space. I opened the door and
      noticed another customer yelling at the merchant's cousin. Another
      door was open and in the living room, the merchant and probably a
      relative stood up and came into the "store."

      I closed the door, bemoaned the dominoes falling down, and went to
      another store to buy my cigarettes. This merchant is kinda friendly
      with me, but there were two other guys in the store and they seemed
      to be talking conspiratorially. The merchant hurriedly gave me my
      cigarettes and I headed home. (I might be adding it on here, but I
      have cause.)

      I live on the second floor and as I entered my building, I passed
      some guy in the dark. As I entered the building, I heard him say
      something. He was far enough behind me that he wasn't talking to me
      and I had an image of him coming up behind me and shoving me into my
      apartment as I opened my front door.

      In Chinese buildings, the lights on each floor go on when they hear
      noise. There's no light on the first floor, so I entered the
      building in darkness. Fortunately, when I get to the first landing,
      I can make a noise there and the light on the second floor will
      flick on.

      On the last step of the first flight of stairs, I stomped my foot
      down to make some noise. Not enough, though, and the light didn't
      come on. Wait, yes it did, but it was too late and I was already in
      the process of stomping two or three more times.

      I got to my door, put the key in, and turned back to look at the guy
      coming up. He had a cane, but he wasn't walking with a limp. And
      there was a guy behind him with a bag. The guy looked at me, but I
      had called his bluff. He kept trooping up the stairs to the third
      floor, the second guy meekly following him. I waited a second and
      looked again as the second started up the next flight of stairs. He
      looked at me and I looked at him.

      Then I turned, opened my door, and entered my home-safe-home.

      Ironically, I missed what I think was the best story of the first
      sunny day of spring in Shenyang, China: the two Losers explaining
      that they had walked on to the Winner's dance space because a lao
      wai (foreigner) had scared off their dog.