farmed salmon

  • magic1bean
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 3, 2003
      I ran across an article about PCB's in farmed salmon today...

      http://channels.netscape.com/ns/homerealestate/package.jsp?
      name=fte/salmon/salmon

      be sure and get the whole url, Yahoo likes to drop the part that
      wraps to a second line...

      the bean

      --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Currier <altapig2@y...>
      wrote:
      > I have to agree with the other post. It is all farmed fish from
      Canadian fish farms. They are putting the Alaskan fisherman out of
      buisness. And to answer your question, Yes the price has dropped.
      Some of our fisherman are getting less then 25 to 50 cents a pound
      for Salmon. They can't even afford to support their ships on that.
      But the American consumer is only looking for the lowest price. They
      never realize that we are losing the market until, some other country
      has total control of that market. Look at the Steel industry,
      farming, cars. I would rather eat Salmon that came out of the ocean,
      and living on a natural diet. Then something raised on chemicals to
      make it redder and larger. Their is no Salmon alive that tastes
      better then an Alaskian White King. That is an Alaskan secret, but
      down in the Lower 48, it is the redder the better, Ha! Up here a Pink
      Salmon, or a Humpy is basicially a trash fish. And for any of the
      Animal Rights people out there, just remember that once the
      > Salmon spawn, they just rollover and die. So when they run you
      might as well fish for them. You should smell this area in late
      September and October. It reaks of dead fish. OK, I'll get off my
      soapbox. Just don't forget about the Alaskan fisherman and buy some
      Alaskan Salmon. JeffC
    • Jeff Currier
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 3, 2003
        This article will make it into the hands of the commerical fisherman I know up here in Alaska. I think they need all of our support. After all being an "Alaskan Commerical Fisherman" is the most dangerous job in the world. JeffC

        magic1bean <magic1bean@...> wrote:I ran across an article about PCB's in farmed salmon today...

        wrote:
        > I have to agree with the other post. It is all farmed fish from
        Canadian fish farms. They are putting the Alaskan fisherman out of
        buisness. And to answer your question, Yes the price has dropped.
        Some of our fisherman are getting less then 25 to 50 cents a pound
        for Salmon. They can't even afford to support their ships on that.
        But the American consumer is only looking for the lowest price. They
        never realize that we are losing the market until, some other country
        has total control of that market. Look at the Steel industry,
        farming, cars. I would rather eat Salmon that came out of the ocean,
        and living on a natural diet. Then something raised on chemicals to
        make it redder and larger. Their is no Salmon alive that tastes
        better then an Alaskian White King. That is an Alaskan secret, but
        down in the Lower 48, it is the redder the better, Ha! Up here a Pink
        Salmon, or a Humpy is basicially a trash fish. And for any of the
        Animal Rights people out there, just remember that once the
        > Salmon spawn, they just rollover and die. So when they run you
        might as well fish for them. You should smell this area in late
        September and October. It reaks of dead fish. OK, I'll get off my
        soapbox. Just don't forget about the Alaskan fisherman and buy some
        Alaskan Salmon. JeffC

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        Then click on "Leave Group".