Cast Iron Repairs?

  • lmfwric
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2003
      I have a handed down DO that has a small crack in the side near the
      flange. Crack is ~1.5 inches and barely visible. Any DOC had
      success with repairs? How'd ja do it?

      pensioner
    • Ken Brown
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2003
        It is possible to weld cast iron. It takes a very good, patient,
        experienced welder who will weld a little, then let the iron cool,
        then weld some more.
        NO, I am not one of those people. My uncle was a master machinist who
        could (and did) do everything with metals.
        If you welded the inside, then smoothed the weld and reseasoned the
        oven, it should work. I have seen this done to big kettles and
        boiling pots, but not to a dutch oven.
        Ken

        --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "lmfwric" <al_knoll@p...>