Re: [DUTCH OVEN COOKING] Church DOG

  • Betty Burk
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 1 4:11 AM
      Shepherds Pie

      Cook 1 lb. bacon cut into 1 inch slices. Drain grease. Add 1-2 lbs ground
      beef and cook.
      While hamburger is cooking, prepare enough instant mashed potatoes (or real
      if you have the time/energy).
      When burger is completely cooked. Add 2 cans corn (drained) and 2 cans green
      beans (drained).
      Then add thick layer of mashed potatoes.
      Cover with 10 coals on lid & lower heat on bottom so meat does not burn.
      Let oven cook for 10 minutes, then top potatoes with grated cheese & cover
      until cheese melts!
      Season to taste with salt/pepper!

      Enjoy!

      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 1 4:13 AM
        Darned Good Potatoes

        5 lbs. red potatoes peeled and sliced
        6 bunches green onions, washed and chopped in 1" lengths
        1 1/2 lb. bacon sliced into 1" pieces
        1 box (container) fresh mushrooms chopped

        Fry bacon in 12" DO, mix in onions, potatoes and mushrooms. May use 1 large can of mushrooms, undrained, to keep potatoes from sticking on bottom, cover and stir enough to keep potatoes from sticking to bottom.

        24 briquettes, 1/3 on top : 2/3 on bottom, approx. 40 min or when potatoes are tender and onions soft.
        .

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 1 4:25 AM
          Might I suggest a neat website to you. Lots of Ideas here; http://www.chuckwagondiner.com/snacks.html

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 1 4:27 AM
            Here is another http://www.outdoorcampus.org/kidscan.htm

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 1 4:36 AM
              Here is another good site http://www.nwdos.org/SocietyRecipes.html

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 1 4:44 AM
                Here is a great website http://www.nwdos.org/SocietyRecipes.html
                > I am trying to get something going at our church once a month Dutch Oven
                > Gathering. I will be donating a few of my Dutch Ovens to the church.
                They
                > will be two 8" dutch ovens and two 10" Dutch Ovens. While food cooks, we
                > will have a Bible Study. Anyone have any ideas on what to fix. I never
                > used charcoal for my dutch ovens but have put them in a fire. Only then I
                > was cooking meat and it came out quite tender and tasty. However, if
                breads
                > and cakes are made then I want to be sure they come out right. I haven't
                > started anything yet and currently waiting for some feedback from members
                of
                > the church. Let me know what you think.
                > Frank A. Merola, Bedford, Kentucky 40006

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                Then click on "Leave Group".

              • Frank A. Merola
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 1 10:03 AM
                  Sounds like fun. I have some recipes now that I will need to try out. Currently the things I will need will be a long tool and the medium tool. I already have a short tool and use it both indoors and outdoors. Wished I had a long tool because fires get pretty hot for using a short tool and you have to be pretty fast to get your oven out of the fire. Especially if it is 14" and full. I haven't received any feed back from any members of the church yet.

                    > I am trying to get something going at our church once a month Dutch Oven
                    > Gathering. I will be donating a few of my Dutch Ovens to the church.
                    They
                    > will be two 8" dutch ovens and two 10" Dutch Ovens. While food cooks, we
                    > will have a Bible Study. Anyone have any ideas on what to fix. I never
                    > used charcoal for my dutch ovens but have put them in a fire. Only then I
                    > was cooking meat and it came out quite tender and tasty. However, if
                    breads
                    > and cakes are made then I want to be sure they come out right. I haven't
                    > started anything yet and currently waiting for some feedback from members
                    of
                    > the church. Let me know what you think.
                    > Frank A. Merola, Bedford, Kentucky 40006

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    Then click on "Leave Group".

                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                    Then click on "Leave Group".

                  • Frank A. Merola

                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 1 4:48 PM
                        The Shepherds Pie that I remember aways had Ground Beef in it. But I like the idea of adding bacon. Sounds Good. JeffC