Re: Spoons

  • "BISCUIT"
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3, 2003
      I bought several years agofrom Twin-K, a rooll up utensil bag. It
      roll up for storage. I put some snap on gromets and snap it on by
      chuckbox working surface.

      Do not put your spoons in the dishwasher. Hand wash only. Oil them
      with vegetable or olive oil. This is what I do. I heard on Food TV or
      somewhere , never dishwash them. I found a place in Arkansas, that
      sell good tools. They are in Yellville.

      Happy Cooking!

      --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Brown"
      <savage99_250@y...> wrote:
      > Many of us use wooden spoons when we cook in our ovens. Does
      anyone
      > have a good, safe way to keep them looking clean and new?
      > Ken
    • Brian Nielson
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3, 2003
        I agree with the hand washing. I only use mineral oil on my wood surfaces
        though, cuz there is no way that it can go rancid. I use it on my spoons,
        rolling pins, and cutting boards (makes them more sanitary that way too. I
        used to not care about cutting boards too much, then I got my good knives,
        so investing in a good board just made good economic sense. The nice thing
        with wood utensils is that if they get ignored or left, you can restore them
        with some TLC of light sanding and oil.

        Brian

        <savage99_250@y...> wrote:
        > Many of us use wooden spoons when we cook in our ovens. Does
        anyone
        > have a good, safe way to keep them looking clean and new?
        > Ken

        Then click on "Leave Group".

      • ilfip
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3, 2003
          Rub heavily in mineral oil. Bake gently to set it (I don't remember
          the recommended time and temp). Recoat with mineral oil after washing
          up, or at least weekly.

          Phil

          On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 23:01:51 -0000, you wrote:

          >Many of us use wooden spoons when we cook in our ovens. Does anyone
          >have a good, safe way to keep them looking clean and new?
          >Ken
          >

          >To unsubscribe from this group,
          >click on "Edit My Membership" at the top right of the Group main page.
          >Then click on "Leave Group".

        • ilfip
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 3, 2003
            Use bamboo. They straighten the bamboo under pressure and heat. Tough,
            dishwasher safe, much more renewable resource than wood. As my wood
            breaks, I've been replacing it with bamboo. Pampered Chef sells some
            good sets at reasonable rates.

            Phil

            On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 00:41:27 -0000, you wrote:

            >I bought several years agofrom Twin-K, a rooll up utensil bag. It
            >roll up for storage. I put some snap on gromets and snap it on by
            >chuckbox working surface.
            >
            >Do not put your spoons in the dishwasher. Hand wash only. Oil them
            >with vegetable or olive oil. This is what I do. I heard on Food TV or
            >somewhere , never dishwash them. I found a place in Arkansas, that
            >sell good tools. They are in Yellville.
            >
            >Happy Cooking!
            >

            >--- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Brown"
            ><savage99_250@y...> wrote:
            >> Many of us use wooden spoons when we cook in our ovens. Does
            >anyone
            >> have a good, safe way to keep them looking clean and new?
            >> Ken
            >

            >To unsubscribe from this group,
            >click on "Edit My Membership" at the top right of the Group main page.
            >Then click on "Leave Group".

          • Bob Lowe
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 4, 2003
              Oriental markets are another good source for inexpensive bamboo utensils. I
              agree that they are much better than wood. Mine have lasted a long time.
              Bob Lowe

              rom: ilfip <phatch@...>