Volcano vs APS

  • d77hvfd
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 30, 2003
      Question for the group. Which is better the Volcano or the Camp Chef
      APS? Are they identical or just similiar? I want one but can't
      decide which one to buy. All opinions requested, respected, and
      reviewed. Please comment.

      2Jerrys
    • Warren & Melody Kostenuk
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 30, 2003
        I don't know anything about the Camp Chef APS but I did use a volcano on
        our camping trip for the first time and LOVED it! I just need to learn
        where I can get accessories so that I can stack up other pots and pans on
        top on the Big Dutch. Any other Volcano folks know where I can get these?

        Melody

        >Question for the group. Which is better the Volcano or the Camp Chef
        >APS? Are they identical or just similiar? I want one but can't
        >decide which one to buy. All opinions requested, respected, and
        >reviewed. Please comment.
        >
        >2Jerrys
        >

        >To unsubscribe from this group,
        >click on "Edit My Membership" at the top right of the Group main page.
        >Then click on "Leave Group".

      • Ken Brown
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 30, 2003
          Hi, Y'all!
          Da Cap'n has agreed to bring his Volcano cooker to the BIG DOG so that
          we can see just how it cooks. Maybe someone will bring an APS so we
          can compare. I asked da Cap'n because he cooks in his regularly, and
          I wanted to see one before I got serious about one.

          BTW, Camping Life magazine did an article on dutch oven cooking about
          four months ago, and wrote about the Volcano in the article.
          Ken

          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, d77hvfd <no_reply@y...>
          wrote:
          > Question for the group. Which is better the Volcano or the Camp
          Chef
          > APS? Are they identical or just similiar? I want one but can't
          > decide which one to buy. All opinions requested, respected, and
          > reviewed. Please comment.
          >
          > 2Jerrys
        • "BISCUIT"
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 30, 2003
            I have two models of the volcano. The SR. and JR. The only draw back
            is....they take up a good bit a space packing them along.

            D.O. Willie made one out of and old BBQ Bottle. He cut it in half.
            I think he calls this, The Curse of Curtis.

            I think the ABS breaks down. I still like using my cooking table.

            --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Brown"
            <savage99_250@y...> wrote:
            > Hi, Y'all!
            > Da Cap'n has agreed to bring his Volcano cooker to the BIG DOG so
            that
            > we can see just how it cooks. Maybe someone will bring an APS so
            we
            > can compare. I asked da Cap'n because he cooks in his regularly,
            and
            > I wanted to see one before I got serious about one.
            >
            > BTW, Camping Life magazine did an article on dutch oven cooking
            about
            > four months ago, and wrote about the Volcano in the article.
            > Ken
            >
            > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, d77hvfd <no_reply@y...>
            > wrote:
            > > Question for the group. Which is better the Volcano or the Camp
            > Chef
            > > APS? Are they identical or just similiar? I want one but can't
            > > decide which one to buy. All opinions requested, respected, and
            > > reviewed. Please comment.
            > >
            > > 2Jerrys
          • Ken Brown
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 30, 2003
              Howdy, Biscuit.
              I like the idea of the Volcano, but the space is the big problem.
              When I go to a DOG with a Ford Ranger looking like a rerun of "the
              Beverly Hillbillies" I don't have space for anything else.
              That Ranger is one tough little truck, everybody!
              I like my cooking table and my disks. I like the gas grill stand that
              I am converting to a cook table, but it is too big to carry along.
              It's gonna roll around just fine on the deck.
            • Barbara Wilkins
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 30, 2003
                Guess its time to put wheels on it and tow it like a
                trailer........

                --- Ken Brown <savage99_250@...> wrote:
                > Howdy, Biscuit.
                > I like the idea of the Volcano, but the space is the
                > big problem.
                > When I go to a DOG with a Ford Ranger looking like a
                > rerun of "the
                > Beverly Hillbillies" I don't have space for anything
                > else.
                > That Ranger is one tough little truck, everybody!
                > I like my cooking table and my disks. I like the
                > gas grill stand that
                > I am converting to a cook table, but it is too big
                > to carry along.
                > It's gonna roll around just fine on the deck.

                http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
              • mzdaville
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 30, 2003
                  Hi again,
                  I am taking my new APS to the So Cal DOG. It does break down
                  and is about the same space as a 12" do. We will be using it with
                  the dutch oven and grilling steaks on Friday.
                  A girl just can't have too many accessories!!!

                  See you at the campfire. MzD
                  --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "\"BISCUIT\"" <n5hbb@y...>
                  wrote:
                  > I have two models of the volcano. The SR. and JR. The only draw
                  back
                  > is....they take up a good bit a space packing them along.
                  >
                  > D.O. Willie made one out of and old BBQ Bottle. He cut it in half.
                  > I think he calls this, The Curse of Curtis.
                  >
                  > I think the ABS breaks down. I still like using my cooking table.
                  >

                  > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Brown"
                  > <savage99_250@y...> wrote:
                  > > Hi, Y'all!
                  > > Da Cap'n has agreed to bring his Volcano cooker to the BIG DOG so
                  > that
                  > > we can see just how it cooks. Maybe someone will bring an APS so
                  > we
                  > > can compare. I asked da Cap'n because he cooks in his regularly,
                  > and
                  > > I wanted to see one before I got serious about one.
                  > >
                  > > BTW, Camping Life magazine did an article on dutch oven cooking
                  > about
                  > > four months ago, and wrote about the Volcano in the article.
                  > > Ken
                  > >
                  > > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, d77hvfd <no_reply@y...>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > > Question for the group. Which is better the Volcano or the
                  Camp
                  > > Chef
                  > > > APS? Are they identical or just similiar? I want one but
                  can't
                  > > > decide which one to buy. All opinions requested, respected,
                  and
                  > > > reviewed. Please comment.
                  > > >
                  > > > 2Jerrys
                • Jeff Currier
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 31, 2003
                    Check this web site http://www.webcom.com/infinet/volcano.html or at your local Dutch Oven supplier. JeffC

                    Warren & Melody Kostenuk <kostenuk@...> wrote:I don't know anything about the Camp Chef APS but I did use a volcano on
                    our camping trip for the first time and LOVED it! I just need to learn
                    where I can get accessories so that I can stack up other pots and pans on
                    top on the Big Dutch. Any other Volcano folks know where I can get these?

                    Melody

                    >Question for the group. Which is better the Volcano or the Camp Chef
                    >APS? Are they identical or just similiar? I want one but can't
                    >decide which one to buy. All opinions requested, respected, and
                    >reviewed. Please comment.
                    >
                    >2Jerrys
                    >

                    >To unsubscribe from this group,
                    >click on "Edit My Membership" at the top right of the Group main page.
                    >Then click on "Leave Group".

                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                    Then click on "Leave Group".

                  • Jeff Currier

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 31, 2003
                        Jeff,
                        I looked at the site. Those numbers at the bottom bother me.
                        Those three to the left of the decimal point.
                        Ken

                        --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Currier <altapig2@y...>

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                        >
                        > To unsubscribe from this group,
                        > click on "Edit My Membership" at the top right of the Group main
                        page.
                        > Then click on "Leave Group".

                      • Warren & Melody Kostenuk
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 31, 2003
                          Thanks, I will check it out!

                          Melody

                          >Check this web site http://www.webcom.com/infinet/volcano.html or at your
                          >local Dutch Oven supplier. JeffC
                          >
                          >Warren & Melody Kostenuk <kostenuk@...> wrote:I don't know
                          >anything about the Camp Chef APS but I did use a volcano on
                          >our camping trip for the first time and LOVED it! I just need to learn
                          >where I can get accessories so that I can stack up other pots and pans on
                          >top on the Big Dutch. Any other Volcano folks know where I can get these?
                          >
                          >Melody
                          >

                          >>Question for the group. Which is better the Volcano or the Camp Chef
                          >>APS? Are they identical or just similiar? I want one but can't
                          >>decide which one to buy. All opinions requested, respected, and
                          >>reviewed. Please comment.
                          >>
                          >>2Jerrys
                          >>

                          >>To unsubscribe from this group,
                          >>click on "Edit My Membership" at the top right of the Group main page.
                          >>Then click on "Leave Group".

                          >Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                          >
                          >To unsubscribe from this group,
                          >click on "Edit My Membership" at the top right of the Group main page.
                          >Then click on "Leave Group".

                          >click on "Edit My Membership" at the top right of the Group main page.
                          >Then click on "Leave Group".

                        • Jeff Currier
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 31, 2003
                            Ken:
                            Sorry about that. I just did a search on Volcano and sent the website. You should be able to find one for under $100. These guys are blowing smoke, if they think they are going to get $299.00 for one. JeffC

                            wrote:
                            > Check this web site http://www.webcom.com/infinet/volcano.html or at
                            your local Dutch Oven supplier. JeffC

                            > Warren & Melody Kostenuk <kostenuk@i...> wrote:I don't know anything
                            about the Camp Chef APS but I did use a volcano on
                            > our camping trip for the first time and LOVED it! I just need to
                            learn
                            > where I can get accessories so that I can stack up other pots and
                            pans on
                            > top on the Big Dutch. Any other Volcano folks know where I can get
                            these?

                            > Melody
                            >

                            > >Question for the group. Which is better the Volcano or the Camp
                            Chef
                            > >APS? Are they identical or just similiar? I want one but can't
                            > >decide which one to buy. All opinions requested, respected, and
                            > >reviewed. Please comment.
                            > >
                            > >2Jerrys
                            > >

                            > >To unsubscribe from this group,
                            > >click on "Edit My Membership" at the top right of the Group main
                            page.
                            > >Then click on "Leave Group".
                            > >
                            > >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                            > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                            >
                            > To unsubscribe from this group,
                            > click on "Edit My Membership" at the top right of the Group main
                            page.
                            > Then click on "Leave Group".

                            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                            Then click on "Leave Group".

                          • Hal
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 31, 2003
                              If I read the website correctly, besides the stove, here's what you
                              get for $299.95.
                              Hal <><

                              Volcano Cook Stove
                              The 12 inch (wide) Deep 8 Quart Cast Iron Dutch Oven
                              Storage Bag
                              Wind Guard
                              Heavy Duty Trivet
                              Handy Ring
                              Handy Handle
                              Volcano Seasoning
                              "Log Cabin Cook Book"

                              wrote:
                              > Ken:
                              > Sorry about that. I just did a search on Volcano and sent the
                              website. You should be able to find one for under $100. These guys
                              are blowing smoke, if they think they are going to get $299.00 for
                              one. JeffC

                              > Ken Brown <savage99_250@y...> wrote:
                              > Jeff,
                              > I looked at the site. Those numbers at the bottom bother me.
                              > Those three to the left of the decimal point.
                              > Ken
                            • Ken Brown
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 31, 2003
                                Jeff,
                                The entire package may well be worth the $299.95 they are asking, but
                                it takes pictures and specs to convince me. I looked up the APS on
                                the camp chef links. These things remind me of the $29.00 round
                                smoker/grills that have been around forever. I have worn several of
                                those out through the years.

                                wrote:
                                > Ken:
                                > Sorry about that. I just did a search on Volcano and sent the
                                website. You should be able to find one for under $100. These guys are
                                blowing smoke, if they think they are going to get $299.00 for one.
                                JeffC

                                > Ken Brown <savage99_250@y...> wrote:
                                > Jeff,
                                > I looked at the site. Those numbers at the bottom bother me.
                                > Those three to the left of the decimal point.
                                > Ken
                                >

                                > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Currier
                                <altapig2@y...>
                                > wrote:
                                > > Check this web site http://www.webcom.com/infinet/volcano.html or
                                at
                                > your local Dutch Oven supplier. JeffC
                                > >
                                > > Warren & Melody Kostenuk <kostenuk@i...> wrote:I don't know
                                anything
                                > about the Camp Chef APS but I did use a volcano on
                                > > our camping trip for the first time and LOVED it! I just need to
                                > learn
                                > > where I can get accessories so that I can stack up other pots and
                                > pans on
                                > > top on the Big Dutch. Any other Volcano folks know where I can get
                                > these?
                                > >
                                > > Melody
                                > >

                                > > >Question for the group. Which is better the Volcano or the Camp
                                > Chef
                                > > >APS? Are they identical or just similiar? I want one but can't
                                > > >decide which one to buy. All opinions requested, respected, and
                                > > >reviewed. Please comment.
                                > > >
                                > > >2Jerrys
                                > > >

                                > > >To unsubscribe from this group,
                                > > >click on "Edit My Membership" at the top right of the Group main
                                > page.
                                > > >Then click on "Leave Group".
                                > > >
                                > > >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                                > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                                > >

                                > > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                                > >
                                > > To unsubscribe from this group,
                                > > click on "Edit My Membership" at the top right of the Group main
                                > page.
                                > > Then click on "Leave Group".

                                Service.

                                > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                                >
                                > To unsubscribe from this group,
                                > click on "Edit My Membership" at the top right of the Group main
                                page.
                                > Then click on "Leave Group".

                              • Jeff Currier
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jul 31, 2003
                                  I have had 3 large Volcanos and a small one. I have never seen one of those small $29.00 BBQ's that you could place on a plastic top church/buffet table without melting the plastic. You can do that with a Volcano Cook Stove. All the heat is forced up, the bottom is cool. JeffC

                                  Ken Brown <savage99_250@...> wrote:Jeff,

                                  wrote:
                                  > Ken:
                                  > Sorry about that. I just did a search on Volcano and sent the
                                  website. You should be able to find one for under $100. These guys are
                                  blowing smoke, if they think they are going to get $299.00 for one.
                                  JeffC

                                  > Ken Brown <savage99_250@y...> wrote:
                                  > Jeff,
                                  > I looked at the site. Those numbers at the bottom bother me.
                                  > Those three to the left of the decimal point.
                                  > Ken
                                  >

                                  > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Currier
                                  <altapig2@y...>
                                  > wrote:
                                  > > Check this web site http://www.webcom.com/infinet/volcano.html or
                                  at
                                  > your local Dutch Oven supplier. JeffC
                                  > >
                                  > > Warren & Melody Kostenuk <kostenuk@i...> wrote:I don't know
                                  anything
                                  > about the Camp Chef APS but I did use a volcano on
                                  > > our camping trip for the first time and LOVED it! I just need to
                                  > learn
                                  > > where I can get accessories so that I can stack up other pots and
                                  > pans on
                                  > > top on the Big Dutch. Any other Volcano folks know where I can get
                                  > these?
                                  > >
                                  > > Melody
                                  > >

                                  > > >Question for the group. Which is better the Volcano or the Camp
                                  > Chef
                                  > > >APS? Are they identical or just similiar? I want one but can't
                                  > > >decide which one to buy. All opinions requested, respected, and
                                  > > >reviewed. Please comment.
                                  > > >
                                  > > >2Jerrys
                                  > > >

                                  > > >To unsubscribe from this group,
                                  > > >click on "Edit My Membership" at the top right of the Group main
                                  > page.
                                  > > >Then click on "Leave Group".
                                  > > >
                                  > > >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                                  > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                                  > >

                                  > > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                                  > >
                                  > > To unsubscribe from this group,
                                  > > click on "Edit My Membership" at the top right of the Group main
                                  > page.
                                  > > Then click on "Leave Group".

                                  Service.

                                  > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                                  >
                                  > To unsubscribe from this group,
                                  > click on "Edit My Membership" at the top right of the Group main
                                  page.
                                  > Then click on "Leave Group".

                                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                                  Then click on "Leave Group".

                                • rk84403
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Aug 1, 2003
                                    I'll jump in here--Which is better? They are the same. The guy who
                                    designed the original Volcano is no long associated with them. He
                                    took his new collapsable design to campchef. They have done a great
                                    job on it. I have a stationary Volcano, a prototype collapsable one
                                    from the designer and a campchef APS. Functionally, there is no
                                    difference. I would take a collapsable one over the other because of
                                    storage space. I also wouldn't pay over $100 for one. I keep one of
                                    the APS in my camper all the time. It is great in campsites that
                                    don't have a fire pit. I place it on a table top and it NEVER gets
                                    the table hot. I also use the grill feature. It turns it into a BBQ
                                    grill so I don't have to scrub the grids on the public grill. I have
                                    also used my Volcano on my redwood deck for years. Just don't drop a
                                    hot piece of charcoal on the deck--it burns real fast:-)