Re: [DUTCH OVEN COOKING] Re: New to all of this

  • Rick
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 30, 2003
      CathiBrown@... wrote:

      > seem to be having trouble with my chimney. I put the coals in it,
      > light the
      > newspaper on the bottom and then wonder how I'm going to get to the
      > red hot
      > coals on the bottom without having to empty the top. Seems the top
      > coals hardly
      > get started when the ones on the bottom are about done and falling
      > through!
      > I'm certainly doing something wrong! Now, my husband, he just layers
      > them in
      > the grill in a nice even layer, douses them with about a gallon (not
      > really) of
      > lighter fluid and watches the flames rise above our heads! Using a
      > chimney,
      > you shouldn't have to use any fluid, right?

      I'm a beginner at DO, so I haven't posted, but I have used a chimney a
      bit. I often put a couple pieces of kindling vertically in with the
      charcoal. The fire travels up the sticks.

      Rick Clements
    • Powell Jr, Roy
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2003
        Hey Rick,
        Welcome to the group. You are going to have a great time here talking
        with all these great people and great DO cooks. Hope to hear from you again
        soon.

        The Seasoned Rookie,
        Roy
        use to be a Bear
        WE4-1-51-02

        > seem to be having trouble with my chimney. I put the coals in it,
        > light the
        > newspaper on the bottom and then wonder how I'm going to get to the
        > red hot
        > coals on the bottom without having to empty the top. Seems the top
        > coals hardly
        > get started when the ones on the bottom are about done and falling
        > through!
        > I'm certainly doing something wrong! Now, my husband, he just layers
        > them in
        > the grill in a nice even layer, douses them with about a gallon (not
        > really) of
        > lighter fluid and watches the flames rise above our heads! Using a
        > chimney,
        > you shouldn't have to use any fluid, right?

        I'm a beginner at DO, so I haven't posted, but I have used a chimney a
        bit. I often put a couple pieces of kindling vertically in with the
        charcoal. The fire travels up the sticks.

        Rick Clements

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3512152.4794593.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17077442
        24:HM/A=1595054/R=0/SIG=124f8kfa7/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenattogy