Re: [DUTCH OVEN COOKING] Food storage bins

  • Donald Haase
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 3, 2003
      do the postings always come back

      duck60804 <duck60804@...> wrote:I was just wondering what you people use to put your caned and drey
      goods in I use those big blue bins from wallmart. I'm looking for
      other sugjestions. Please email back. Thank you

      Don

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Then click on "Leave Group".

    • Donald Haase
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 3, 2003
        Thanks for getting back to me i will take all the ideas i can get

        Brian Nielson <briannielson@...> wrote:My sister found me some bins that are very sturdy and mostly straight sides.
        I usually use one for non-cooler stuff that needs to not get smashed. I use
        milk crates (or file crates) for canned goods. Those crates are also good
        for breads and chips, etc. If you pack them right they stack tightly on top
        of each other.

        My DO stuff is in a wooden box I made.

        Brian

        I was just wondering what you people use to put your caned and drey
        goods in I use those big blue bins from wallmart. I'm looking for
        other sugjestions. Please email back. Thank you

        Don

        Then click on "Leave Group".

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        Then click on "Leave Group".

      • Ken Brown
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 3, 2003
          Those blue wal-mart boxes must be popular as well as tough. I use
          them for all my utinsals, mixing bowls, spoons, etc. I have been
          using heavy cardboard boxes for can goods and dry mix boxes. I have a
          black plastic packer toolbox (also from Wal-Mart) that these fit into.
          It is tough, waterproof, and has places on each side to lock it, if
          needed. Bigger items fit into those plastic boxes that have the lids
          hinging on the side. The kind where each half of the lid comes
          together in the middle. One of the items on the summer list is to
          build a good chuck box out of plywood. I have seen several plans that
          I like.
          Ken

          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "duck60804" <duck60804@y...>
          wrote:
          > I was just wondering what you people use to put your caned and drey
          > goods in I use those big blue bins from wallmart. I'm looking for
          > other sugjestions. Please email back. Thank you
          >
          > Don
        • Donald Haase
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 4, 2003
            Hey there Ken it is nice to meet other people that are into this great form of cooking in the outdoors. I was wondering were you get that the plans for the box let me know please. thanks
            Don Haase

            wrote:
            > I was just wondering what you people use to put your caned and drey
            > goods in I use those big blue bins from wallmart. I'm looking for
            > other sugjestions. Please email back. Thank you
            >
            > Don

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            Then click on "Leave Group".

          • Ken Brown
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 4, 2003
              Don,
              I began doing searches for camp boxes, chuck boxes, and patrol boxes.
              There are many scouting sites out there with detailed plans. Then I
              started looking at boxes people had made, and began getting the ideas
              down of what I wanted to include and how much it would hold while
              still being able to be moved by one person. A friend found a super
              deal on a box on ebay, but those deals don't come along very often.
              The best advice I was given, and will pass on is: "Don't make it any
              wider than it is comfortable for you to reach and pick up the side
              handles, if you are going to be moving it by yourself." When I
              thought about this, I realize that width and depth will be a factor.
              If I ever get this built, and if I ever get a digital camera, I will
              post pictures.
              Ken

              --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Donald Haase <duck60804@y...>
              wrote:
              > Hey there Ken it is nice to meet other people that are into this
              great form of cooking in the outdoors. I was wondering were you get
              that the plans for the box let me know please. thanks
              > Don Haase
              >
              > Ken Brown <savage99_250@y...> wrote:
              > Those blue wal-mart boxes must be popular as well as tough. I use
              > them for all my utinsals, mixing bowls, spoons, etc. I have been
              > using heavy cardboard boxes for can goods and dry mix boxes. I have
              > black plastic packer toolbox (also from Wal-Mart) that these fit
              into.
              > It is tough, waterproof, and has places on each side to lock it, if
              > needed. Bigger items fit into those plastic boxes that have the
              lids
              > hinging on the side. The kind where each half of the lid comes
              > together in the middle. One of the items on the summer list is to
              > build a good chuck box out of plywood. I have seen several plans
              that
              > I like.
              > Ken
              >

              > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "duck60804"
              <duck60804@y...>
              > wrote:
              > > I was just wondering what you people use to put your caned and
              drey
              > > goods in I use those big blue bins from wallmart. I'm looking for
              > > other sugjestions. Please email back. Thank you
              > >
              > > Don
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              > To unsubscribe from this group,
              > click on "Edit My Membership" at the top right of the Group main
              page.
              > Then click on "Leave Group".

            • Brian Nielson
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 4, 2003
                I think sometimes people use a 'chuck box' to just throw 'chuck' there stuff
                into. I prefer a very organized system. And, since we are finally moving
                into a place (we have been 'homeless' since January, as I've been looking
                for work, taking the bar exam, etc.), I should be able to post some pics of
                my box and my sketches, very very soon.

                I wanted the box to be narrow enough to be lifted by me, and it almost is,
                but then it is still pretty heavy. I can move it by myself, but usually
                that is just getting it in and out of the van at the house. If I am taking
                the box, we are probably with friends, so I can get help getting it set up.

                My system generally is that this box is a complete kitchen, without food,
                without a stove, and without DO stuff. The Camp Chef stove completes the
                set, and often I'll take my little coleman for simmering stuff. If I am
                going to use the ovens (98% of the time), I add my DO table and box of gear,
                plus the ovens of course.

                When all is in the van, it takes a fair amount of space, but well worth it
                once we are in camp. Every so often I will think, this is too much, but
                then everyone asks if we are bringing it again- so I guess it isnt too bad.

                Brian

                wrote:
                > Hey there Ken it is nice to meet other people that are into this
                great form of cooking in the outdoors. I was wondering were you get
                that the plans for the box let me know please. thanks
                > Don Haase
                >
                > Ken Brown <savage99_250@y...> wrote:
                > Those blue wal-mart boxes must be popular as well as tough. I use
                > them for all my utinsals, mixing bowls, spoons, etc. I have been
                > using heavy cardboard boxes for can goods and dry mix boxes. I have
                > black plastic packer toolbox (also from Wal-Mart) that these fit
                into.
                > It is tough, waterproof, and has places on each side to lock it, if
                > needed. Bigger items fit into those plastic boxes that have the
                lids
                > hinging on the side. The kind where each half of the lid comes
                > together in the middle. One of the items on the summer list is to
                > build a good chuck box out of plywood. I have seen several plans
                that
                > I like.
                > Ken
                >

                > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "duck60804"
                <duck60804@y...>
                > wrote:
                > > I was just wondering what you people use to put your caned and
                drey
                > > goods in I use those big blue bins from wallmart. I'm looking for
                > > other sugjestions. Please email back. Thank you
                > >
                > > Don
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                > To unsubscribe from this group,
                > click on "Edit My Membership" at the top right of the Group main
                page.
                > Then click on "Leave Group".

                Then click on "Leave Group".

              • Brenda
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 4, 2003
                  Brian~

                  I will be the first to make your box! You emailed me pictures a few
                  months back and it is terrific! I agree, organization is key to any
                  good cook.

                  I can't wait for those plans!

                  Brenda

                  --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Nielson"
                  <briannielson@a...> wrote:
                  > I think sometimes people use a 'chuck box' to just throw 'chuck'
                  there stuff
                  > into. I prefer a very organized system. And, since we are
                  finally moving
                  > into a place (we have been 'homeless' since January, as I've been
                  looking
                  > for work, taking the bar exam, etc.), I should be able to post
                  some pics of
                  > my box and my sketches, very very soon.
                  >
                  > I wanted the box to be narrow enough to be lifted by me, and it
                  almost is,
                  > but then it is still pretty heavy. I can move it by myself, but
                  usually
                  > that is just getting it in and out of the van at the house. If I
                  am taking
                  > the box, we are probably with friends, so I can get help getting
                  it set up.

                  > My system generally is that this box is a complete kitchen,
                  without food,
                  > without a stove, and without DO stuff. The Camp Chef stove
                  completes the
                  > set, and often I'll take my little coleman for simmering stuff.
                  If I am
                  > going to use the ovens (98% of the time), I add my DO table and
                  box of gear,
                  > plus the ovens of course.
                  >
                  > When all is in the van, it takes a fair amount of space, but well
                  worth it
                  > once we are in camp. Every so often I will think, this is too
                  much, but
                  > then everyone asks if we are bringing it again- so I guess it isnt
                  too bad.

                  > Brian

                  Service.

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                • DutchOvenDave@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 4, 2003
                    You also have to be careful just how much you place within the chuck box.
                    Last August when returning from a campout with the Scouts I made a decision to
                    unload my truck by myself. (Sometimes adult males forget that they are no
                    longer 19 years old.) I was doing OK until I got to the chuck box. And I was
                    doing good still as I carried it across the garage floor. Things were still OK
                    as I bent my knees and started down to the floor with it. As I finally bent
                    over to place it on the floor, bam, I felt my back pop and for the next three
                    days I was on my back on the living room floor. Finally swallowed my pride and
                    had my wife call the Emergency Squad to get me to the hospital to get
                    treatment. The moral of this story? Always have help in loading and unloading your
                    chuck box.
                    Sometimes I look at the chuck box and think, maybe. But common sense steps
                    in and I get someone to help. We sometimes look at a box of any kind and think
                    it needs to be full, we may just need that item on the trip. Not 19, not
                    Charles Atlas, just plain ole me with limitations.

                    Dave

                  • dutchovencook99
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 4, 2003
                      Another place for Chuck box type of plans are at http://www.ubild.com
                      johnw-ks
                    • Barbara Wilkins
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 13, 2003
                        I have searched this location, but have not found any
                        plans for a chuckbox; could you be more specific on
                        where they could be found at that website?

                        Mark

                        --- dutchovencook99 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                        > Another place for Chuck box type of plans are at
                        > http://www.ubild.com
                        > johnw-ks

                        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                      • Brenda
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 13, 2003
                          Mark ~

                          Check under outdoor projects. It's project #213

                          Brenda

                          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Wilkins
                          <barb7513@y...> wrote:
                          > I have searched this location, but have not found any
                          > plans for a chuckbox; could you be more specific on
                          > where they could be found at that website?
                          >
                          > Mark
                          >
                          > --- dutchovencook99 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                          > > Another place for Chuck box type of plans are at
                          > > http://www.ubild.com
                          > > johnw-ks

                          > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                        • "BISCUIT"
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 13, 2003
                            Go to files..... look under Ray's
                            Scout Chuck Box.

                            Also LINKS has some chuck box sites, dutch oven information/patrol
                            box plans

                            --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Brenda" <DutchOvenGal@a...>