RE: [dutchovencooking] NDOG Adopt A Cook

  • Dave Fox
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 18, 2013

      Here is a three pot meal for them to cook, Eric, I would start with the bread pudding, followed closely by the chicken and rice and finish with the biscuits~Dave Fox

      Chicken and Rice( 45 min)

      1 cup Uncle Ben’s converted rice, 2 ½ to 3 cups of frozen mixed vegetables 2 cans cream of chicken soup or equal amount of chicken broth and a package of chicken gravy mix

      1 30 oz. can of chicken or two pounds of chicken tenderloins, ¼ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp pepper, ½ to 1 cup chopped onions, 1/2tsp garlic powder.

      In greased Dutch oven all the ingredients and mix up. Bake for 45 min until rice is done at 350° (1-ring charcoal under and 1-1/2 rings charcoal on top)

      Bread Pudding (45-60 min)

      4 packed cups Dry Bread slices (broken up, left over sweet rolls or toast or French bread best.)

       2 cups Milk, 1 tsp. Vanilla, 4 Eggs

       1/2 cup Sugar 1/4 tsp. Salt 1/2 cup Raisins Nutmeg/cinnamon to taste.

      Frosting of 1 1/2c powdered sugar 1/4c (1/2 stick) butter 1/4c lemon juice

      Beat together milk, eggs, sugar and Vanilla, raisins and salt. Pour over bread and allow to soak for several minutes. Pour in a warmed foil lined 12" Dutch Oven. Mix a little Nutmeg over the pudding. Bake for 1 hour at 350 ( 1-ring under and 1-1/2 rings on top) or when a knife inserted comes out clean. Lemon sauce made by mixing powdered sugar, butter, lemon juice and small amount water together and bringing to a boil, can be served over this dish.

      Quick Biscuits (15-20 min)

      Cook in 8” pan on trivet to keep pan off bottom and burning bottom of biscuits

      2 C Pioneer Buttermilk Biscuit Mix 2/3 cup milk, and ½ to 1 cup of shredded cheese

       Stir the mix and milk or water until soft dough forms(use metal Tablespoon). Drop 8 equal spoonfuls of dough into greased pan. Bake at 450 (1 ring under and 2-1/2 to 3 rings on top- stack on top of chicken and rice DO omitting ring of coals under) 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Instead of dropping dough, you can flour hands and pick up golf ball size pieces of dough and roll into ball in hands and place against each other tightly in pan.

      Dutch Oven Cooking Temps.

      (# of brickets of charcoal to use)

      Easiest and simplest: Cook almost everything there is to cook with just four temperatures..... slow, medium, hot, and very hot. For a 12-inch oven, slow will have 1-ring on top, and 1 ring under the pot and be 300-325. Medium is 1-ring under and 1-1/2 rings on top and is 350 +/- 25. A hot oven is 1-ring under and 2-rings on top and is 400 +/- 25, and very hot is 1 ring under and 2-1/2 rings on top and is 450 to 500 F or so. If you must count, take DO size, multiply by 2 and put 1/3 under and 2/3 on top (12” oven=8 under& 16 on top=350). The resulting temperature depends on the size, and brand of your charcoal, how long it has been lit, the wind, and even if it is sunny or shady (a black pot will cook 25 degrees hotter in the summer sun than in the shade). Dust off ash often since acts as insulator. Keep adequate amount of hot coals ready.