RE: Browning 12" DO Question?

  • bob.zukowski
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 2, 2013
      I think I answered my own question: Camp Chef. PS. I noticed we cannot delete our own posts any longer. --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, <bob.zukowski@...> wrote:

      Sportsman's Warehouse sells a 12" CDO with the Browning Logo cast into the lid. Is this a Lodge product! Found one on craigslist but I want to be sure.   Thanks,   Bob
    • odironchefs
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 2, 2013

        No browning is made by camp chef still a good a dutch oven

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 2, 2013
          I am NOT the all knowing on DO manufacturing/suppliers but I have asked a few questions and participated in several conversations on the subject of knock off Dutch ovens.
          All these observations I am about to share with you play a part in this long winded editorial. I hope you enjoy the read.

          My knowledge base leads me to believe Camp Chef makes several of the generic brand DO's being sold with private labels. I.E. Bass Pro, Cabala's, Academy and probably Dick's. (BTW we are getting a Dicks here in Lake Chuck, LA!)

          Also going into my knowledge base on the subject is my personal experience and relationship with those in the high performance VW parts arena. In choosing parts for extreme situations, you would prefer Pick of the litter or for short- POTL. My preferred parts house only sales POTL and lets the manufacturers sell the seconds to other retailers. Of course it makes POTL more expensive.

          Take for instance DO's from Tractor Supply...
          I recently heard a story where a camp cook was seeking an inexpensive DO and had the associate open 5 boxes before she found the one she could live with. She paid about $15 for it. Does Tractor supply sale POTL? Not by my standards. 2nds? They might get a few. 3rds? If they are lucky or the manufacturer is just trying to get his money out of the labor and materials. Pontificating on business application just a minute or two, any neutral transaction does not end up being a loss IF (big if) they have managed to pull in enough profit from the POTL sales leaving the 3rd's and 4th's for bargain seekers. Are they bargains? I have been needing to pick up a TS version for a while to demonstrate to my audience what NOT to purchase...

          We all know about the Lodge second's. I own at least 1 if not a couple! The Lodge stores have (I have heard) a room where second's are displayed for sale and one can go in check them out and purchase one with a significant discount from Lodges POTL.

          Now let's drop over to Camp Chef (CC). This is only my thoughts on the subject and not fact based but I think it could be a plausible situation...
          I have seen, and I own a couple myself, where Camp Chef produces custom lids for DO's. I have the #10- 25th Anniversary for IDOS, the #12- Texas from 2012 NDOG and I have just mailed a check for the #12- Arkansas 2013 NDOG edition. All fine DO's produced by Camp Chef. The word around the camp fire is CC has their DO's produced overseas. Fine with me as long as I am secure knowing they are selling me the POTL. But are they? Truth is I have never heard of a quality complaint about a CC DO so I guess their record stands on their own merit. Oh I'm sure someone somewhere has had a problem but like Lodge, did CC make it right? I would think so since there isn't anyone out there complaining too loudly. If CC is making a large portion of the knock off DO's then CC has an excellent marketing ploy and I tip my cooking hat to them for hanging in and keeping the competition in the market place.

          As for knock off's... Camp Chef makes two versions of their Camp DO's I am familiar with. There is the one with the square lid (with small legs on the lid) and the "classic" version which has a lid resembling the Lodge lid. Ever notice the classic looks a lot like the knock-offs? Take for instance Dick's Sporting Goods. Dick's handles Camp Chef, Lodge, King Cooker and Texsport. Wide variety isn't it! In my local Academy store I see shelves with Lodge and Outdoors Gourmet. My local Stines (Lumber and hardware store) carries a few Lodge but mostly Bayou Classic. BTW- Bayou Classic has an engraved logo on the bottom so these are produced for Bayou Classic and sent to the US from overseas producers under private label.

          For the new to cast iron consumer, purchasing a DO at Dick's, will they purchase the Lodge 6 quart for $70 or the 8 quart Texsport for $50 or maybe the 8 quart King Cooker for $74? Hey the King Cooker is BIGGER and it has the spring insulated bail on it. THAT's worth 4 more dollars isn't it? If the truth was known, Camp Chef probably makes the Texsport AND the King Cooker for Dick's (as well as all the "other" generic brands we are familiar with) overseas and makes the lid for them here in the United States.

          I for one don't have a problem with Camp Chef oven's knowing they are produced overseas. I own a lot of Lodge DO's but I carry my personalized ovens in my camper all the time. Purchasing a DO requires some thought and education BEFORE you start looking and laying money on the table. Wall thickness uniformity, lid wobble and leg length all play a part in the function of a DO. Leg Length Randy? Yep! I recently saw a DO where the legs were too short for the coals to be placed underneath. No label DO apparently made its way to a "Flea Market" in Texas and along the road somewhere one or more legs were found defective so the manufacturer (or someone here in the states) trimmed all the legs to same length and sold it as new DO. Fortunately for the buyer he got a real bargain on it. I advised him to trim the legs off flush so he could use it on a stove indoors and just use the lid stand outdoors like he was using already to get coals underneath.

          BTW- have you ever noticed how Lodge clocks the legs to the bail handles where there is always 1 leg 90 degrees off set from the bail where Camp Chef doesn't? Or the bail on Lodge falls equally on each side of the DO where the Camp Chef falls further on one side than the other? What about Lodge doesn't have a flat pour spout tabs but Camp Chef does? Ever notice Texsport and Bayou Classic have pour spout tabs, off center clocking of legs, one sided flopping handle and the under sized bail wire? I have... All these observations play a part in this long winded editorial. I hope you enjoyed the read.

          That; my fellow cooks is my thoughts on the subject! Hope it helps the new DO folks better understand more about the DO selection process and shed some light on how affordable this hobby can be when you know a little more than the salesman does before you pay for something you are not satisfied with.

          Randy Bear

          PS. Folks producing Camp Chef and Lodge DO's are more than welcome to elaborate and/or explain where I may be in error. I am NOT thin skinned by no means! RJH

          PSS. Don't forget the National DOG 3rd Sat in October. I will be doing the Jambalaya Cooking Demo on Sat around 1! My question is should I use my big pot or my BIG POT?
        • Kent Anderson
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 2, 2013
            Both companies are headquartered in Utah. They partner on several products.
            Kent

            Sent from my iPhone

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 2, 2013
              That is Browning and Camp Chef are Utah companies. Lots of foreign content in their products, but everything I have bought has been good quality

              Kent

              On Sep 2, 2013, at 8:04 AM, <odironchefs@... <mailto:odironchefs%40yahoo.com> > wrote:

              > No browning is made by camp chef still a good a dutch oven
              >
              > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com <mailto:dutchovencooking%40yahoogroups.com> , <dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com <mailto:dutchovencooking%40yahoogroups.com> > wrote:
              >

              > Sportsman's Warehouse sells a 12" CDO with the Browning Logo cast into the lid. Is this a Lodge product! Found one on craigslist but I want to be sure. Thanks, Bob

            • Dwayne Lejeune
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 3, 2013
                well i have ate your cooking, So I vote for big big pot!

                Dwayne ~n~ Stephanie
                2011 Chevy 3500 HD 6.6 Duramax
                2012 Voltage V-3950
                http://www.LeChienCookers.com/
                " Waiting On Someday"

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 4, 2013
                  Randy, Thanks for the information. Bring the BIG POT to the NDOG I will be attending and love Jambalaya (medium hot want to taste other flavors). I will bring my BIG SPOON.

                  -------
                  Randy's from his post. PSS. Don't forget the National DOG 3rd Sat in October. I will be doing the Jambalaya Cooking Demo on Sat around 1! My question is should I use my big pot or my BIG POT?

                  I have two 10" Lodge - one I did buy at Lodge seconds store in Tennessee. Years ago we stopped at the interstate visitors center, in TN and got a coupon for a free 10" skillet from this store which lead me to my first Lodge 10 DO purchase. I also have a small 6" DO for two or vegetables.

                  Roasted my first chicken this week should have added water to get more broth and keep the chicken more moist. But it will be used for a chicken pot pie.

                  Don
                • bob.zukowski
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 4, 2013

                    Interesting information! Thanks. Bob Z.