Re: [dutchovencooking] Re: aluminum dutch oven

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 6 7:55 AM
      Rich,
      I wish Scott Manufacturing was still in business. I have the 12 and 10 with 17 years in them. Love them! Wish I could get more, and a bigger one!
      Tom

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Aug 6, 2013, at 7:37 AM, Richard Smith <cookndad@...> wrote:

      > Aluminum ovens are great - they take the same heat as iron, do heat up and cool down a little quicker, and are we o easy to clean and care for. At 1/3 the weight of cast iron, the only disadvantage is the higher cost to buy them. I own three old 12" Scott's Manufacturing Ovens and a 10" without legs. I'll be buying a 14" aluminum oven one day, and thinning down the collection of iron. Aluminum cooks faster due to the already mentioned rapid conduction of heat. Side - by side cobbler cooking showe me this is the case, although I'm not sure exactly why...??!
      >
      > Rich in KS
      > Sent from my ASUS Pad

    • Iceman Bozeman
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 6 2:36 PM
        I have been using a GSI 14 inch aluminum hard anodized oven for about 4 years and it performs very well. No significant issue with burning using the tried and true ring method of temperature control.

        --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "crosscountrydutchovens" <crosscountrydutchovens@...> wrote:

        > Anyone have any first hand knowledge of the aluminum or hard anodized dutch ovens?
        > I know this is not the pot of choice!! I already own over 60 cast iron DO's plus numerous other cast iron pieces. So I totally get the value of the cast iron & absolutely live for cast iron. However, I was just told I will never lift over 10-20 lbs. Dutch ovens are my life here in NE Oklahoma. I cook daily in cast iron & teach numerous DO classes throughout our area and want to stay in the hobby that I love. Thinking aluminum may be the alternative. Any thoughts?
        >
        > Lorri Lyn
        > Cross Country Dutch Ovens

      • horseqrtrs
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 6 7:30 PM
          I love to cook with both iron pots and aluminum pots. The best part of the alumuminum is how light they are, I use them when I pack in the backcountry with my horses. I have a wood board I set the 12 in pot into with its feet that fits between my saw bucks, the 10 inch nests inside the 12 inch,,, along with my trivet and strap my pot lifter to the whole rig.This frees up space in my panniers for other stuff, and I dont have the rattle problem with loose pots and parts. I can leave my propane stove at home, except when there is wood or charcoal fire restictions then I have to take the stove.

          For the second reason I use aluminum,, my family has a genetic thing called hemochromatosis,,, where we store Iron, which is a bad thing to have your body do. Secondary health issues are many forms of cancer occur liver, pancreas, prostate are excentuated with iron storage. well the first thing you have to give up is good ole iron pots cause they leach iron into our food. Along with giving up the foods that are iron rich,,, So I cook many times with aluminum or parchment lined iron pots to lower the iron content leached into the cooking process.

          The one note I do have about aluminum pots is they heat up much quicker then Iron pots do and they cool down a lot quicker as well. So that is something to adjust for when cooking.

          Kelli

          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "crosscountrydutchovens" <crosscountrydutchovens@...> wrote:

          > Anyone have any first hand knowledge of the aluminum or hard anodized dutch ovens?
          > I know this is not the pot of choice!! I already own over 60 cast iron DO's plus numerous other cast iron pieces. So I totally get the value of the cast iron & absolutely live for cast iron. However, I was just told I will never lift over 10-20 lbs. Dutch ovens are my life here in NE Oklahoma. I cook daily in cast iron & teach numerous DO classes throughout our area and want to stay in the hobby that I love. Thinking aluminum may be the alternative. Any thoughts?
          >
          > Lorri Lyn
          > Cross Country Dutch Ovens

        • IDBlackPot Pat
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 8 1:57 PM
            Renewal Community Church and New Life Church of Caldwell, would like to announce the 2nd Annual Dutch Oven Cowboy Cook-Off
            September 7th 2013 at Memorial Park in Caldwell

            The Cook-Off will have two divisions: an adult 2 pot division and a
            Youth (Under 16) 1 pot division. All skill levels are invited and
            encouraged to participate.

            The event will be held on September 7, 2013 at the Memorial Park in
            Caldwell. The adult cooks can arrive any time after 8 AM with cooking
            starting at 10:00 AM. The Youth division will start cooking at 11 am.
            The Award Ceremony will be at 3 pm. Prizes will be awarded in both
            divisions.

            Come on out cook and have fun.

            The cost to enter is $10 per team. It will be free to watch the cooks
            compete and to participate in the other Family Fun Events taking place
            at the park.

            Other events that will be taking place are: Live Music, Family Fun Games
            and MORE!!! Lunch which will be provided by New Life Church.

            Have you ever wanted to explore learning the art of Dutch Oven Cooking?
            There will also be basic Dutch Oven Cooking Classes held at 10:30 AM and
            12:30 PM.

            All questions should be directed to dutchovencookoffcaldwell@....

            There is something for EVERYONE, so come and enjoy this community event
            Thank you, we hope to see you in September.

          • magnusfide
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 15 3:42 PM
              Where are aluminum dutch ovens made? Any made in North America?
              Magnus
            • Outpost Jim
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 17 4:05 AM
                Rocky Kimball has re-tooled the "Woody" Dutch Ovens. They are manufactured in Michigan. Our Scout Troop has one and its really easy to put in someones backpack for a meal on the trail. Just do a "Google" search for Woody dutch ovens. They're about $100.
              • magnusfide
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 17 5:58 PM
                  Thanks. Will definitely check them out.
                  Magnus