Re: [dutchovencooking] Re: IT DIDN'T WORK!

  • Dwayne Lejeune
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 21, 2013
      HUUghhhh,
      too high tech for me,
      I like the K.I.S.S. method

      Dwayne ~n~ Stephanie
      2011 Chevy 3500 HD 6.6 Duramax
      2012 Voltage V-3950
      http://www.LeChienCookers.com/
      " Waiting On Someday"

      ________________________________
      From: Ken <savage99_250@...>
      To: dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, July 21, 2013 11:36 AM
      Subject: [dutchovencooking] Re: IT DIDN'T WORK!

      Looking at the math on this one, and rounding off the numbers, the surface area of a 12 inch oven is 112 square inches and the surface area of a 16 inch oven is 200 square inches. Or, just a little less than twice the area of the 12 inch.

      If your dish was two inches high inside the oven, the 12 inch would have 224 cubic inches and the 16 inch would have 400 cubic inches.

      If your dish was three inches high inside the oven, the 12 inch would have 336 cubic inches and the 16 would have 600 cubic inches.

      So you would double the dish when going from a 12 to a 16 inch oven.

      What I am wondering is would the bottom of the 16 cook better if you used a checkerboard type pattern under the oven instead of a ring and an inner ring and rotated the oven a few degrees regularly?

      Ken

      --- In mailto:dutchovencooking%40yahoogroups.com, Randy Hebert <RandyHebert@...> wrote:

      > What challenges has anyone met creating larger or smaller dishes in their Dutch ovens?
      >
      > Like making a full pot of cobbler in a 16" deep Dutch oven, yes I own one thank you!, can't be done exactly like you would in a #12.  The upsize dish requires 1) more ingredients to be balanced and appear more like a cobbler and not a cookie and 2) needs a little less heat in the beginning to set the cake then an increase in heat to brown.  That is if you have a set time to share it.
      > The lower baking temp keeps the sugars from carmalizing to the pot while the center gets appropriate heat to cook.
      >
      > Anyone else have a twist to share?
      >
      > Randy Bear
      >
      > Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

    • Iceman Bozeman
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 22, 2013
        I agree with the size, but the ring size already compensates well for the size of the oven and I have not seen any reduction in bottom heat with my 16 inch oven. So extra charcoal on the bottom seems risky for hot spots to me. Of course if you are cooking soup or a high liquid dish, then no big deal.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 22, 2013
          Somewhere in the files section is a conversion chart. To convert from 12 to 16 and so forth.