Re: [dutchovencooking] Re: Lodge Parchment Paper Universal Dutch Oven Liners

  • Wally Dennis
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 18 9:58 AM
      I have a pack of 10, 12, and 14' DO liners plus the parchment liner from Wally world.
      Haven't used any of them.  I keep my ovens well seasoned and use a spray bottle of Vinegar water no problems with food sticking unless I really screw up.  My 2 cents worth.
      Wally

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 19 3:54 AM
        Parchment paper is real handy.

        It is good to use with baking bread, pies, and cakes. I have seen it used with cobblers too.

        Contestants in Dutch Oven Cook Offs use it all the time. How do you think they get those pies and cakes out looking so pretty? And without sticking.

        Get out and try it! You will like it.

        Biscuit
      • Jim Benenson
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 19 8:44 AM
          I have never used DO liners primarily because I don't make cobblers or
          anything similar that would require them. Of course I have some; I
          bought them a few years ago. 8^) Maybe I'll be bold and try them
          although I really don't mind the cleanup time. My wife lets me do the
          pots, pans, cutting boards, kitchen knives, etc. hand washing at home
          and when camping. Aren't I lucky?
        • Lynn H. Ogden
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 19 10:03 AM
            I use them when making 'sticky stuff' like dump cobbler or pineapple upside down cake. They make for easier removal and you don't have to scratch off the burnt, caramelized sugar from your pot.

            Lynn

          • Ken
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 19 1:28 PM
              I used the paper liners when we were doing chili and cornbread for a crowd. I could use them for the cornbread, then take the cornbread out and set it on the upside down oven lid to cut it and serve it. Much easier that way.

              If memory serves we cooked about eight 14 inch ovens of chili and six 12 inch ovens of cornbread.

              As to the cleanup, you are lucky. You know it was done right and it is ready to use again.

              Ken

              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 19 8:16 PM
                I haven't used mine either. But if, at some time, I am camping someplace where we don't have a water hookup, and we have to make do with the little dab of water we bring with us, I will use them. My shower is more important than being "period correct" when cooking. Ronda

                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 19 8:19 PM
                  I've never understood why it's ok for the cook off folks to use parchment paper for their desserts, but they raise cain about using foil for anything. I think you should use whatever you want to make the food turn out well. And whatever makes you happy! Ronda

                  > Parchment paper is real handy.
                  >
                  > It is good to use with baking bread, pies, and cakes. I have seen it used with cobblers too.
                  >
                  > Contestants in Dutch Oven Cook Offs use it all the time. How do you think they get those pies and cakes out looking so pretty? And without sticking.
                  >
                  > Get out and try it! You will like it.
                  >
                  > Biscuit

                • Dwayne Lejeune
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 19 8:28 PM
                    Here here mizz Ronda

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    On Jul 19, 2013, at 10:19 PM, "rlb_51" <rlb_51@...> wrote:

                    > I've never understood why it's ok for the cook off folks to use parchment paper for their desserts, but they raise cain about using foil for anything. I think you should use whatever you want to make the food turn out well. And whatever makes you happy! Ronda
                    >
                    > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "mississippi_biscuit" <n5hbb@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Parchment paper is real handy.
                    > >
                    > > It is good to use with baking bread, pies, and cakes. I have seen it used with cobblers too.
                    > >
                    > > Contestants in Dutch Oven Cook Offs use it all the time. How do you think they get those pies and cakes out looking so pretty? And without sticking.
                    > >
                    > > Get out and try it! You will like it.
                    > >
                    > > Biscuit

                  • Wally Dennis
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 20 7:22 AM
                      When I first started with Dutch Ovens I read a article about foil that stated if when serving or stirring the pot that if it got torn and a small piece got served and swallowed especially the heavy duty it could raise holy heck with your intestines.

                      Also with cobbler's and sweet stuff the juice gets between the foil and  the pot and sticks then its hard to get the foil out.  Ive seen this happen and the guy had a mess.

                      The best way I've found is keep the pot seasoned well and good heat control.

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 20 7:59 AM
                        Thanks for the level headed info Wally. You are exactly right.  No doubt there are times foil or liners can be utilized or they wouldn't be available.  We determine what is functional and not functional by where we spend our money (or in this case vote).
                        Your point is also something I will next time I'm going thru a cast iron buffet. My modified digestive system is complicated enough with out me possibly adding to the problem from ignorance or consideration of the dangers.

                        Randy Bear

                      • Wally Dennis
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 20 8:30 AM
                          Randy
                          I don't' know how true that was about the foil.  I read it some where when I was learning (or trying to) about DO cooking.  Our club used a bunch of the regular liners last year when we were cooking for a truck show and feed about 175 people.  They were short ovens for cobblers.  the cooked the cobblers lifted them out when done and set them aside put another liner in and cooked worked out great.  Just served out of the liners.  They are a lot heaver than regular tin foil.
                          Wally

                          ________________________________
                          Thanks for the level headed info Wally. You are exactly right.  No doubt there are times foil or liners can be utilized or they wouldn't be available.  We determine what is functional and not functional by where we spend our money (or in this case vote).
                          Your point is also something I will next time I'm going thru a cast iron buffet. My modified digestive system is complicated enough with out me possibly adding to the problem from ignorance or consideration of the dangers.

                          Randy Bear

                        • Bill Shattuck
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 20 8:56 AM
                            I use the aluminum liners whenever we to demos. That way I can put in a new liner and keep cooking. Usually no running water where we do demo's.

                            Moose

                            Sent from my iPhone

                            On Jul 20, 2013, at 9:30 AM, Wally Dennis <wally.dennis@...> wrote:

                            > Randy
                            > I don't' know how true that was about the foil. I read it some where when I was learning (or trying to) about DO cooking. Our club used a bunch of the regular liners last year when we were cooking for a truck show and feed about 175 people. They were short ovens for cobblers. the cooked the cobblers lifted them out when done and set them aside put another liner in and cooked worked out great. Just served out of the liners. They are a lot heaver than regular tin foil.
                            > Wally
                            >
                            > ________________________________

                          • icookforcrowds
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 20 9:19 AM
                              My hubby is also the 'dishes' guy when we camp. After we used the parchment liners the first time, he said (direct quote), "We are NEVER camping without these again!" Needless to say, there are usually a couple of boxes in my Christmas stocking every year!
                              Becky

                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 20 10:57 AM
                                That would work for me.
                                Wally

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 20 11:07 AM
                                  I understood your comments Wally. I was one of those lazy adult patrol leaders at one time and was seeking an easy clean up option. It was a disaster!  Made things worse for me not better.  Of course heat control was the biggest campfire culprit then and I know it now.

                                  We all talk about cooking in Dutch Ovens and the No-Limit factor but frankly I have stumbled accross some limitations here and there.

                                  Like making a full pot of cobbler in a 16" deep Dutch oven, yes I own one thank you!, can't be done exactly like you would in a #12.

                                  Randy Bear

                                  I'm going to explore this "alteration" idea.  See my next post...

                                  Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

                                • kelly83686
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 30 3:16 PM
                                    I'm a big fan of liners--I've used parchment paper, aluminum foil, and Reynolds Wrap Pan Lining paper. I have not used the premade foil liners but am planning to give those a try soon. (I really want to find out if I can brown hamburger using a premade foil liner!) When I'm at home I don't mind not using a liner because I have easy access to all my cleaning equipment plus sinks and hot running water. Out in the field I want to minimize my cleaning chores.

                                    Here's a great tutorial on making a parchment paper liner:
                                    http://www.everydaydutchoven.com/2011/04/parchment-paper.html

                                    Kelly