Re: Boiled Okra

    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 17, 2013
      We like to chop up some bacon and fry it, then remove from skillet. Add sliced okra (plain, not battered or floured), sliced jalapenos and some garlic salt or Tony's Creole seasoning. When it's slightly browned and about done, throw the bacon pieces back in to re-heat them. It's the best. I think it's the bacon oil that makes it taste so good. Ronda

      --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Randy Hebert <RandyHebert@...> wrote:

      > Okra is frequently used for flavor and thickening gumbo here in Louisiana .  I have heard of frying okra to seal the pores to prevent the slim or battering then frying and eating the nuggets like popcorn or hush puppies.  Cooking okra in a crock pot would bring out the undesired texture in okra just because of the length of time it is cooked.
      > I dont care for battered and fried okra but I will try them when available. My favorite way to eat okra would be stewed on tomatoes or an okra gumbo. Looking back, okra gumbo, to me, compares to cornbread and milk for dinner.  It's what poor folks would eat but us kids didn't know we were poor and just thought it was great food!
      >
      > Randy Hebert
      > www.LeChienCookers.com

    • B B Palmer
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 18, 2013
        A lot of Southerners put a few whole pods of okra in their fresh peas, and some even cook a few pods in with their collard greens. An old maan used to say "it's good if you like it"

      • beeman
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 18, 2013
          Pickled Okra is really good snack food to me. My granny used to do that and I loved it.

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 18, 2013
            Doug's mom used to put a few jalapenos and some red pepper in her okra when she pickled & canned it. THAT was good! I sure miss her. Ronda