Re: Boiled Okra

  • tucsonbill@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 17, 2013
      I tried a slow cooker recipe with fresh okra in it the other day. Turned out to be a slimy mess. Ended up chucking it and calling Pizza Hut!

      TucsonBill

      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 17, 2013
        Okra is frequently used for flavor and thickening gumbo here in Louisiana .  I have heard of frying okra to seal the pores to prevent the slim or battering then frying and eating the nuggets like popcorn or hush puppies.  Cooking okra in a crock pot would bring out the undesired texture in okra just because of the length of time it is cooked.
        I dont care for battered and fried okra but I will try them when available. My favorite way to eat okra would be stewed on tomatoes or an okra gumbo. Looking back, okra gumbo, to me, compares to cornbread and milk for dinner.  It's what poor folks would eat but us kids didn't know we were poor and just thought it was great food!

        Randy Hebert
        www.LeChienCookers.com

      • Ken
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 17, 2013
          Yea! As long as it is fried, or stewed with tomatoes, or added to gumbo. This idea of boiling it or pickling it does not work for me.

          Ken

          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "beeman" <amendment2@...> wrote:

          > And you know we men South of the Mason Dixon line love our okra!
          >
          > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Randy Hebert <RandyHebert@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I must have lived a sheltered and until I read the email below, I had never heard of boiled Okra and I have eaten my share of okra too!
          > >
          > > http://www.cookinglouisiana.com/Cooking/Recipes/Vegetables/Boiled-Okra.htm
          > >
          > > Randy Hebert
          > > www.LeChienCookers.com

        • Cormeny
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 17, 2013
            I'm originally from Arkansas and I love okra any way I can get it. I don't think you can use frozen cut okra in any boiled recipe without a slimy mess. It should be fried/sautéed. If you cut below the cap and into the pod of fresh okra before boiling it will be a slimy mess. The seed area of the pod releases a gelatinous substance when boiled so you want that pod to be intact. Just cut right below the stem and leave most of the cap on before boiling until soft and tender. Most folks just season it with salt and pepper. The best way to eat it whole if you're finicky is let it slide down the back of your throat like oysters-on-the-half-shell. You need to pick okra while its pods are fairly small (I usually use pods 3" or smaller) and still flexible. You can use longer pods (but still flexible) for cutting and frying okra. When okra pods are on the stalk too long they get hard. You have to check your plants every day because the pods mature quickly. If they are an heirloom variety you can dry the pods and use the seeds for next year.

            Linda in Iowa

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 17, 2013
              We like to chop up some bacon and fry it, then remove from skillet. Add sliced okra (plain, not battered or floured), sliced jalapenos and some garlic salt or Tony's Creole seasoning. When it's slightly browned and about done, throw the bacon pieces back in to re-heat them. It's the best. I think it's the bacon oil that makes it taste so good. Ronda

              --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Randy Hebert <RandyHebert@...> wrote:

              > Okra is frequently used for flavor and thickening gumbo here in Louisiana .  I have heard of frying okra to seal the pores to prevent the slim or battering then frying and eating the nuggets like popcorn or hush puppies.  Cooking okra in a crock pot would bring out the undesired texture in okra just because of the length of time it is cooked.
              > I dont care for battered and fried okra but I will try them when available. My favorite way to eat okra would be stewed on tomatoes or an okra gumbo. Looking back, okra gumbo, to me, compares to cornbread and milk for dinner.  It's what poor folks would eat but us kids didn't know we were poor and just thought it was great food!
              >
              > Randy Hebert
              > www.LeChienCookers.com

            • B B Palmer
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 18, 2013
                A lot of Southerners put a few whole pods of okra in their fresh peas, and some even cook a few pods in with their collard greens. An old maan used to say "it's good if you like it"

              • beeman
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 18, 2013
                  Pickled Okra is really good snack food to me. My granny used to do that and I loved it.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 18, 2013
                    Doug's mom used to put a few jalapenos and some red pepper in her okra when she pickled & canned it. THAT was good! I sure miss her. Ronda