Re: Temperature regulation

  • Splatterdab
    Message 1 of 7 , May 11, 2013
      Well, partially agree. If we are relying on our senses then our sense of smell needs to be combined with our sense of sight. Don't forget to gauge doneness with aroma. Remember the old saying, if you can't smell it, it's not done, if you can smell it it's probably done or very close, if it smells burnt, it is.

      Randy "Splatterdab" Brown
      Where the cowboy coffee is always hot.
      http://www.splatterdab.com/vfbp

      Message 2 of 7 , May 12, 2013
        Disagree.

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 7 , May 12, 2013
          disagree

          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Mark & Barbara Wilkins <barb7513@...> wrote:

          > Disagree.
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Ken
          Message 4 of 7 , May 12, 2013
            I do not believe this will be a simple 'Yes' or 'No' answer. It would depend on the type of food being cooked.

            Ken

            --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "kelly83686" <kelly83686@...> wrote:

            > I came across a tidbit of information regarding clues to help regulate dutch oven temperature and I wanted to see if this checks out with your experience.
            >
            > The tidbit is this: If you see steam escaping from around the lid, then the oven is too hot. (And we are presuming a lid that fits.)
            >
            > Agree? Disagree?
            >
            > Kelly

          • Jim Benenson
            Message 5 of 7 , May 15, 2013
              Too hot for what and what's cooking? If you are making a stew (wet)
              then over time some moisture will escape even if it's just simmering.
              If you're baking biscuits (dry) at a hot temperature (400?) for ten
              minutes then no moisture will escape. Your rule may apply in some
              circumstances but it's by no means universal.