Temperature regulation

  • kelly83686
    Message 1 of 7 , May 10 10:16 AM
      I came across a tidbit of information regarding clues to help regulate dutch oven temperature and I wanted to see if this checks out with your experience.

      The tidbit is this: If you see steam escaping from around the lid, then the oven is too hot. (And we are presuming a lid that fits.)

      Agree? Disagree?

      Kelly
    • Omar
      Message 2 of 7 , May 10 1:41 PM
        Sounds correct,, unless you are delibertly releasing stream to vent the pot.....

      • Splatterdab
        Message 3 of 7 , May 11 7:47 AM
          Well, partially agree. If we are relying on our senses then our sense of smell needs to be combined with our sense of sight. Don't forget to gauge doneness with aroma. Remember the old saying, if you can't smell it, it's not done, if you can smell it it's probably done or very close, if it smells burnt, it is.

          Randy "Splatterdab" Brown
          Where the cowboy coffee is always hot.
          http://www.splatterdab.com/vfbp

          Message 4 of 7 , May 12 6:56 AM
            Disagree.

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 7 , May 12 11:53 AM
              disagree

              --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Mark & Barbara Wilkins <barb7513@...> wrote:

              > Disagree.
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Ken
              Message 6 of 7 , May 12 9:57 PM
                I do not believe this will be a simple 'Yes' or 'No' answer. It would depend on the type of food being cooked.

                Ken

                --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "kelly83686" <kelly83686@...> wrote:

                > I came across a tidbit of information regarding clues to help regulate dutch oven temperature and I wanted to see if this checks out with your experience.
                >
                > The tidbit is this: If you see steam escaping from around the lid, then the oven is too hot. (And we are presuming a lid that fits.)
                >
                > Agree? Disagree?
                >
                > Kelly

              • Jim Benenson
                Message 7 of 7 , May 15 5:21 AM
                  Too hot for what and what's cooking? If you are making a stew (wet)
                  then over time some moisture will escape even if it's just simmering.
                  If you're baking biscuits (dry) at a hot temperature (400?) for ten
                  minutes then no moisture will escape. Your rule may apply in some
                  circumstances but it's by no means universal.