Re: [dutchovencooking] A question for the black pot gurus

  • judyrowlee
    Message 1 of 10 , May 7, 2013
      My daughter loves a very simple no knead bread recipe found on YouTube from
      Mark Bittman. Here is the link:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13Ah9ES2yTU

      It's just 3 cups flour, 1/4 tsp yeast, 1 1/4 tsp salt and 1 1/2 c water.
      Mix, cover and let sit 12-18 hours.

      It is so simple and I have enjoyed making it in my kitchen DO for several
      years now. It calls for 2/3 the time cooking at very high heat with the
      lid on, then finishing off with lid off. This makes for a moist bread with
      a hard crust. My favorite oven is a Griswold 6. Makes a nice tall loaf.
      Larger ovens let the loaf spread out more.

      When I have done it in a camping DO, I just remove the bottom heat for the
      "uncovered" time at the end. I have done it in several different ovens,
      and really do need to find a 10 " Deep. My best loaf last weekend was done
      in an aluminum 6.5x9 inch WOODY! The crust is not quite as hard as the
      loaves made at home, and I actually like it better...EVERYTHING Is better
      at camp!

      Judy

      On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 5:41 PM, tucsonbill@... <bill@...>wrote:

      > I am attempting to convert a kitchen recipe to a camp dutch oven recipe.
      > The original recipe said to place the ingredients in a casserole pan,
      > cover with foil and cook for x minutes, uncover and cook for another period
      > of time.
      >
      > The question involves the uncovered part. I am interpreting that as
      > remove bottom heat and cook with top heat only. Is this correct?
      >
      > TucsonBill

    • Jim Benenson
      Message 2 of 10 , May 8, 2013
        I make this type of bread about once a week. Since the original recipe
        calls for baking in a conventional oven it is impossible to remove the
        bottom heat source. The purpose of removing the DO lid for the last 1/3
        of the time is to give a firm crust. When I bake outdoors I leave the
        bottom coals alone and simply remove the lid. The finished bread doesn't
        last long so I must be doing something right. 8^)

      • Bob Zukowski
        Message 3 of 10 , May 8, 2013
          I have used (2) bamboo skewers when making pizza. It worked very well allowing some moisture to escape. There is a photo in my photo file named "Bob Zukowski". I watched the recent bread baking video and thought about using the skewers for the last portion of the cooking time. I think its worth a try.