Re: Recipe help

  • Iceman Bozeman
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 23, 2013
      Kelly, yes the small size of the stew meat allows it to cook as fast as potatoes and it typically remains as solid as meatballs. So no loss in texture if good stew beef is used. Lots of other great suggestions coming in. Great group we have here.

      --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "kelly83686" <kelly83686@...> wrote:

      > Would the stew meat cook/bake with the carrots and potatoes? I was thinking of a more "solid" and less "stewy" kind of meal.
      >
      > I am intrigued with the idea of the stew meat instead of meatballs.
      >
      > Kelly
      >
      > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Iceman Bozeman" <jabozeman@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Just another opinion. Young cooks are impressionable. Why not use stew beef instead of processed meatballs? Just as easy and it does not give the impression that processed meat is best, or easy, or healthy. I might add garlic and pepper and skip the BBQ processed sauce.
      > >
      > > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "kelly83686" <kelly83686@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I've been "thought cooking" to come up with something for the Scouts. Criteria is that it's easy to prepare, easy to cook, and tastes good. Came up with this in my head and wanted some "professional" feedback on if you think it would work. It's a meatballs, potatoes and carrots concoction. What would you think about:
      > > >
      > > > can of chicken or beef broth (for moisture)
      > > > bag of baby carrots or peeled and diced carrots
      > > > bunch of baby potatoes or several cubed potatoes
      > > > about 30 precooked meatballs (Italian Beef style from Costco)
      > > > maybe a little BBQ sauce
      > > >
      > > > Cook around 350-375 for 45 minutes to an hour (until carrots and potatoes are done)
      > > >
      > > > Kind of a poor man's pot roast. I haven't cooked many sides like potatoes and carrots so I'm looking for some advice. I think the potatoes and carrots are the key. Since the meatballs are precooked it's just a matter of getting them up to heat.
      > > >
      > > > What do ya' think?
      > > >
      > > > Kelly

    • Mike
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 24, 2013
        Kelly,
        Are you doing this at a meeting? At a campout? On the trail? That can define the ingredients.
        Mike in NY
      • kelly83686
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 24, 2013
          To answer your question it would be in camp. Not on the trail because of weight issues. So coolers would be available.