Re: [dutchovencooking] Appropriate Age for DO classes? Dish Suggestions?

  • judyrowlee
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 22, 2013
      AND bring extra hair rubber bands, as all long hair needs to be tied back.

      On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 2:04 PM, Melissa Kennedy
      <mislilmis@...>wrote:

      > Excellent suggestion with the closed toe shoes!
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Chris Stahl
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 22, 2013
        Safety first always. My favorite first timer dish monkey bread... buttery, sugary, cinnamon, just use the frozen yeast rolls to get the fresh bread vapors.

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Apr 22, 2013, at 2:33 PM, Melissa Kennedy <mislilmis@...> wrote:

        > My church's youth group is asking anyone who is so inclined to share (anything fun and wholesome) with our youth group that are ages 6th -12th grade.
        >
        > I was thinking I could do a DO workshop, but not sure if the younger children are age appropriate.
        >
        > Anyone have any advice, warnings, or other information I might want to consider?
        >
        > Perhaps I should start with DO safety first- then begin heating the coals?
        >
        > Summer Activities theme is "Beach Bash" so any suggestions on dishes that might be within the theme would also be appreciated!

      • Mike
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 24, 2013
          I've taught 2 classes to my grand daughter's Girl Scout Daisy Troop. Kindergarten girls. 5 or 6 year olds. Normal warnings.

          Mike in NY
        • Melissa Kennedy
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 24, 2013
            good to know. thanks everyone!

            ________________________________
            I've taught 2 classes to my grand daughter's Girl Scout Daisy Troop. Kindergarten girls. 5 or 6 year olds. Normal warnings.

            Mike in NY

          • Dwayne Lejeune
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 24, 2013
              Well I dont make them, but I don't turn them Away, I'm already showing my Grand kids the art of cooking!  I posted 3-6 grandkids already stirring the pot!  ages 3 to 9.  My 5 year girl always has to help her Nana at our monthly "DOGS"   I posted some pic's  in Dwayne & Steph floder.

              Dwayne ~n~ Stephanie
              2011 Chevy 3500 HD 6.6 Duramax
              2012 Voltage V-3950
              http://www.LeChienCookers.com/
              " Waiting On Someday"

              ________________________________
              I've taught 2 classes to my grand daughter's Girl Scout Daisy Troop. Kindergarten girls. 5 or 6 year olds. Normal warnings.

              Mike in NY

            • tgcrom2000
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 25, 2013
                We've done a lot of classes for Young ones. We did mini pizzas with English muffins and let them add all the toppings. Had the older ones cook them. We also let them cut holes in refrigerator biscuits and made doughnuts. Adults worked with the oil and the kids took bags of powdered sugar and cinnamon sugar and shook it on them inside the bags. Good classes I thought!
                Good Luck!
                Ted
              • Mike
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 25, 2013
                  Mini pizzas on english muffins on the inverted DO lid.

                  Banana slit open (keep skin on) core out a bit of banana, fill with nuts, minimarshmellows, m&ms, etc - wrap in foil, label with name and bake a bunch of them in the covered DO - coals top & bottom.

                  Quesadillas - the Daisy Troop loved them.

                  Mike in NY