Recipe help

  • kelly83686
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 21, 2013
      I've been "thought cooking" to come up with something for the Scouts. Criteria is that it's easy to prepare, easy to cook, and tastes good. Came up with this in my head and wanted some "professional" feedback on if you think it would work. It's a meatballs, potatoes and carrots concoction. What would you think about:

      can of chicken or beef broth (for moisture)
      bag of baby carrots or peeled and diced carrots
      bunch of baby potatoes or several cubed potatoes
      about 30 precooked meatballs (Italian Beef style from Costco)
      maybe a little BBQ sauce

      Cook around 350-375 for 45 minutes to an hour (until carrots and potatoes are done)

      Kind of a poor man's pot roast. I haven't cooked many sides like potatoes and carrots so I'm looking for some advice. I think the potatoes and carrots are the key. Since the meatballs are precooked it's just a matter of getting them up to heat.

      What do ya' think?

      Kelly
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 22, 2013
        This one will not have any leftovers...

        Chicken Wings, aka- Finger Lickers

        Ingredients
        8-10 pounds chicken wings (no tips)
        1/8 Cup Olive oil (optional)
        1 18 ounce bottle Sweet Baby Ray's (SBR) hickory and brown sugar
        1 18 ounce bottle Honey Chipotle SBR
        1 18 ounce bottle Sweet n Spicy SBR
        1/4 cup W Sauce
        1/4 cup Soy Sauce
        1 cup Honey

        Directions
        1. Place thawed chicken wings in Dutch oven with olive oil. Load pot
        with bottom heat to start cooking. The chicken made a very large amount of
        fluid/broth. Add broth or water as needed for moisture for cooking but I
        didn't need any AT ALL!
        2. Cook chicken to around 120 degrees F internal temperature stirring
        as required to prevent sticking.
        3. Remove chicken from DO and drain off fluid. (Can reserve for
        stock)(see note below)
        4. Mix remaining ingredients in DO and return to heat till sauce is
        heated. Can add additional seasonings at this point but mine didn't need
        anything.
        5. Return chicken to pot and add two rings of hot coals on top and a
        crowded layer of well lit coals on bottom.
        6. Cook chicken with high heat till almost done stirring frequently.
        Chicken wings will take on a shiny glimmer. Remove from bottom heat and
        reduce top heat to one ring. Simmer wings, stirring frequently till tender
        and meat starts falling off bone. Remove all heat and let stand for sauce to
        thicken.

        NOTE- Last time I did this recipe I removed wings to a bowl (step 3) and
        reduced the fluid till I heard a frying sound. Water was boiled off leaving
        chicken broth flavoring in pot. Why throw away great flavor right?

        Randy Bear

        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 22, 2013
          Just another opinion. Young cooks are impressionable. Why not use stew beef instead of processed meatballs? Just as easy and it does not give the impression that processed meat is best, or easy, or healthy. I might add garlic and pepper and skip the BBQ processed sauce.

          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "kelly83686" <kelly83686@...> wrote:

          > I've been "thought cooking" to come up with something for the Scouts. Criteria is that it's easy to prepare, easy to cook, and tastes good. Came up with this in my head and wanted some "professional" feedback on if you think it would work. It's a meatballs, potatoes and carrots concoction. What would you think about:
          >
          > can of chicken or beef broth (for moisture)
          > bag of baby carrots or peeled and diced carrots
          > bunch of baby potatoes or several cubed potatoes
          > about 30 precooked meatballs (Italian Beef style from Costco)
          > maybe a little BBQ sauce
          >
          > Cook around 350-375 for 45 minutes to an hour (until carrots and potatoes are done)
          >
          > Kind of a poor man's pot roast. I haven't cooked many sides like potatoes and carrots so I'm looking for some advice. I think the potatoes and carrots are the key. Since the meatballs are precooked it's just a matter of getting them up to heat.
          >
          > What do ya' think?
          >
          > Kelly

        • Ken
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 22, 2013
            Go way back to message 21762 and find a one pot chicken dish. Somewhere in the posts is also a recipe for wagon wheel chicken and rice. Search for the 'pigs in a cornfield' variations posted here.

            Look at the '40 mile stew' variations.

            There are lots of different ideas here.

            Ken

            --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "kelly83686" <kelly83686@...> wrote:

            > I've been "thought cooking" to come up with something for the Scouts. Criteria is that it's easy to prepare, easy to cook, and tastes good. Came up with this in my head and wanted some "professional" feedback on if you think it would work. It's a meatballs, potatoes and carrots concoction. What would you think about:
            >
            > can of chicken or beef broth (for moisture)
            > bag of baby carrots or peeled and diced carrots
            > bunch of baby potatoes or several cubed potatoes
            > about 30 precooked meatballs (Italian Beef style from Costco)
            > maybe a little BBQ sauce
            >
            > Cook around 350-375 for 45 minutes to an hour (until carrots and potatoes are done)
            >
            > Kind of a poor man's pot roast. I haven't cooked many sides like potatoes and carrots so I'm looking for some advice. I think the potatoes and carrots are the key. Since the meatballs are precooked it's just a matter of getting them up to heat.
            >
            > What do ya' think?
            >
            > Kelly

          • Melissa Kennedy
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 22, 2013
              I am snagging this!

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 22, 2013
                I have done something similar but used cubed chicken breast, beef stew meat, kielbasi,
                frozen corn, potatoes mixed vegetables, beef broth garlic and onions.

                I sometimes do a meatball, pearl onion, peas, garlic in a red sauce. (Plus a shot or two of Franks Red Hot Sauce)

                Served over tri color pasta. (I make my own by adding food coloring to each batch of pasta then mix before serving. If using store bought pasta you can add food coloring to the water.)

                Ken
                The Other Ken

                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 22, 2013
                  I agree with the stew beef. I think I'd use tomato sauce instead of barbeque sauce.
                  Lori

                  --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Iceman Bozeman" <jabozeman@...> wrote:

                  > Just another opinion. Young cooks are impressionable. Why not use stew beef instead of processed meatballs? Just as easy and it does not give the impression that processed meat is best, or easy, or healthy. I might add garlic and pepper and skip the BBQ processed sauce.
                  >
                  > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "kelly83686" <kelly83686@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I've been "thought cooking" to come up with something for the Scouts. Criteria is that it's easy to prepare, easy to cook, and tastes good. Came up with this in my head and wanted some "professional" feedback on if you think it would work. It's a meatballs, potatoes and carrots concoction. What would you think about:
                  > >
                  > > can of chicken or beef broth (for moisture)
                  > > bag of baby carrots or peeled and diced carrots
                  > > bunch of baby potatoes or several cubed potatoes
                  > > about 30 precooked meatballs (Italian Beef style from Costco)
                  > > maybe a little BBQ sauce
                  > >
                  > > Cook around 350-375 for 45 minutes to an hour (until carrots and potatoes are done)
                  > >
                  > > Kind of a poor man's pot roast. I haven't cooked many sides like potatoes and carrots so I'm looking for some advice. I think the potatoes and carrots are the key. Since the meatballs are precooked it's just a matter of getting them up to heat.
                  > >
                  > > What do ya' think?
                  > >
                  > > Kelly

                • kelly83686
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 22, 2013
                    Would the stew meat cook/bake with the carrots and potatoes? I was thinking of a more "solid" and less "stewy" kind of meal.

                    I am intrigued with the idea of the stew meat instead of meatballs.

                    Kelly

                    --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Iceman Bozeman" <jabozeman@...> wrote:

                    > Just another opinion. Young cooks are impressionable. Why not use stew beef instead of processed meatballs? Just as easy and it does not give the impression that processed meat is best, or easy, or healthy. I might add garlic and pepper and skip the BBQ processed sauce.
                    >
                    > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "kelly83686" <kelly83686@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I've been "thought cooking" to come up with something for the Scouts. Criteria is that it's easy to prepare, easy to cook, and tastes good. Came up with this in my head and wanted some "professional" feedback on if you think it would work. It's a meatballs, potatoes and carrots concoction. What would you think about:
                    > >
                    > > can of chicken or beef broth (for moisture)
                    > > bag of baby carrots or peeled and diced carrots
                    > > bunch of baby potatoes or several cubed potatoes
                    > > about 30 precooked meatballs (Italian Beef style from Costco)
                    > > maybe a little BBQ sauce
                    > >
                    > > Cook around 350-375 for 45 minutes to an hour (until carrots and potatoes are done)
                    > >
                    > > Kind of a poor man's pot roast. I haven't cooked many sides like potatoes and carrots so I'm looking for some advice. I think the potatoes and carrots are the key. Since the meatballs are precooked it's just a matter of getting them up to heat.
                    > >
                    > > What do ya' think?
                    > >
                    > > Kelly

                  • Iceman Bozeman
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 23, 2013
                      Kelly, yes the small size of the stew meat allows it to cook as fast as potatoes and it typically remains as solid as meatballs. So no loss in texture if good stew beef is used. Lots of other great suggestions coming in. Great group we have here.

                      --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "kelly83686" <kelly83686@...> wrote:

                      > Would the stew meat cook/bake with the carrots and potatoes? I was thinking of a more "solid" and less "stewy" kind of meal.
                      >
                      > I am intrigued with the idea of the stew meat instead of meatballs.
                      >
                      > Kelly
                      >
                      > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Iceman Bozeman" <jabozeman@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Just another opinion. Young cooks are impressionable. Why not use stew beef instead of processed meatballs? Just as easy and it does not give the impression that processed meat is best, or easy, or healthy. I might add garlic and pepper and skip the BBQ processed sauce.
                      > >
                      > > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "kelly83686" <kelly83686@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > I've been "thought cooking" to come up with something for the Scouts. Criteria is that it's easy to prepare, easy to cook, and tastes good. Came up with this in my head and wanted some "professional" feedback on if you think it would work. It's a meatballs, potatoes and carrots concoction. What would you think about:
                      > > >
                      > > > can of chicken or beef broth (for moisture)
                      > > > bag of baby carrots or peeled and diced carrots
                      > > > bunch of baby potatoes or several cubed potatoes
                      > > > about 30 precooked meatballs (Italian Beef style from Costco)
                      > > > maybe a little BBQ sauce
                      > > >
                      > > > Cook around 350-375 for 45 minutes to an hour (until carrots and potatoes are done)
                      > > >
                      > > > Kind of a poor man's pot roast. I haven't cooked many sides like potatoes and carrots so I'm looking for some advice. I think the potatoes and carrots are the key. Since the meatballs are precooked it's just a matter of getting them up to heat.
                      > > >
                      > > > What do ya' think?
                      > > >
                      > > > Kelly

                    • Mike
                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 24, 2013
                        Kelly,
                        Are you doing this at a meeting? At a campout? On the trail? That can define the ingredients.
                        Mike in NY
                      • kelly83686
                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 24, 2013
                          To answer your question it would be in camp. Not on the trail because of weight issues. So coolers would be available.