Re: Carrying Box for DO

  • stevenwlovett
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 17, 2013
      I built boxes out of 3/8" plywood for my DO's. I found the box needs to be about 2" bigger than the oven, so my 8" oven fits in a 10" box. I put blocks in the corners for stability and to place a piece of plywood for the lid to ride on. I cut a slot for the handle of the lid and it goes in upside down. I tried to build a fake bottom for the legs to go into, but it got heavier than I wanted.

      I uploaded pictures in a folder called Dutch Oven Boxes so you can see what I did. My intent is to strap these down in either the travel trailer or the cargo trailer for road trips. While the bags like Ronda uses are lighter, stacking pots was a problem. They were always falling over!

      Take a look at the pictures and you'll see my design.
      Steve

      --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Benjamin Ray <bfrtech@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      > I have seen several plans for a Carrying Box for Dutch Ovens. I have mine in the original box but the box is starting to wear thin. Does anyone have a plan for a wooden DO box?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > bfrtech
      > Fredericksburg, VA
      >
      > Novice DO cooker.

    • Greg Jacobs
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 17, 2013
        I also use the Cabela's bags, they are better than the Lodge! In addition I put my ovens in boxes.For the bottom of the inside, why not trace the feet and use a forstner bit to make holes, half way down, for the legs. The ovens are a bit more stable tha way!
        Greg Jacobs
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 20, 2013
          Super smart thinking! I need one!