Re: Carrying Box for DO

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 17, 2013
      Randy - regarding vent holes, handles, etc. Doug cut wide oval holes in side of boxes to use for lifting. No handle sticking out, and allows for air flow. I'll see if I can find a picture. Ronda

      --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Hebert" <RandyHebert@...> wrote:

      > Hey Benjamin,

      I am still deliberating over cutting vent holes for air flow when boxes are
      > latched and I figure I can build them solid to see how they work first. I
      > own a plunge router so making vent holes later will be real easy. Recessed
      > bail handle assemblies are available at most of the hardware stores here to
      > maximize my storage space and allow stacking the boxes without all the
      > wobble from a protruding handle.
      > Randy Bear

    • stevenwlovett
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 17, 2013
        I built boxes out of 3/8" plywood for my DO's. I found the box needs to be about 2" bigger than the oven, so my 8" oven fits in a 10" box. I put blocks in the corners for stability and to place a piece of plywood for the lid to ride on. I cut a slot for the handle of the lid and it goes in upside down. I tried to build a fake bottom for the legs to go into, but it got heavier than I wanted.

        I uploaded pictures in a folder called Dutch Oven Boxes so you can see what I did. My intent is to strap these down in either the travel trailer or the cargo trailer for road trips. While the bags like Ronda uses are lighter, stacking pots was a problem. They were always falling over!

        Take a look at the pictures and you'll see my design.
        Steve

        --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Benjamin Ray <bfrtech@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        > I have seen several plans for a Carrying Box for Dutch Ovens. I have mine in the original box but the box is starting to wear thin. Does anyone have a plan for a wooden DO box?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > bfrtech
        > Fredericksburg, VA
        >
        > Novice DO cooker.

      • Greg Jacobs
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 17, 2013
          I also use the Cabela's bags, they are better than the Lodge! In addition I put my ovens in boxes.For the bottom of the inside, why not trace the feet and use a forstner bit to make holes, half way down, for the legs. The ovens are a bit more stable tha way!
          Greg Jacobs
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 20, 2013
            Super smart thinking! I need one!