Re: How many of you cook over campfires?

  • Biscuit T. Sims
    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 6, 2013
      Randy, I was going to mention that , but can't spell Mesquite. My spell checker was asleep.

      GOD BLESS YOU !

      The Happy Dutch Oven Cook

      Biscuit T. Sims

    • Kevin
      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 12, 2013
        --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "rlb_51" <rlb_51@...> wrote:

        > I know everyone uses charcoal for cooking a lot of things, just curious as to how many actually cook over a wood fire? A recent post reminded me that there are a few things we almost always cook over a campfire with a tripod, and and one of those is beans. Ham and beans, and it can be pinto beans, red beans, navy beans, whatever, are best cooked over an open fire. I don't know why, but they are! We've cooked beans that way for several years now and never had a bad batch. We use a deep 12" no name oven, always have. And they always turn out good. We never have any problems with gray or purple beans as some folks mention.
        > Some other things we like to cook over the campfire, with a tripod, are jambalaya, gumbo and chili. There's just something special about cooking over a fire that we like. Ya know what I mean? I wish I could get more proficient at baking with real campfire coals. Ronda

        Hello I am Kevin from Montana, I love cooking over a open fire with tripod and dutch oven,I stack a London broil steak on top of a corned beef brisket,be sure to use a meat trivet and cook low and slow,a good rub works well with the meat!!Check every 30 min add a little water at first,Give it a try!!
      • vanhorn_pam
        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 13, 2013
          Cooking over an open fire is the only way I do it. I just love this way of cooking. I use a hook system to lower and raise my dutch ovens, so I get the correct heat. I cook everything this way. Breads, desserts, meats, casseroles, soups etc. Have I had disasters?
          Sure, but I have had those on my stove also. I just learn from my mistakes. I started watching Johnny Nix on tv several years ago and he made it look fun and easy. I thought I would give it a try and now, it is not only a hobby but a passion. I love making a great meal for my friends and family while everyone sits around the fire talking.

          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "rlb_51" <rlb_51@...> wrote:

          > I know everyone uses charcoal for cooking a lot of things, just curious as to how many actually cook over a wood fire? A recent post reminded me that there are a few things we almost always cook over a campfire with a tripod, and and one of those is beans. Ham and beans, and it can be pinto beans, red beans, navy beans, whatever, are best cooked over an open fire. I don't know why, but they are! We've cooked beans that way for several years now and never had a bad batch. We use a deep 12" no name oven, always have. And they always turn out good. We never have any problems with gray or purple beans as some folks mention.
          > Some other things we like to cook over the campfire, with a tripod, are jambalaya, gumbo and chili. There's just something special about cooking over a fire that we like. Ya know what I mean? I wish I could get more proficient at baking with real campfire coals. Ronda

        • John
          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 14, 2013
            I cook over the fire as much as I can. We have a big fire ring and a hook system. Works great, is a lot of fun, and no cheanup of charcoal.
            John

            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 14, 2013
              Have you posted any pictures of your fire ring and hook system? I'd love to see them! The previous poster also referred to a hook system. I'd like to hear more about that! Ronda