- As to the possibility of lead being in the cast iron - any cast iron, its's so unlikely as to probably be impossible. Iron has a melting point around 2000 degrees - yes, two thousand degrees Fahrenheit. Lead, on the other hand, melts around 622 degrees Fahrenheit. I think lead would vaporize out of iron before the iron melted enough to pour into a mold.
We can be sure there is no lead or mercury in the cast iron we cook with, unless it's introduced into the pores after casting, so don't use your Dad's or Grandpa's old lead ladle for cooking. My Dad used to melt lead in a cast iron ladle to pour into his bullet molds. I've heard opinions about impurities in cast iron pots from overseas, but it's just loose talk and conjecture - very unlikely, and implausible.
Rich in KS
Sent from my ASUS Pad