Re: [dutchovencooking] Re: Cooking

  • Gary Wilkins
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 31, 2013
      I had to bail on Mark at the last minute or maybe the rolls would have been baked in the DO. But what would you cook in a DO? Smoked pork butts? Pinto beans? (which would have come out grayish to purple) Or maybe cole slaw? Way to go Mark. I'm proud of you.
      Uncle Gary

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 1, 2013
        We cooked about 100 chicken breasts in DO in addition. I was setting everything up and getting the smokers going at 4am, and we starting serving at 1:30pm. Finished loading up about 6pm and went home exhausted, but feeling good about the days events. Raised nearly $7K for our friend, so very grateful for everyones support. I still got some stuff to clean......., but I gotta say, the pork butt we brought home afterwards made for some GREAT pork tacos today !!

        Mark

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 1, 2013
          I did get a chance about 7:30am of the kitchen area where it was all taking place, but sadly, when it came time to start serving I was up to my eyeballs and didnt get any more pics. I'll post it in the files.

          Mark

          >Well, I cooked 400 lbs of Pork Butts, 35 lbs of Pinto Beans, made 60
          >lbs of cole slaw, and sorry, served store bought rolls, yesterday
          >for a fundraiser for a friend of mine going through esophageal
          >cancer. What are the rest of you cooking this weekend ?

          Wow! You didn't happen to get a snap shot of all this going on did
          you? It sounds like a lot of cooking going on....

          I made 'Buffalo wing deviled eggs" this morning <g>....

          Rob
          mailto:vwrobb%40gmail.com

          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 1, 2013
            No. 1, he said he "cooked" 400 lbs. of pork butt, he didn't say smoked.
            No. 2, I cook beans in cast iron all the time and they don't come out gray or purple.
            I was honestly wondering how he managed all that and how many ovens he used. I figured he was short of help or the rolls would have been homemade. Mark does a lot of big cooking things, how was I to know he didn't pull off another one. Sorry Gary. Ronda

            --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Gary Wilkins <ggwilkins@...> wrote:

            > I had to bail on Mark at the last minute or maybe the rolls would have been baked in the DO. But what would you cook in a DO? Smoked pork butts? Pinto beans? (which would have come out grayish to purple) Or maybe cole slaw? Way to go Mark. I'm proud of you.
            > Uncle Gary
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Dutch Oven Diva
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 1, 2013
              I did turkey under the trash can...then went onto the dutch oven with a beet/goat cheese tart, garlic/cheese bread rolls, sweet potato souffle, and roasted spring vegetables. Neighbors did the ham and asparagus inside (cheaters).

              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 1, 2013
                Yes, smoked 400+ lbs of pork butts using a Camp Chef Smoker Vault, a Brinkman smoker, and a friends trailer mounted 3 bay smoker.
                We have done beans in cast iron before, and depending on the patina/seasoning, can result in gray color. Had a great potjkie that was solely used for beans & was great. However, we used 2 of Camp Chefs 42 quart aluminum stock pots to do our beans on their new wider 3 burner Explorer stove -- very nice ! Used a 16 inch Camp Chef Dutch oven in between those 2 pots to fry up our 15 lbs of bacon that would go into the beans, along with diced green chilies, diced onions, etc.
                And yes, I did consider making rolls from scratch in 14-inch Dutch ovens, but was talked out of it due to plan was to feed 700+ folks and Gary pulling out. Was already running on less than 3 hours sleep, so probably was a good call.

                Mark

                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 1, 2013
                  Well in any case, you made an amzaing contribution to their needs and I know it was greatly appreciated. That's the main thing! Ronda

                  --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Mark & Barbara Wilkins <barb7513@...> wrote:

                  > Yes, smoked 400+ lbs of pork butts using a Camp Chef Smoker Vault, a Brinkman smoker, and a friends trailer mounted 3 bay smoker.
                  > We have done beans in cast iron before, and depending on the patina/seasoning, can result in gray color. Had a great potjkie that was solely used for beans & was great. However, we used 2 of Camp Chefs 42 quart aluminum stock pots to do our beans on their new wider 3 burner Explorer stove -- very nice ! Used a 16 inch Camp Chef Dutch oven in between those 2 pots to fry up our 15 lbs of bacon that would go into the beans, along with diced green chilies, diced onions, etc.
                  > And yes, I did consider making rolls from scratch in 14-inch Dutch ovens, but was talked out of it due to plan was to feed 700+ folks and Gary pulling out. Was already running on less than 3 hours sleep, so probably was a good call.
                  >
                  > Mark

                • Ridn'
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 5, 2013
                    The Lodge Site has a wonderful website and lots of recipes. The pictures are fabulous! The recipes seem to be easy to follow too. Recipes up the wahzoo on "cooking dutch oven" on most every camping site! Getting the pre packaged Broth will really enhance the recipe too. Just be sure to read labels. There are products out there that have none or minimal fillers, corn syrup, salt, etc.
                    Well Randy you better get ready, with big spoons coming to taste test the makings from that BIG POT people will be bringing Big Bowls too. :)). Ridn' edi. Tx.