Re: Has anyone tried this?

  • Lori
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 25, 2013
      Great idea Randy! BTW, I never thought about hazardous wastes. I think I'm going to start with putting the pot in the oven on a self-cleaning cycle. I'll be very interested to know how eVaporust works as I know this pot needs more than one trip through a self-cleaning cycle. I'll see which is cheaper, 4-5 bottles of Coke or the eVaporust, and use the cheaper of the two.
      Lori

      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 25, 2013
        I could probably find an answer myself but what exactly is hazardous about
        putting 1/2 cup of arm and hammer washing detergent in 5 gallons of water
        while soaking Cast Iron and mild steel with a 12VDC charge?

        Randy Bear
        (Who likes using Electrolysis for cleaning Cast Iron and lives in a place
        where property Rights are still respected)

        Hey Lori. First, although electrolysis works, I'd stay away from it only
        because of the hazardous waste that you would have to contend with.

        Try the coke solution but there is also a non-toxic, biodegradable and
        reusable product called eVaporust. I found it at Tractor Supply and I saw
        it at Harbor Freight. I've tried it once on some frying pans that were
        lightly rusted. I'll try it again on a pot that is in worse shape once I
        find one. I'll post the results. You will have to completely reseason the
        iron of course.

      • Ken
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 25, 2013
          Nothing hazardous about it. It don't look real nice as it bubbles and the scum forms on the top, but it is bio-degradable.

          It is just what people like or don't like.

          I looked on the web site for the prices on Evapo-Rust. It runs about $50 a gallon. I can buy a lot of Washing Soda for the price of a gallon of Evapo=Rust.

          Ken

          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Hebert" <RandyHebert@...> wrote:

          > I could probably find an answer myself but what exactly is hazardous about
          > putting 1/2 cup of arm and hammer washing detergent in 5 gallons of water
          > while soaking Cast Iron and mild steel with a 12VDC charge?
          >
          > Randy Bear
          > (Who likes using Electrolysis for cleaning Cast Iron and lives in a place
          > where property Rights are still respected)

        • Ken
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 25, 2013
            What Hazardous Waste?

            Everything there is biodegradable.

            Ken

            --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Randy Brown <splatterdab@...> wrote:

            > Hey Lori. First, although electrolysis works, I'd stay away from it only
            > because of the hazardous waste that you would have to contend with.
            >
            > Try the coke solution but there is also a non-toxic, biodegradable and
            > reusable product called eVaporust. I found it at Tractor Supply and I saw
            > it at Harbor Freight. I've tried it once on some frying pans that were
            > lightly rusted. I'll try it again on a pot that is in worse shape once I
            > find one. I'll post the results. You will have to completely reseason the
            > iron of course.

          • Bob Zukowski
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 25, 2013
              No great mystery here. Cola has a pH of about 2.8, so it will react with iron. Vinegar is similar with a pH of 2.4-3.0.

              --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Lori" <bakequery@...> wrote:

              > I saw this on the Camp Chef website:
              >
              > Have a Rusty Oven?
              >
              > Though there are many methods for cleaning rusty ovens, the one that we have found to be the easiest to use is a can of Cola. If the inside is rusty, pour the Cola in and let it do its job. Depending on how rusty the oven is will depend on how long you will need to leave the Cola on the rusty spot. If you have an issue with the outside of an oven, use a sponge to apply the Cola, or place the cast iron in a large bowl or bucket with enough Cola to dissolve the rust (some rotating may be necessary). After rust is removed be sure to wash and re-season you cast iron.
              >
              > Our daughter left her 10" DO out in the elements for quite some time. It's rusty and pitted. Before I go the electrolysis route I'm thinking about figuring out how much Cola it would take to fill this oven and then fill 'er up. It seems like it would be cheaper than buying a battery charger.
              >
              > Lori

            • beeman
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 26, 2013
                The only hazardous waste I am aware of from the electrolysis method is generation of a smallish amount of hydrogen gas in the bubbles. In concentrated amounts this can be flammable. There is no problem of flammability if the electrolysis is done outside. The liquid you do the electrolysis in is sodium carbonate. Not a toxic substance. Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate, commonly cooked and cleaned with.

                --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Ken" <savage99_250@...> wrote:

                > What Hazardous Waste?
                >
                > Everything there is biodegradable.
                >
                > Ken
                >

                > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Randy Brown <splatterdab@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hey Lori. First, although electrolysis works, I'd stay away from it only
                > > because of the hazardous waste that you would have to contend with.
                > >
                > > Try the coke solution but there is also a non-toxic, biodegradable and
                > > reusable product called eVaporust. I found it at Tractor Supply and I saw
                > > it at Harbor Freight. I've tried it once on some frying pans that were
                > > lightly rusted. I'll try it again on a pot that is in worse shape once I
                > > find one. I'll post the results. You will have to completely reseason the
                > > iron of course.

              • Wally Dennis
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 26, 2013
                  I have tried the oven method. Vinager water and alfalfa coke and have used the BBQ to heat and burn the gunk off.  I prefer the electrolysis.  I will find out if its totoxic or not I emptied the Plastic tub I use last night on my lawn
                  I think the water will help the fertilizer I put down last week,  The iron oxide will help the lawn turn green, the hydogen gas should be disipated by now.
                  Just my 2 cts, worth.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 1, 2013
                    Depends on how often you will be using it. The coke is good for only one shot, whereas, the electrolysis method can be used over & over. I had a guy stop by our fundraiser Saturday morning asking the best way to clean a rusty pot; told him about the elecrolysis and he went home to do it. Came back in the afternoon and expressed his gratitude -- that it had worked perfectly and saved him a lot of grief using a drill & wire wheel. He was so tickled !

                    Mark

                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 1, 2013
                      Here is something you may want to read about Coke for cleaning Cast Iron...
                      http://www.ehow.com/how_5050044_clean-cast-iron-coke.html

                      Then this one references to what's REALLY going on with Coke...
                      http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/phosphoric-acid-rust-removal-210082/
                      So is it removing the rust or converting it to something else??? You decide.

                      I will stick to my Electrolysis because I know it works, I know how easy it works and its easiest method for me... I don't like to apply much elbow grease these days.
                      I have plenty of resources for mechanically spot cleaning cast iron. There are plenty of air tools and wire brushes around here to make quick work of rust removal but I choose electrolysis over mechanical almost always. Grinding, blasting and using harsh corrosives can dramatically change the surface tension of the metal creating issues for properly accruing a good patina. My exposure to metallurgy dealing with aircraft as a Level II NDT inspector has had a lot of influence in my judgment.

                      My biggest problem is having a place to set up my 50 gallon tank under a roof. I use a rubber water container liked built for holding feed but they don’t make a lid for it.

                      Im glad Camp Chef likes the phosphoric acid process. But I think it has its limits and I want to remove rust not convert Iron Oxide (rust) to Iron Phosphate.

                      Here is a blurp from another website to connect the dots for you!
                      When iron phosphate is applied to a metal surface, it actually etches [takes away metal] the surface slightly. A very small amount of metal is removed from the surface and then re-deposited in an irregular fashion. Since the surface characteristics are varied in this way after phosphate is applied, there is more surface area [pitting] for paint [or carbonized oils] to adhere to. However, this etching also has the side effect of permanently removing [go back two words- "Permanently Removing"] some of the metal, since not all of it is re-deposited.
                      Reference- http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-iron-phosphate.htm

                      Now the question is would you use phosphoric acid it to clean your great grandmothers coveted 12" Spider you had to arm wrestle away from your sibling???

                      Randy Hebert

                      More references:

                      Here's my biggest influence for electrolysis- Machined Car Parts!
                      http://antique-engines.com/electrol.asp

                      Electrolysis is also used in the cleaning and preservation of old artifacts. Because the process separates the non-metallic particles from the metallic ones, it is very useful for cleaning old coins and even larger objects.
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolysis

                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 1, 2013
                        Randy, thank you very much. That thread had a wealth of information. I'm going to stick to my original plan:

                        1) Run pot through self-cleaning oven cycle. Wasn't able to do that this past Friday.

                        2) Mount a cone shaped steel brush on my cordless drill and spend some time brushing it.

                        3) Put the pot through electrolysis. I am sold on that idea. You've convinced me that all the other ideas are not really as good a solution.

                        Lori