Re: [dutchovencooking] What was your very first dutch oven dish you prepaired?

  • mvaemt
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 20, 2013
      This was not my first dish but the first dish I made on a camp out with my scout troop during a heavy rain.

      The boys kept the fire going real hot due to the chill from the rain. Made for lots of hot coals.

      I thought I would try to make a stew from what ever I could find in the coolers we had. (This was
      Plan B) The boys planned to make Mac and Cheese for dinner.

      I dumped into a 14 Deep, a large Polish Kielbasa cut into coin sized pieces, 4 chicken breasts
      cut into cubes, 2 lbs of bacon (sort of crumbled), one package of breakfast sausage cut into
      pieces, one bag of potatoes cut into pieces, one bag of onions sliced and sort of diced, one head of garlic
      (flattened pieces), a small bag of carrots cut into 1/2 inch pieces, a few stalks of celery diced and a hand full
      of beef bullion cubes.Covered it with water and placed the DO on a bed of hot coals and dumped a shovel full
      of hot coals on top of the DO. About 15 to 20 minutes later we could smell it cooking checked and mixed it up.
      Re covered and cooked about 20 minutes more. Tasted great, the 20 scouts and 4 leaders with me finished it.

      The scouts learned that it was easier to make and clean up what I made rather than clean up from the burned mac and cheese
      in each of there mess kits.

      The scouts named this stew "PLAN B"

      Ken
      The Other Ken

    • Sami
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 20, 2013
        My first dish I made in my first Lodge 12" deep dutch oven I bought was in 1994 when I took my family camping was Pork chop and I forget to season it and we left it with some left over in it out side and was chili that night next day was little rusty, read my story on my web at www.dutchovengear.com .
        Sami

        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 1, 2013
          So, you do 60 in a 12-inch ?

          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 1, 2013
            Here is the list I received when I asked, this a quote

            >>Do Gary Smith's Dutch Oven Biscuit Thing.
            40 biscuits in a 10"
            60 biscuits in a 12"
            80 biscuits in a 14"
            120 biscuits in a 16' <<

            Those cheap tube biscuits, stacked on end in a
            big swirl, fills the pot. Good good good!

            Rob
            vwrobb@...