Re: Starting Coals with a Chimney

    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 16 1:02 PM
      First of all, we like the Weber charcoal chimney that has the cone shaped bottom, rather than the flat bottom. Seems it exposes more of the coals to the flame. Secondly, we start ours by setting it on the propane camp stove or just the propane burner. Once the bottom coals are burning pretty well, we move the chimney off the burner, shake / bounce it a little bit to redistribute the coals, then set back on the burner. We NEVER use lighter fluid to start the coals!! Ronda

      --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "kelly83686" <kelly83686@...> wrote:

      > Any of you have any secrets for starting coals in a chimney? I have been putting in 12-15 coals, spraying on some lighter fluid, add another 12-15, more fluid, then the final 12-15 and more fluid. Newspaper underneath and light it. Seems to work good (get cookable coals in 15 minutes) but I find it's hard to start more than about 40 coals. Just wondering how you all do it.
      >
      > Kelly

    • Sami Dahdal
      Message 2 of 29 , Mar 17 3:15 PM
        Yes I agreed the chimny lighter is the best no fluid at all , little news
        paper underneeth or the yellow book paper works fine that is what I use and
        I have 2 small and 2 large.
        Sami

        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 17 5:24 PM
          We arent grilling.......we're cooking inside the dutch oven, so the food does not take on any petroleum taste or odor

          Message 4 of 29 , Mar 17 5:31 PM
            Enjoy your lighter fluid. It stinks and tastes lousy. Paper is better. Simply no petro taste.

            Sent from my iPhone

            Message 5 of 29 , Mar 17 6:37 PM
              It still stinks. Ronda

              Message 6 of 29 , Mar 17 6:41 PM
                I agree, it stinks, some people get headaches from the smell. Maybe it imparts flavor to stuff cooked in the DO or maybe it doesn't. It danged sure DOES put an off flavor to things you grill. Thing is, lighter fluid isn't necessary. We don't use paper either, because we have a lot of wind in Kansas and are often dry. Don't need the paper flying around. But just set that chimney on that turkey fryer burner and start those coals. Ronda

                --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Tom <tpstauffer@...> wrote:

                > Enjoy your lighter fluid. It stinks and tastes lousy. Paper is better. Simply no petro taste.
                >
                > Sent from my iPhone
                >
                > On Mar 17, 2013, at 8:24 PM, Mark & Barbara Wilkins <barb7513@...> wrote:
                >
                > > We arent grilling.......we're cooking inside the dutch oven, so the food does not take on any petroleum taste or odor

              • Tom
                Message 7 of 29 , Mar 17 7:15 PM
                  Or use the Volcano II to help keep sparks intact. If you have such a serious fire danger, you can use the Volcano II with propane.

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  Message 8 of 29 , Mar 17 7:23 PM
                    Not as serious here as Texas or AZ, and propane just ain't as much fun to cook own. I like the charcoal! Ronda

                    --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Tom <tpstauffer@...> wrote:

                    > Or use the Volcano II to help keep sparks intact. If you have such a serious fire danger, you can use the Volcano II with propane.
                    >
                    > Sent from my iPhone
                    >
                    > On Mar 17, 2013, at 9:41 PM, "rlb_51" <rlb_51@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > I agree, it stinks, some people get headaches from the smell. Maybe it imparts flavor to stuff cooked in the DO or maybe it doesn't. It danged sure DOES put an off flavor to things you grill. Thing is, lighter fluid isn't necessary. We don't use paper either, because we have a lot of wind in Kansas and are often dry. Don't need the paper flying around. But just set that chimney on that turkey fryer burner and start those coals. Ronda
                    > >
                    > > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Tom <tpstauffer@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Enjoy your lighter fluid. It stinks and tastes lousy. Paper is better. Simply no petro taste.
                    > > >
                    > > > Sent from my iPhone

                  • ct_castauffs
                    Message 9 of 29 , Mar 17 9:00 PM
                      I do not use propane....but, if I need to use it, I can with the Volcano II. I use charcoal all the time. Much more fun.

                      Not as serious here as Texas or AZ, and propane just ain't as much fun to cook own. I like the charcoal! Ronda

                      --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Tom <tpstauffer@...> wrote:

                      > Or use the Volcano II to help keep sparks intact. If you have such a serious fire danger, you can use the Volcano II with propane.
                      >
                      > Sent from my iPhone
                      >
                      > On Mar 17, 2013, at 9:41 PM, "rlb_51" <rlb_51@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > I agree, it stinks, some people get headaches from the smell. Maybe it imparts flavor to stuff cooked in the DO or maybe it doesn't. It danged sure DOES put an off flavor to things you grill. Thing is, lighter fluid isn't necessary. We don't use paper either, because we have a lot of wind in Kansas and are often dry. Don't need the paper flying around. But just set that chimney on that turkey fryer burner and start those coals. Ronda
                      > >
                      > > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Tom <tpstauffer@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Enjoy your lighter fluid. It stinks and tastes lousy. Paper is better. Simply no petro taste.
                      > > >
                      > > > Sent from my iPhone

                    • Tina Melendez
                      Message 10 of 29 , Mar 17 9:02 PM
                        With our Girl Scouts, we don't use paper either because of the fire danger, and we aren't allowed to use lighter fluid. We usually use our homemade fire starters. Personally I use dryer lint in the cardboard egg carton, covered in wax, some use sawdust rather than lint. One of my co-leaders swears by candle kisses- pieces of taper candles wrapped in wax paper. On occasion I've even used a cotton ball dipped in Vaseline .
                        Never failed me yet!

                        Tina

                        Not as serious here as Texas or AZ, and propane just ain't as much fun to cook own. I like the charcoal! Ronda

                        --- In dutchovencooking @ yahoogroups .com , Tom < tpstauffer @...> wrote:

                        > Or use the Volcano II to help keep sparks intact. If you have such a serious fire danger, you can use the Volcano II with propane.
                        >
                        > Sent from my iPhone
                        >
                        > On Mar 17, 2013, at 9:41 PM, " rlb _51" < rlb _51@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > I agree, it stinks, some people get headaches from the smell. Maybe it imparts flavor to stuff cooked in the DO or maybe it doesn't. It danged sure DOES put an off flavor to things you grill. Thing is, lighter fluid isn't necessary. We don't use paper either, because we have a lot of wind in Kansas and are often dry. Don't need the paper flying around. But just set that chimney on that turkey fryer burner and start those coals. Ronda
                        > >
                        > > --- In dutchovencooking @ yahoogroups .com , Tom < tpstauffer @> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Enjoy your lighter fluid. It stinks and tastes lousy. Paper is better. Simply no petro taste.
                        > > >
                        > > > Sent from my iPhone

                      • Greg Jacobs
                        Message 11 of 29 , Mar 17 9:29 PM
                          wood chips and wax is a good idea, I've used that a few times.I don't like burning paper, there are two burn holes in a jacket of mine caused by someone using burning paper on a windy day, I was down wind!
                          Greg Jacobs
                          Message 12 of 29 , Mar 17 10:02 PM
                            I have used paper, don't care for it...
                            I have used Coals with a couple tablespoons of lighter fluid, it ok
                            I have used Propane, tends to over lit if you are not paying attention
                            I have used Homemade Starters Lent in Paper Egg Cartons with Wax, ok I guess
                            I have recently used commercial fire starters, white stuff, like a lot!
                            I have seen Sterno used, it works if you are not in a hurry
                            I have used Lighter fluid on coals in bottom of starter then filled it up, it works too
                            I have used pretreated coals and they seem to work well
                            I have not used paper-n-oil, sounds like a good idea if you forgot your boy scout water
                            I have even dumped a bunch on the table and used boy scout water, it works great too
                            I own a grass torch but haven't need that much coal at one time to break it out.
                            Cotton Balls with Vaseline sounds interesting. May have to give that one a try!

                            We have had this discussion before but let me review, the biggest problem isn't getting the coals lit its over lighting them! When using a Chimney Starter, by whatever means, they are ready to cook with when the exhaust gas is clear, that means no more smoke is coming from the top of the Chimney. Despite what your eyes are telling you, the black coals on top will be lit before they turn gray because there isn't enough oxygen reaching the top of the pile to make them turn gray. Don't believe me??? Light off a chimney full and watch closely for the smoke to clear. Dump the coals on your DO Cooking table and watch the black coals you didn't think were lit to start turning gray.
                            TOLD YA!

                            Randy Bear

                            Message 13 of 29 , Mar 17 10:54 PM
                              Then dont stand in the smoke, duh...................ROFL
                              You know I have to give you some grief occasionally

                              Mark

                              > We arent grilling.......we're cooking inside the dutch oven, so the food does not take on any petroleum taste or odor

                            • eagle9252
                              Message 14 of 29 , Mar 18 2:46 AM
                                Whole purposes of chimney is to speed up the lighting and to not use
                                lighter fluid. I just sit it over a eye on the camp stove and in 5 min. Its
                                done