Re: event for a local county weekend day gathering??????

  • Ken
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 10, 2013
      The first thing to do would probably be to check on your local county's regulations and codes to see what is and is not permitted. Lots of discussions here about what different areas require, and if you are starting out it is better to be safe in this area.

      Also check local conditions for fire regulations.

      Depending on the time of the event, I would suggest cooking deserts. Cobblers and dump cakes are easy and take about an hour to cook. Someone may want to cook a stew or casserole for the cookers to eat.

      Also, I am not sure about the thought of charging. Is this permitted with scouts? If you have to do something, I would suggest a donation jar instead.

      This sounds like a good way to begin and you have plenty of time to get ready for it.

      Ken

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 11, 2013
        Are asking about a cook off or a demonstration?

        If it is a cook off, the contestants pay an entry fee and the rule of thumb is that samples are passed out free after judging. No Charge.

        There is a Scouts Cookbook with recipes that came from BOY SCOUT cook off. You may want to find this book and contact some of the ones in the book about BS Cook Offs.

        Biscuit
      • merpoff@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 11, 2013
          I have been planning a cook off and DOG for the past four years that takes
          place during our town's street festival. I worked with our local BSA troop.
          Where would your cook off be? Mine this year is Sept 14th. If you are near
          me, maybe we could help each other. And have them back to back or something.
          My DOCO is in Sharpsburg, MD. All welcome to enter or.spectate. Camping is
          available. And the town festival is within walking distance. This year's
          DOCO is dedicated to my late father and father in law. Both were Eagle
          Scouts. I work with local Girl Scouts as well. Mainly because I'm a GS
          leader. :) email me at merpoff@... if you would like help or to enter
          the contest etc.

          Sent from my Motorola Smartphone on the Now Network from Sprint!

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 11, 2013
            We are in Ga and as for health and fire codes that's a given. I posed this
            as for scouts and then it was changed as an event for the county. For the
            scouts it would be free as it would be like potluck but the county you
            would plenty of on lookers so plenty of samples. Yes a donation jar for
            sure if no charge. If no fee charged then they can get service hours
            credit.

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 11, 2013
              Good luck! My event is for our county too. But not near Georgia! Lol. We
              have entry fees and entry fee to campground/location because we have live
              music. Have fun!

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 12, 2013
                Actually, the contestants pay the entry fee most times as a "committment fee" so they have a vested interest in showing up. Without it, it becomes too easy to say your coming, then change your mind last minute and decide not to come. Frustrating the organizer. In many cases, that fee is returned to the contestants at the end of the contest, and DEFINITELY if you are requiring they hand out their food. Its a pretty hard sell to say "hey, spend your money to enter, spend your money to buy all the food, and then give it away free to everyone with no return at all". That is a quick turn-off for most contestants and your efforts will fail.

                Mark