event for a local county weekend day gathering??????

  • eagle9252
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 10, 2013
      I had a thought that our local county's Boy Scout troops do a dutch
      oven cook off weekend sort of a way to get a local DOG started.
      I called our local BSA Rep to discuss this and was told that they were just
      asked by our county if we wanted to put on some sorta event for a local
      county weekend day gathering for about 3 - 5 hours in September.

      So, could anyone that has done this tell me what you have done? I know some
      foods would be cheaper and easier to do than others but did your county
      allow you to charge or did they want you to GIVE sample or did they give
      you XXX amount of money to use?

    • Ken
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 10, 2013
        The first thing to do would probably be to check on your local county's regulations and codes to see what is and is not permitted. Lots of discussions here about what different areas require, and if you are starting out it is better to be safe in this area.

        Also check local conditions for fire regulations.

        Depending on the time of the event, I would suggest cooking deserts. Cobblers and dump cakes are easy and take about an hour to cook. Someone may want to cook a stew or casserole for the cookers to eat.

        Also, I am not sure about the thought of charging. Is this permitted with scouts? If you have to do something, I would suggest a donation jar instead.

        This sounds like a good way to begin and you have plenty of time to get ready for it.

        Ken

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 11, 2013
          Are asking about a cook off or a demonstration?

          If it is a cook off, the contestants pay an entry fee and the rule of thumb is that samples are passed out free after judging. No Charge.

          There is a Scouts Cookbook with recipes that came from BOY SCOUT cook off. You may want to find this book and contact some of the ones in the book about BS Cook Offs.

          Biscuit
        • merpoff@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 11, 2013
            I have been planning a cook off and DOG for the past four years that takes
            place during our town's street festival. I worked with our local BSA troop.
            Where would your cook off be? Mine this year is Sept 14th. If you are near
            me, maybe we could help each other. And have them back to back or something.
            My DOCO is in Sharpsburg, MD. All welcome to enter or.spectate. Camping is
            available. And the town festival is within walking distance. This year's
            DOCO is dedicated to my late father and father in law. Both were Eagle
            Scouts. I work with local Girl Scouts as well. Mainly because I'm a GS
            leader. :) email me at merpoff@... if you would like help or to enter
            the contest etc.

            Sent from my Motorola Smartphone on the Now Network from Sprint!

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 11, 2013
              We are in Ga and as for health and fire codes that's a given. I posed this
              as for scouts and then it was changed as an event for the county. For the
              scouts it would be free as it would be like potluck but the county you
              would plenty of on lookers so plenty of samples. Yes a donation jar for
              sure if no charge. If no fee charged then they can get service hours
              credit.

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 11, 2013
                Good luck! My event is for our county too. But not near Georgia! Lol. We
                have entry fees and entry fee to campground/location because we have live
                music. Have fun!

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 12, 2013
                  Actually, the contestants pay the entry fee most times as a "committment fee" so they have a vested interest in showing up. Without it, it becomes too easy to say your coming, then change your mind last minute and decide not to come. Frustrating the organizer. In many cases, that fee is returned to the contestants at the end of the contest, and DEFINITELY if you are requiring they hand out their food. Its a pretty hard sell to say "hey, spend your money to enter, spend your money to buy all the food, and then give it away free to everyone with no return at all". That is a quick turn-off for most contestants and your efforts will fail.

                  Mark