Rack of Lamb

    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 7, 2013
      Anyone got a recipe for this dish?
    • Lori
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 7, 2013
        Does it have to be in rack form? I have a great recipe for a feta-cheese-and-spinach rolled leg of lamb.
        Lori

      • Kathleen
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 7, 2013
          no but I do know that it should be about med rare and rosemarry goes very well with it. Look forward to seeing a recipe for it.

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 7, 2013
            Classic Rack of Lamb Recipe
            * Prep time: 1 hour
            * Cook time: 15 minutes
            The cooking time depends on how big your rack of lamb is, and how rare you want it cooked. Rack of lamb should be cooked rare, or at most medium rare. The instructions are for a rack 1 1/2 to 2 pounds big. If you have a smaller roast (I've seen packages of just a pound), reduce the cooking time from 7 minutes to 5 minutes on 400, and use the lower end of the cooking time given at 300. If you are cooking multiple racks (unless you are doing a crown roast which is a different matter), lay them out separately on the pan, and estimate a roasting time based on just one rack, not the weight of the combined. Of course, use a meat thermometer! This is too lovely and tender a roast to risk overcooking.
            Ingredients
            * 1 or more Frenched* lamb rib racks with 7 to 8 ribs each (1 1/2 to 2 pounds for each rack, figure each rack feeds 2-3 people)
            For each rib rack:
            * 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
            * 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
            * 2 cloves garlic, minced
            * Salt
            * Pepper
            * 2 Tbsp olive oil
            *Typically you will buy a rack of lamb already "Frenched", or cut so that the rib bones are exposed. You can also ask your butcher to french them for you. For directions on how to French them yourself, see How to French a Rack of Lamb.
            Method
            1 Rub rib rack(s) all over with mixture of rosemary, thyme, and garlic. Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper. Place in a thick plastic bag with olive oil. Spread oil around so that it coats the lamb rack(s) all over. Squeeze out as much air as you can from the bag and seal. Place in a container so that if the bag leaks, the container catches the leak. If you want, place in the refrigerator overnight. Or, if you are not marinating overnight, let lamb rack(s) sit in the rub marinade as it comes to room temperature before cooking.
            2 Remove lamb rack from refrigerator to 1-2 hours before you cook it so that it comes to room temp. (If the meat is not at room temperature it will be hard for it to cook evenly.)
            3 Preheat oven to 400°F, arrange the oven rack so that the lamb will be in the middle of the oven. Score the fat, by making sharp shallow cuts through the fat, spaced about an inch apart. Sprinkle the rack all over with salt and pepper. Place the lamb rack bone side down (fat side up) on the pan. Wrap the exposed ribs in a little foil so that they don't burn.
            4 Roast at 400°F for 7 minutes, then lower the heat to 300°F. Cook for 7-15 minutes longer (depending on the size of the lamb rack, or one of the lamb racks if you are cooking more than one), until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the meat 125°F on a for rare or 135°F for medium rare. Remove from oven, cover with foil and let rest for 5-10 minutes.
            Cut lamb chops away from the rack by slicing between the bones. Serve 2-3 chops per person.

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 7, 2013
              Ingredients

              3 - tbs. all purpose flour

              ½ - tsp. dry mustard

              1 -- tsp. salt

              ½ - tsp black pepper

              1 - 10 ½ oz. can consommé

              1 -- 10 ½ oz. can cream of mushroom soup

              1 -- tbs. Worcestershire sauce

              1 -- tbs. Kitchen Bouquet

              ¼ - tsp. garlic powder

              ½ - tsp. curry powder

              ½ - cup white wine

              5 -- med. potatoes (optional -- baste lamb while cooking if not used)
              Directions
              Place flour, dry mustard, salt & pepper in large paper bag.
              Place 1-2 cuts of lamb into bag & shake to coat.
              Braze leg of lamb in hot oil, browning fat side last.
              Add remaining ingredients and cook 1-hr. using 1 ring of briquettes under the oven and two rings of briquettes on top of lid.
              Baste meat if potatoes not used.
              Reduce heat using 6 briquettes under the oven and 8 briquettes on top of lid.
              Cook 4-6 hrs.
              Barbequed Rack of Lamb Ribs
              Dry season rack of ribs
              Soak hickory chunks in water for one hr.
              Place briquettes in barbeque or smoker.
              Place rack of ribs on grill fat side down.
              Add hickory chunks on top of briquettes.
              Cook 2-4 hours at low heat.
              Glaze rack of ribs with roasted raspberry chipolte sauce during last 10-15 minutes of cooking.

              Read more at http://www.ifood.tv/recipe/dutch-oven-leg-of-lamb-bbq-rack-of-lamb-ribs#oLrM3qFM4fFxJrlz.99

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 7, 2013
                Yes. Let the rack get room temperature if you can. Rub with kosher salt,
                pepper, garlic, mint and rosemary. Bring your Dutch oven to 500 degrees. Add
                the rack. Remove some coals so that it comes down to 350. Cook 20 minutes
                per pound of meat for medium rare. You may want to add oil to the bottom of
                the oven just to protect from sticking.

                Sent from my Motorola Smartphone on the Now Network from Sprint!

                --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "mississippi_biscuit" <n5hbb@...>

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 9, 2013
                  Thanks Mark!

                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 9, 2013
                    Who made the Rack of Lamb at the 2012 National DOG Cook Off?

                    I would love to see that recipe.

                    Question? Is it ok to eat lamb cold? Or should it stay at the cooking temp when serving?
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 10, 2013
                      Do you need to use a trivet or rack in the bottom of oven?
                    • merpoff@yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 11, 2013
                        Yes. I would use a trivet.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 12, 2013
                          Not unless you want to use a trivet. Also, sometimes you can use a "natural" trivet, such as we sometimes do for example is when we do a beef roast. We'll lay sliced onions in the bottom to place the roast on; we do a pork tenderloin on pineapple rings; etc. Other times we just place it right in the bottom without any trivet.

                          Mark

                          Do you need to use a trivet or rack in the bottom of oven?