Re: Mark Wilkins Pigs in a Cornfeild.

    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 22 8:50 PM
      Well I was gonna say we do "chicken in the cornfield" and "cows in the cornfield" but didn't take the time. We draw the line at dog though. Ronda who is mostly in the office doing taxes

      --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Mark & Barbara Wilkins <barb7513@...> wrote:

      > If there is no pig in it, then its not Pigs in the Cornfield..................
      >
      > Beef in the Pasture
      >
      > Chicks in the Hen House
      >
      > Ronda in the Dog House !!

    • Bob Zukowski
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 23 11:00 AM
        Every time I do a search on this recipe it is always associated with a Mr. Mark Wilkins! I guess it must be good! Cant wait to get some decent sweet corn here in Michigan, then I will give it a go. Hey Mark, what is you favorite version of this landmark recipe?

        --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "John" <dutchovencook99@...> wrote:

        > I found this old recipe on making it. Anyone know how many pork chops are needed. Wishbone-Ks

      • Barb7513
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 25 12:22 PM
          Using Campbell's Southwest Pepper Jack soup.

          Mark

          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 25 12:26 PM
            Bambi in the Cornfield

            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 25 12:29 PM
              Yea, Gary gets dillusional sometimes due to his aging.........
              Just don't ask him to pass the mustard......

              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 25 1:40 PM
                A bit sadistic but I LIKE IT! I won 2nd place in our Wild Game Cook-Off
                this past Saturday. I cooked a couple pots of Deer in the Corn Field and I
                had some left over veggies (that's what I use for center of pigs, uuuh
                Deer). As I was about to wrap things up, a visitor showed up with some
                really nice homemade smoked deer sausage. I cut it up in 1" lengths and
                tossed it in a pot with the left over veggies. I asked someone what we
                should call it and she said "I don't know but it is going to be delicious!)
                THAT's IT! Deerlicious! So when the judging came around, It was
                Deerlicious taking 2nd place behind Don Richards seafood Paella. Third was
                a chicken and deer sausage jambalaya. The runner up was (sorry about your
                long lost cousin Bait) Squirrel Jambalaya! He did do the family name proud
                and he didn't go down without a fight! LOL!

                Randy Bear

                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 26 2:46 AM
                  The last cookoff we participated in at New Years here in AZ, the Maricopa County Health inspector told participants that they needed to have receipt to show that ingredients were purchased that same day, as well as all products were commercially produced -- no home processed meats, no home grown vegetables, etc. They tested temperatures of coolers; checked to make sure no meats were placed in coolers over the top of other ingredients; ice chests needed to be maintained off the ground by minimum 6-inches (I believe that was the measurement). Most health depts that I'm aware of have those same requirements, except this was the 1st time I had heard of the requirement to have a reciept for proof. Oh, also they required that the participants provide their OWN test strips for checking bleach levels of the rinse water in their wash stations. At the chuckwagon cookoff in Ruidoso, NM the inspector required a receipt for the bleach to show it was purchased within 30 days of the cookoff as well. They are getting tougher & tougher to keep them from shutting a cookoff / participants down. I understand in Texas they are really hard -- making it near impossible to comply with health regulations and hold a DOG.

                  --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Hebert" <RandyHebert@...> wrote:

                  > A bit sadistic but I LIKE IT! I won 2nd place in our Wild Game Cook-Off
                  > this past Saturday. I cooked a couple pots of Deer in the Corn Field and I
                  > had some left over veggies (that's what I use for center of pigs, uuuh
                  > Deer). As I was about to wrap things up, a visitor showed up with some
                  > really nice homemade smoked deer sausage. I cut it up in 1" lengths and
                  > tossed it in a pot with the left over veggies. I asked someone what we
                  > should call it and she said "I don't know but it is going to be delicious!)
                  > THAT's IT! Deerlicious! So when the judging came around, It was
                  > Deerlicious taking 2nd place behind Don Richards seafood Paella. Third was
                  > a chicken and deer sausage jambalaya. The runner up was (sorry about your
                  > long lost cousin Bait) Squirrel Jambalaya! He did do the family name proud
                  > and he didn't go down without a fight! LOL!
                  >
                  > Randy Bear

                • Bob Zukowski
                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 26 9:44 AM
                    I never realized the human body was so susceptible to all of those nasty
                    bugs and germs.

                    I always thought the human body was very resilient to infections as long
                    as some common

                    sense was factored into the preparation of food. That's the problem!
                    "Common Sense"! We now

                    live in a world where "common sense" is not a requirement. We can pay
                    official people to take care of it

                    for us. Thank goodness for them! On the second thought I don't think I
                    have ever gotten sick at a Picnic,

                    Restaurant, BBQ, Fast Food, Hall Party, Moose Lodge, Reunion, Pool
                    Party, Graduation, Taco Stand,

                    or Lemon Aide Stand. I guess I better beware of those Dutch Oven
                    Gatherings! I bet that's where I'll catch something real bad! LOL!

                    Bob Zukowski

                    --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Barb7513" <barb7513@...>
                    wrote:

                    > The last cookoff we participated in at New Years here in AZ, the
                    Maricopa County Health inspector told participants that they needed to
                    have receipt to show that ingredients were purchased that same day, as
                    well as all products were commercially produced -- no home processed
                    meats, no home grown vegetables, etc. They tested temperatures of
                    coolers; checked to make sure no meats were placed in coolers over the
                    top of other ingredients; ice chests needed to be maintained off the
                    ground by minimum 6-inches (I believe that was the measurement). Most
                    health depts that I'm aware of have those same requirements, except this
                    was the 1st time I had heard of the requirement to have a reciept for
                    proof. Oh, also they required that the participants provide their OWN
                    test strips for checking bleach levels of the rinse water in their wash
                    stations. At the chuckwagon cookoff in Ruidoso, NM the inspector
                    required a receipt for the bleach to show it was purchased within 30
                    days of the cookoff as well. They are getting tougher & tougher to keep
                    them from shutting a cookoff / participants down. I understand in Texas
                    they are really hard -- making it near impossible to comply with health
                    regulations and hold a DOG.

                    > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Hebert" RandyHebert@
                    wrote:

                    > > A bit sadistic but I LIKE IT! I won 2nd place in our Wild Game
                    Cook-Off
                    > > this past Saturday. I cooked a couple pots of Deer in the Corn Field
                    and I
                    > > had some left over veggies (that's what I use for center of pigs,
                    uuuh
                    > > Deer). As I was about to wrap things up, a visitor showed up with
                    some
                    > > really nice homemade smoked deer sausage. I cut it up in 1" lengths
                    and
                    > > tossed it in a pot with the left over veggies. I asked someone what
                    we
                    > > should call it and she said "I don't know but it is going to be
                    delicious!)
                    > > THAT's IT! Deerlicious! So when the judging came around, It was
                    > > Deerlicious taking 2nd place behind Don Richards seafood Paella.
                    Third was
                    > > a chicken and deer sausage jambalaya. The runner up was (sorry about
                    your
                    > > long lost cousin Bait) Squirrel Jambalaya! He did do the family name
                    proud
                    > > and he didn't go down without a fight! LOL!
                    > >
                    > > Randy Bear

                  • omar alvarez
                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 26 10:09 AM
                      I just cooked in Texas in November ,  for a public affair over 4000 showed up to eat, the Health Dept was no where in sight.

                       Imagine what that would do the WCCO in Utah ......

                        Here in Idaho the Health Dept has never bothered us .........

                      Looks like I won't be cooking in Arizona any time soon..................

                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 26 11:33 AM
                        The Government to govern least governs best.  Texas legislation meets every other year.  During one session they tackle state laws. during the next session they tackle state budget.
                        Has to make you think why businesses are steady moving to texas.

                        Randy Hebert

                        www.LeChienCookers.com

                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 26 3:06 PM
                          The ANLS cookoff had been running fine for several years; then last year, one of the food vendors not part of the chuckwagons, was being inspected and got his panties in a wad when they cited him for an infraction. He snitched out the chuckwagon cookoff, asking "What about them guys?". Thats when they came over and tried to shut us down in the middle of cooking as we had no Health Dept permits. The promoters had to go buy permits, one for EACH wagon, at a cost of $100 each, plus had to submit to inspection. Ten wagons gets to be a chunk of change for that. Until then, it was kind of flying under the radar.

                          Mark

                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 26 3:11 PM
                            The Chandler Chuckwagon cookoff, when they applied for the permits, the county was requiring that we not only had a roof/tarp/canopy overhead, but a flooring as well, and get this: FOUR WALLS AROUND THE COOKING AREA! Yea, that's real smart.....build a fire with hardwood coals, and then enclose it with folks inside cooking, with an antique WOODEN wagon! They had to get the fire marshall to override them and point out the hazard of a fire in an enclosure, duh!

                          • Ken
                            Message 13 of 24 , Feb 26 8:17 PM
                              We were at the National DOG last fall and never saw a health official or any type of inspections, and we were on property which is owned by the City of Canton Texas.

                              In general, regulations for commercial cooking and catering are getting stricter in Texas. I accept that every state has their own regulations and concerns for food safety, and that federal regulations make it much more difficult for everyone.

                              However, in Texas, adverse drouth conditions over the last few years have shut down more DOGs than health regulation.

                              Ken