Re: [dutchovencooking] Mark Wilkins Pigs in a Cornfeild.

  • Wally Dennis
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 21, 2013
      If I remember correctly it calls for four chops.  If I'm cooking for 6 people I will put 6 in if for 2 I put 2 in.  Scale it to fit your needs.  I like to avoid left overs if I can.

      wally

      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 21, 2013
        It all depends on the capacity of the oven you are using, as to what will reasonably fit.

        Mark "Dutch" Wilkins

        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 21, 2013
          It's all "to taste" John, and a lot depends on how many you are feeding. Doug & I have made this in a 10" and a 12" and a 14" - just depends on how many guests we have! For us we usually just do 10" with 3 or 4 chops, depending on size. 12" gets more of everything, chops, corn, soup, etc. You can't mess this one up, really. Ronda

          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 21, 2013
            I have made Pigs in the Corn Field a couple times and I don't use pork chops
            at all. I use a Beef & Pork mix smoked sausage and fill the center with
            chopped potatoes, onions, mushrooms, celery and bell peppers. I guess if I
            was to use deer sausage I would call it Deer in the Cornfield! Grin.
            Mine gets rave reviews, as does most versions of this dish, and usually no
            leftovers!

            Randy Bear

            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 22, 2013
              And actually, this might be Gary Wilkins recipe. At least Gary says so! Ronda

              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 22, 2013
                We've made it with boneless chicken breast, and with beef minute steaks (cube steaks) also Randy. Ronda

                --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Hebert" <RandyHebert@...> wrote:

                > I have made Pigs in the Corn Field a couple times and I don't use pork chops
                > at all. I use a Beef & Pork mix smoked sausage and fill the center with
                > chopped potatoes, onions, mushrooms, celery and bell peppers. I guess if I
                > was to use deer sausage I would call it Deer in the Cornfield! Grin.
                > Mine gets rave reviews, as does most versions of this dish, and usually no
                > leftovers!
                >
                > Randy Bear

              • Mike
                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 22, 2013
                  Old dog Leon Perkins makes this recipe PERFECTLY! Or at least that's how I remember it. Of course that was sooooooooo long ago. Leon, ya gonna reprise it for the Fall Hamlin DOG?

                  Mike
                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 22, 2013
                    If there is no pig in it, then its not Pigs in the Cornfield..................

                    Beef in the Pasture

                    Chicks in the Hen House

                    Ronda in the Dog House !!

                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 22, 2013
                      Deer in the corn field???

                      Randy Hebert

                      www.LeChienCookers.com

                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 22, 2013
                        Well I was gonna say we do "chicken in the cornfield" and "cows in the cornfield" but didn't take the time. We draw the line at dog though. Ronda who is mostly in the office doing taxes

                        --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Mark & Barbara Wilkins <barb7513@...> wrote:

                        > If there is no pig in it, then its not Pigs in the Cornfield..................
                        >
                        > Beef in the Pasture
                        >
                        > Chicks in the Hen House
                        >
                        > Ronda in the Dog House !!

                      • Bob Zukowski
                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 23, 2013
                          Every time I do a search on this recipe it is always associated with a Mr. Mark Wilkins! I guess it must be good! Cant wait to get some decent sweet corn here in Michigan, then I will give it a go. Hey Mark, what is you favorite version of this landmark recipe?

                          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "John" <dutchovencook99@...> wrote:

                          > I found this old recipe on making it. Anyone know how many pork chops are needed. Wishbone-Ks

                        • Barb7513
                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 25, 2013
                            Using Campbell's Southwest Pepper Jack soup.

                            Mark

                            Message 13 of 24 , Feb 25, 2013
                              Bambi in the Cornfield

                              Message 14 of 24 , Feb 25, 2013
                                Yea, Gary gets dillusional sometimes due to his aging.........
                                Just don't ask him to pass the mustard......

                                Message 15 of 24 , Feb 25, 2013
                                  A bit sadistic but I LIKE IT! I won 2nd place in our Wild Game Cook-Off
                                  this past Saturday. I cooked a couple pots of Deer in the Corn Field and I
                                  had some left over veggies (that's what I use for center of pigs, uuuh
                                  Deer). As I was about to wrap things up, a visitor showed up with some
                                  really nice homemade smoked deer sausage. I cut it up in 1" lengths and
                                  tossed it in a pot with the left over veggies. I asked someone what we
                                  should call it and she said "I don't know but it is going to be delicious!)
                                  THAT's IT! Deerlicious! So when the judging came around, It was
                                  Deerlicious taking 2nd place behind Don Richards seafood Paella. Third was
                                  a chicken and deer sausage jambalaya. The runner up was (sorry about your
                                  long lost cousin Bait) Squirrel Jambalaya! He did do the family name proud
                                  and he didn't go down without a fight! LOL!

                                  Randy Bear

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Feb 26, 2013
                                    The last cookoff we participated in at New Years here in AZ, the Maricopa County Health inspector told participants that they needed to have receipt to show that ingredients were purchased that same day, as well as all products were commercially produced -- no home processed meats, no home grown vegetables, etc. They tested temperatures of coolers; checked to make sure no meats were placed in coolers over the top of other ingredients; ice chests needed to be maintained off the ground by minimum 6-inches (I believe that was the measurement). Most health depts that I'm aware of have those same requirements, except this was the 1st time I had heard of the requirement to have a reciept for proof. Oh, also they required that the participants provide their OWN test strips for checking bleach levels of the rinse water in their wash stations. At the chuckwagon cookoff in Ruidoso, NM the inspector required a receipt for the bleach to show it was purchased within 30 days of the cookoff as well. They are getting tougher & tougher to keep them from shutting a cookoff / participants down. I understand in Texas they are really hard -- making it near impossible to comply with health regulations and hold a DOG.

                                    --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Hebert" <RandyHebert@...> wrote:

                                    > A bit sadistic but I LIKE IT! I won 2nd place in our Wild Game Cook-Off
                                    > this past Saturday. I cooked a couple pots of Deer in the Corn Field and I
                                    > had some left over veggies (that's what I use for center of pigs, uuuh
                                    > Deer). As I was about to wrap things up, a visitor showed up with some
                                    > really nice homemade smoked deer sausage. I cut it up in 1" lengths and
                                    > tossed it in a pot with the left over veggies. I asked someone what we
                                    > should call it and she said "I don't know but it is going to be delicious!)
                                    > THAT's IT! Deerlicious! So when the judging came around, It was
                                    > Deerlicious taking 2nd place behind Don Richards seafood Paella. Third was
                                    > a chicken and deer sausage jambalaya. The runner up was (sorry about your
                                    > long lost cousin Bait) Squirrel Jambalaya! He did do the family name proud
                                    > and he didn't go down without a fight! LOL!
                                    >
                                    > Randy Bear

                                  • Bob Zukowski
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Feb 26, 2013
                                      I never realized the human body was so susceptible to all of those nasty
                                      bugs and germs.

                                      I always thought the human body was very resilient to infections as long
                                      as some common

                                      sense was factored into the preparation of food. That's the problem!
                                      "Common Sense"! We now

                                      live in a world where "common sense" is not a requirement. We can pay
                                      official people to take care of it

                                      for us. Thank goodness for them! On the second thought I don't think I
                                      have ever gotten sick at a Picnic,

                                      Restaurant, BBQ, Fast Food, Hall Party, Moose Lodge, Reunion, Pool
                                      Party, Graduation, Taco Stand,

                                      or Lemon Aide Stand. I guess I better beware of those Dutch Oven
                                      Gatherings! I bet that's where I'll catch something real bad! LOL!

                                      Bob Zukowski

                                      --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Barb7513" <barb7513@...>
                                      wrote:

                                      > The last cookoff we participated in at New Years here in AZ, the
                                      Maricopa County Health inspector told participants that they needed to
                                      have receipt to show that ingredients were purchased that same day, as
                                      well as all products were commercially produced -- no home processed
                                      meats, no home grown vegetables, etc. They tested temperatures of
                                      coolers; checked to make sure no meats were placed in coolers over the
                                      top of other ingredients; ice chests needed to be maintained off the
                                      ground by minimum 6-inches (I believe that was the measurement). Most
                                      health depts that I'm aware of have those same requirements, except this
                                      was the 1st time I had heard of the requirement to have a reciept for
                                      proof. Oh, also they required that the participants provide their OWN
                                      test strips for checking bleach levels of the rinse water in their wash
                                      stations. At the chuckwagon cookoff in Ruidoso, NM the inspector
                                      required a receipt for the bleach to show it was purchased within 30
                                      days of the cookoff as well. They are getting tougher & tougher to keep
                                      them from shutting a cookoff / participants down. I understand in Texas
                                      they are really hard -- making it near impossible to comply with health
                                      regulations and hold a DOG.

                                      > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Hebert" RandyHebert@
                                      wrote:

                                      > > A bit sadistic but I LIKE IT! I won 2nd place in our Wild Game
                                      Cook-Off
                                      > > this past Saturday. I cooked a couple pots of Deer in the Corn Field
                                      and I
                                      > > had some left over veggies (that's what I use for center of pigs,
                                      uuuh
                                      > > Deer). As I was about to wrap things up, a visitor showed up with
                                      some
                                      > > really nice homemade smoked deer sausage. I cut it up in 1" lengths
                                      and
                                      > > tossed it in a pot with the left over veggies. I asked someone what
                                      we
                                      > > should call it and she said "I don't know but it is going to be
                                      delicious!)
                                      > > THAT's IT! Deerlicious! So when the judging came around, It was
                                      > > Deerlicious taking 2nd place behind Don Richards seafood Paella.
                                      Third was
                                      > > a chicken and deer sausage jambalaya. The runner up was (sorry about
                                      your
                                      > > long lost cousin Bait) Squirrel Jambalaya! He did do the family name
                                      proud
                                      > > and he didn't go down without a fight! LOL!
                                      > >
                                      > > Randy Bear

                                    • omar alvarez
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Feb 26, 2013
                                        I just cooked in Texas in November ,  for a public affair over 4000 showed up to eat, the Health Dept was no where in sight.

                                         Imagine what that would do the WCCO in Utah ......

                                          Here in Idaho the Health Dept has never bothered us .........

                                        Looks like I won't be cooking in Arizona any time soon..................

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Feb 26, 2013
                                          The Government to govern least governs best.  Texas legislation meets every other year.  During one session they tackle state laws. during the next session they tackle state budget.
                                          Has to make you think why businesses are steady moving to texas.

                                          Randy Hebert

                                          www.LeChienCookers.com

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Feb 26, 2013
                                            The ANLS cookoff had been running fine for several years; then last year, one of the food vendors not part of the chuckwagons, was being inspected and got his panties in a wad when they cited him for an infraction. He snitched out the chuckwagon cookoff, asking "What about them guys?". Thats when they came over and tried to shut us down in the middle of cooking as we had no Health Dept permits. The promoters had to go buy permits, one for EACH wagon, at a cost of $100 each, plus had to submit to inspection. Ten wagons gets to be a chunk of change for that. Until then, it was kind of flying under the radar.

                                            Mark

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Feb 26, 2013
                                              The Chandler Chuckwagon cookoff, when they applied for the permits, the county was requiring that we not only had a roof/tarp/canopy overhead, but a flooring as well, and get this: FOUR WALLS AROUND THE COOKING AREA! Yea, that's real smart.....build a fire with hardwood coals, and then enclose it with folks inside cooking, with an antique WOODEN wagon! They had to get the fire marshall to override them and point out the hazard of a fire in an enclosure, duh!

                                            • Ken
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Feb 26, 2013
                                                We were at the National DOG last fall and never saw a health official or any type of inspections, and we were on property which is owned by the City of Canton Texas.

                                                In general, regulations for commercial cooking and catering are getting stricter in Texas. I accept that every state has their own regulations and concerns for food safety, and that federal regulations make it much more difficult for everyone.

                                                However, in Texas, adverse drouth conditions over the last few years have shut down more DOGs than health regulation.

                                                Ken