Jim Lewis's Lemon Cake

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 19, 2013
      I love this cake, and think of Jim whenever we make it, because he made it so many times when we were privileged to cook with him. This is the recipe exactly as Jim sent it to me. If you share it, be sure you give credit to Jim Lewis and Earl Timmons. Ronda

      Jim Lewis's Lemon Cake recipe

      For the cake

      one box lemon cake mix, any brand.
      One 3 oz box lemon jell-o
      3/4th cup vegetable oil
      3/4th cup water or milk
      Four eggs

      Mix this all together and beat well. Pour into a 10 inch deep Dutch oven that has been sprayed with Pam. This cake calls for a tube cake pan. To make the Dutch oven a tube cake pan, I use a tomato paste can with both ends removed. Oil and flour this tube and place
      it in the center of the pot before pouring in the batter.
      Bake at 350 degrees about 25 minutes or until tests done.

      When cake is done, remove tube, and invert the pot on the lid, remove the pot from the cake and invert the cake onto a platter or cutting board. The cake will then be right side up.

      While cake is still hot punch about 100 holes in it with a meat fork or a small stick, and glaze with 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice mixed with 2 cups confectioners sugar

      Enjoy.

      I got this recipe from my camping and fishing partner, Earl Timmons, of Shreveport, La., and have cooked it often.

      Jim Lewis
    • Bob Zukowski
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 21, 2013
        I am definitely going to try this one! Thanks, Bob

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 21, 2013
          Hope you like it! Now I need to find his Orange Pineapple sherbet recipe. I've been thinking about that ever since I posted the cake recipe. Lol!! Ronda

          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Zukowski" <bob.zukowski@...> wrote:

          > I am definitely going to try this one! Thanks, Bob
          >
          > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "rlb_51" <rlb_51@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I love this cake, and think of Jim whenever we make it, because he made it so many times when we were privileged to cook with him. This is the recipe exactly as Jim sent it to me. If you share it, be sure you give credit to Jim Lewis and Earl Timmons. Ronda
          > >
          > > Jim Lewis's Lemon Cake recipe
          > >
          > > For the cake
          > >
          > > one box lemon cake mix, any brand.
          > > One 3 oz box lemon jell-o
          > > 3/4th cup vegetable oil
          > > 3/4th cup water or milk
          > > Four eggs
          > >
          > > Mix this all together and beat well. Pour into a 10 inch deep Dutch oven that has been sprayed with Pam. This cake calls for a tube cake pan. To make the Dutch oven a tube cake pan, I use a tomato paste can with both ends removed. Oil and flour this tube and place
          > > it in the center of the pot before pouring in the batter.
          > > Bake at 350 degrees about 25 minutes or until tests done.
          > >
          > > When cake is done, remove tube, and invert the pot on the lid, remove the pot from the cake and invert the cake onto a platter or cutting board. The cake will then be right side up.
          > >
          > > While cake is still hot punch about 100 holes in it with a meat fork or a small stick, and glaze with 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice mixed with 2 cups confectioners sugar
          > >
          > > Enjoy.
          > >
          > > I got this recipe from my camping and fishing partner, Earl Timmons, of Shreveport, La., and have cooked it often.
          > >
          > > Jim Lewis

        • Chuck
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 25, 2013
            I made this cake and it was sooo good. I had a fresh lemon so I used it on the top for the juice. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 25, 2013
              You're welcome - glad you liked it! Ronda

              --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck" <chuck.frost7@...> wrote:

              > I made this cake and it was sooo good. I had a fresh lemon so I used it on the top for the juice. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

            • mvaemt
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 25, 2013
                Ok, here is where I step on some toes and put my foot in my mouth.

                On Sunday, March 10, 2013 at the InfoAge (Camp Evans),
                2201 Marconi Road, Wall, New Jersey 07719, I will be doing some
                Kosher cooking for the North East Region Jewish Committee on Scouting.

                Since I live on Long Island (NY) I guess I stepped on the Local IDOS (or Club) chapter.
                Sorry. I was just asked to do this on Sunday. I said sure I'll help out. (How do I get my foot out of my mouth.) If anyone is local to this Boy Scout Camp come on down. They will be giving out a CD with some cookbooks on them. This will be a fun time for all.

                Ken

                The Other Ken

              • omar alvarez

                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 25, 2013
                    Omar

                    Common curtsy is that the Dutch Oven group in the area should have been contacted and offered the chance to do the teaching. Foresting good relations between the local group and scouting is a method of gaining interest in Dutch Oven Cooking with youth and adults which would help keep the art of dutch oven cooking available for future generations. The BSA has changed their requirements to make the cooking merit badge part of the Eagle requirement.

                    Ken

                    The Other Ken

                  • John
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 25, 2013
                      I wouldnt worry about. They wanted Kosher & Jewish cooking. Sounds like Your the Expert. I bet not many DO Cooks can cook that way Right. As they say in Brooklyn " Don't Worry 'Bout It" Wishbone-Ks
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 25, 2013
                        Cooking Merit Badge for Eagle... I like it!

                        Randy Bear